Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 10:02 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times

Advertisements

Currently reading Twelve Might Orphans, about a football team during the depression. Not my usual fare, but a friend gave it to me. I am not impressed with the editing, but it's a good-enough read.

I am waiting to start The Hypnotist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 01:48 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I assume that you're referring to God of Animals. Did you finish it already? My gosh, how I absolutely adored that book.
No, I'm not through.
Spoiler
I'm at the part where dad bought a horse to be broken, and Alice is upset because he hasn't fixed the AC or bought her new clothes because she's outgrowing her others.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
No, I'm not through.
Read it slowly. Savor it. It's such a treasure.

I'd never heard of it until someone mentioned it on this forum. I'm so glad that she did. I'd never have known about it, or even bothered with it had I come across it on my own.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:48 PM

220 posts, read 282,608 times
I just finished Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis. It was interesting to read about the use of sabermetrics and economic principles to build a baseball team, and I enjoyed the book, but it's not as groundbreaking now as it was when it came out in 2003. I'm glad I finally read it, though, and can't wait for the movie to come out next month! We'll see how closely it follows the book.

I downloaded The Ridge by Michael Koryta on my Kindle as a suggestion from my friend St.LouieGal. I brought a bunch of non-fiction with me for my evacuation from the hurricane but I needed a book to get my mind off not knowing what happened to my house so I downloaded it last night. I'm only a chapter in but plan to read it tonight!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:20 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Read it slowly. Savor it. It's such a treasure.

I'd never heard of it until someone mentioned it on this forum. I'm so glad that she did. I'd never have known about it, or even bothered with it had I come across it on my own.
I love this forum so much, as I know most of you do. It's such a great source for finding new authors and books.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:07 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,807 times
Just finished James Patterson's Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, a very good and quick read. Made me cry, even though I KNEW it would make me cry before I read it. Now, I'm reading Patterson's Cat & Mouse, the 4th Alex Cross mystery. I've enjoyed all of them that I've read so far.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:38 AM

12 posts, read 26,880 times
I read All of the Harry Potter Books (Loads of fun).I like ver much.Books are my true friend.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:38 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janitorial1 View Post
I read All of the Harry Potter Books (Loads of fun).I like ver much.Books are my true friend.
I'm very fond of the Harry Potter books, too.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:38 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I'm more than halfway through Alas, Babylon. I had never heard of that book before reading about it on here. My first thought was that it wasn't nearly as dated as I thought it might be, and of course, I am of a generation that still has the frame of reference towards the Cold War.

My second thought was that One Second After was cribbed from this book, except for the fact that the author of One Second After wrote with an agenda, and I wished all his characterless characters a quick death.

Has anyone here read The Garden of Last Days by Andre Dubus? I"ll probably start that book next.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:05 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,258,704 times
I'm currently reading Now You See Her by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge. Quick read so ifar.

I just finished a really good book, it's a memoirs of sort about the author's father who was a propaganda tool of the Nazis during WWII. It's called The Mascot - Unraveling the Mystery of My Jewish Father's Nazi Boyhood, a true story about a man who finally opens up to his son about how he remembers escaping a massacre of Jews in Belarusa and their journey to discover the truth and missing pieces together. I highly recommend it. Oh, the author is Mark Kurzem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books