Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 10:57 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I agree but the movie is great.
Yes, LOVED the movie! Such a rarity that I don't like the book and like the movie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 01:14 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,884 times
Lately I haven't had much time to read! Usually I'm reading 4-5 books a month, & now I'm LUCKY to read one!

I did just re-read The Stolen Child by Keith Donahue because I'm considering recommending it to my book clug.

Also I'm currently reading Sabriel for that same book club...it's YA fantasy & not my "thing". And The Devil's Knot which is a true-crime book, it has been pretty interesting...I used to read a lot of true-crime, but stopped mostly because they were often like a newspapter 're-cap', with little delving into the bigger picture.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:36 AM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
This is why the book forum on CD is one of my favorites. I had never even heard of this book, Night, but just looked it up and sounds like something I would like to read so I just ordered it

I get many good book suggestions on here
I second this--I love this forum, too. It's great to "talk" to so many other readers.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:35 AM

417 posts, read 455,141 times
Just requested the first word-origin of language by christine keneally thanks to this forum. Also just requested the murder room by capuzzi thanks to this forum.
they do sound very interesting. ( hope so anyway)

Old 11-06-2010, 08:49 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,825 times
My book club will be reading Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett at some point this year so I picked up a copy and started it as it's quite long - about 1,000 pages. Although not the type of book I'd normally choose on my own I am enjoying it.

Meanwhile, I just finished The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova - another book club read. Although I didn't like it very much, I don't necessarily consider it a total waste of time. IMO it needed a good editor - about 300 pages too long so that the story itself dragged. But at the end, things were way too neatly tied up in the last few pages, almost as though the author had a deadline to meet and just wrapped things up in order to get it done.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:00 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Wow I just finished the help and it ran chills up my spine and it was so good I finished it in three days !!! Now I am onto this one The suspicions of Mr. Whicher : a shocking murder and the undoing of a great Victorian detective I hope it is good because thsi was a recomendation by a fellow reader and then after that I plan on reading The secret life of cee -cee wilkes , another recomendation from a fellow reader . Oh well enough for now will come back when I finish each one of these and if good will recomend them .

Old 11-06-2010, 09:04 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,825 times
My book club is also reading The Help this year, and I'm looking forward to that. Especially after reading everyone else's comments about it.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:12 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
I did not enjoy the Secret Life of Bees. It was just OK. There was something about her writing and descriptions that made the story very very slow and didn't completely bring the events to life. I would not recommend it, JMHO.
Agree. I was tempted not to finish this book. I thought it was very predictable.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:23 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
I am almost finished with Freedom and half way through Michener's Caribbean. I only read these two a chapter at a time. the book shop by Penelope Fitzgerald was recommended by one of the order guys at Powell's. It's a short book so shouldn't take long.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:45 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,707 times
just finished reading Leon Ledderman's "The God Particle", for those interested in physics, only, but written for the lay person, and, exactly as described on the cover "the funniest book about physics ever written"

In a lighter vein, Jasper Fford's "The Eyre Affair". . ..a must read for the real bibliophyles out there, and very entertaining.

Now started on "Ahab's Wife/ the stargazer" by S. J. Nasland, and loving it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books