Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 09:21 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm about halfway through Jayber Crow and I'm loving it.

It really does make me nostalgic for the days of my grandparents and many of the things that the narrator (Jayber) mentions strike a chord with me. Railroad tracks, counting the cars on a train, watching boats go by on the river, meeting interesting characters in a small town....all of those things bring back memories.
I'm about 4/5 through it now (not much time to read) and still enjoying it. He takes quite a philosophical/theological turn toward the end of the book. I read and re-read several passages and am still thinking about them. I'll be curious to see what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:55 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm about 4/5 through it now (not much time to read) and still enjoying it. He takes quite a philosophical/theological turn toward the end of the book. I read and re-read several passages and am still thinking about them. I'll be curious to see what you think.
I loved it, Marlow. The only parts I didn't enjoy as much as the other parts were those dealing with theology. However, he really never preached and the theology was actually woven into his view of the beauty of nature. Many of the things Jayber felt and thought were things I could identify with. He was simply a man who was searching for answers and using intelligence and instinct to find them. I liked the man tremendously. In fact, there were times when I wished I had known him.

The characters were so real to me. I actually had to remind myself several times that this was a work of fiction. When I finished the book I wanted to read it again.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:34 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've recently read both of these and they are very good. Of the two, Guernsey was my favorite but they are both good reads.

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
I loved Guernsey! I read it in one day because I couldn't put it down!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:11 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Dewdrop and Ketabcha-
I adored Guensey-- so thanks for the postmistress suggestion. I guess I will have to try that. I am having such a hard time lately- I enjoy reading but just can't seem to make?find? the time..............

Old 06-17-2011, 07:13 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,017 times
I just finished "Child of God," wild book. Going to begin "Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy" has anyone read this?

Old 06-17-2011, 07:42 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
I just finished "Child of God," wild book. Going to begin "Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy" has anyone read this?
I just recently read it. Not really my cup of tea, but I'm not really into sci-fi that much. I can see how people who do like sci-fi would enjoy it though. If that helps at all...

Old 06-17-2011, 08:29 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,284,580 times
Quote:
CHILD of GOD ............CORMAC McCARTHY

There is a phrase in that novel that still gives me the willies 15 years later
I remember it as "Ballard in a fright wig" maybe that's not word for word
all these years later..... but the image it evoked still haunts my psyche

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy--- was THE favorite novel of a friend whose preferences in books and movies were nearly identical to mine. I felt so bad, but I just could not get into it. I finally finished it. I was so relieved that he went on vacation before we had a chance to discuss it.

I understand HGTTG is almost a cosmic revelation for some. Perhaps similar to reading Carlos Castaneda in high school, it may be a case of "the right book at the right time".

I'd be interested in your experience with HGTTG.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:42 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
CHILD of GOD ............CORMAC McCARTHY

There is a phrase in that novel that still gives me the willies 15 years later
I remember it as "Ballard in a fright wig" maybe that's not word for word
all these years later..... but the image it evoked still haunts my psyche

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy--- was THE favorite novel of a friend whose preferences in books and movies were nearly identical to mine. I felt so bad, but I just could not get into it. I finally finished it. I was so relieved that he went on vacation before we had a chance to discuss it.

I understand HGTTG is almost a cosmic revelation for some. Perhaps similar to reading Carlos Castaneda in high school, it may be a case of "the right book at the right time".

I'd be interested in your experience with HGTTG.

Oh there were a lot of chills and grotesque moment in Child of God. Jeez, I've had trouble sleeping a few nights even...

I know HFTTG is a bit of a polarizing series. A friend of mine loves it and I promised to read it to discuss it...I've liked some of Adams' nonfiction, so I look forward to it

Old 06-17-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Just finished "Just Kids" by Patti Smith while In hospital. A great read, and a remarkable woman - what a life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Time Baroness View Post
Thanks for recommending Just Kids by Patti Smith! I will have to look for it. I love her more than words can say. What a poet.

A friend keeps saying "Don't buy it, just borrow my copy" Then nothing.
I think a trip to the book store is imminent.

The Undertaking: Life Studies from the Dismal Trade
written by
Thomas Lynch .... the only poet and funeral director in Milford, MI

A unusual collection of poetry and short stories, meditative, ironic, devastating.

A constant companion for the last fourteen years, The Undertaking gave "Six Feet Under" creator Alan Ball a sense of the tone he wanted for the show.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Oh there were a lot of chills and grotesque moment in Child of God. Jeez, I've had trouble sleeping a few nights even...

I know HFTTG is a bit of a polarizing series. A friend of mine loves it and I promised to read it to discuss it...I've liked some of Adams' nonfiction, so I look forward to it
Yeah, I'd like to be able to tell you it gets better, no seriously it does. Soon you'll sublimate any lingering unease, only to BLINDSIDED and B***H slapped by your subconscious when you least expect it!
Just Kidding?

HGTTG -- being familiar with the author offers you an "IN" I didn't have.

I can see why the Word polarizing could be attached to HGTTG, God consciousness, universal truths, ...... You KNow What? How About ..... if I actually create or contribute something tangible, then open my mouth.

A possible antidote for CHILD of GOD--
see my post re: The Undertaking: Life Studies from the Dismal Trade
Nothing like death to put life into perspective

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books