Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
You're such a good egg!

Good thing that we can always share our lists of great books with each other here.
Ah shucks, thanks! Thankfully no one on here holds me up on the pedestal I think we hold you up on.

Definitely love that we can share our lists!! It's been so wonderful for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 09:08 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Taylor Stevens' "The Informationist"
Finished it, tonight (AFTER my studies, Dawn!), and the ending was true to the rest of the story. I wouldn't call it a "thriller" but it wasn't one I wanted to read in my last half-hour before sleeping. I read the author's interview notes at the end, and this is her first. The second (with the same protagonist), titled "The Innocent"
is previewed at the back. I didn't read the preview; I never do.

Probably I will read it, but I am not in any hurry to get it.

Next up: Jhumpa Lahiri's "Interpreter of Maladies" Dawn: I am expecting great things from this one!

Signing out for today.

Deb 8)

Old 06-27-2012, 02:25 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
Started "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. Up to page 95 and still can't get in to it totally. It's an ok read...but draggy to me. Nothing great happening yet. Some on here rave about that book, I just don't get what is so great about it so far. I hope it gets better..but...putting it aside and starting "The Beach House" by James Patterson.
I will go back to Pillars if this current book doesn't hold my interest. I find whenever I finish a good book, I have a tough time getting into another right away. I was really into "Beyond Recognition" by Ridley Pearson. Then read "Dead as a doornail" by Charlaine Harris. Then right after those two, I decided to finally try the 943 page Pillars of the Earth. I did not try to read it before, just because it was such a long read.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Ah shucks, thanks! Thankfully no one on here holds me up on the pedestal I think we hold you up on.

Definitely love that we can share our lists!! It's been so wonderful for me!
I'm feeling the pressure again! LOL!

I would NEVER have known about SO MANY great books if it weren't for you guys. Seriously. We are each such a fabulous resource to one another.

Quote:
Finished it, tonight (AFTER my studies, Dawn!), and the ending was true to the rest of the story. I wouldn't call it a "thriller" but it wasn't one I wanted to read in my last half-hour before sleeping. I read the author's interview notes at the end, and this is her first. The second (with the same protagonist), titled "The Innocent"
is previewed at the back. I didn't read the preview; I never do.

Probably I will read it, but I am not in any hurry to get it.

Next up: Jhumpa Lahiri's "Interpreter of Maladies" Dawn: I am expecting great things from this one!

Signing out for today.

Deb 8)
Good work, Deb!

The great thing about Interpreter of Maladies -- aside from the fact that it's GREAT -- is that, being short stories, you don't feel tied to it when you think you should be studying. You can just finish a story and get cracking on the accounting again.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:58 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:

I would NEVER have known about SO MANY great books if it weren't for you guys. Seriously. We are each such a fabulous resource to one another.
LOL!!

I love having come to this forum too! It is an absolutely awesome place to visit for book discussions and recommendations.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
You can just finish a story and get cracking on the accounting again.
Just passing the pressure along, eh, my friend!?

I'll have you know that I've just turned in my last homework assignment for the week, and now have Only to study for the two quizzes. (I am sure glad I started last Saturday, rather than waiting until class started on Monday!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
[This] is an absolutely awesome place to visit for book discussions and recommendations.
I agree completely, especially when one gets to know the persons who have similar reading preferences. Sadly, you guys read so much faster than I do, so now I have the problem of too many recommendations to choose from!

Off to walk Bigun before going back to study for those quizzes. Have a great day, everyone!

Old 06-27-2012, 09:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Just passing the pressure along, eh, my friend!?

I'll have you know that I've just turned in my last homework assignment for the week, and now have Only to study for the two quizzes. (I am sure glad I started last Saturday, rather than waiting until class started on Monday!)

I agree completely, especially when one gets to know the persons who have similar reading preferences. Sadly, you guys read so much faster than I do, so now I have the problem of too many recommendations to choose from!

Off to walk Bigun before going back to study for those quizzes. Have a great day, everyone!
No, no, Deb, no pressure. I promise.

I don't think that I'm a particularly quick reader. And work gets in the way. As does cooking dinner. And Artie. And, and, and...

Hugs to Bigun! I hope your studying goes well.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:50 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Ketabcha - I have just the book for you given your liking for dystopian fiction. I browsed through my pile, reading a few pages of each book - most of what I ordered was life on the rez, non-fiction, but I had also ordered Outpost by Adam Baker, and from the first line he grabs you and doesn't let do. I DID let go after 23 pages to do to the translation I have to do, but I think this book is going to be a real winner for those who like that sort of thing. He has to be a British writer because his characters are British.

These are the first couple of lines: Jane woke, stretched and decided to kill herself. If she hadn't found a reason to live by the end of the day she would jump from the rig. It felt good to have a plan.

And then the world kind of ends. I almost think there is a sequel but because I didn't know if this book would be any good, I didn't order it, but I am pretty sure I'll be checking out the author's other books, if there are any.

Phonelady - one of the books I got was Doc, by Mary Doria Russell. I remember you liked it and I liked the two other books of hers that I read.

Well, back to my work, while my roomba, my new BFF, zooms around the house. I told hubby that if the house goes up in flames, I'm grabbing the roomba. It's AMAZING! Like having the Jetson's housekeeper around!

Last edited by netwit; 06-27-2012 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: TWO typos! Blech!

Old 06-27-2012, 03:47 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Yes, netwit, you nailed it. That book is right up my alley and I just downloaded it to Boris the Kindle.
Thank you.

I'm reading a good one now. I so appreciate amazon sending emails about bargain books for the Kindle. I've found many that I want. The latest is War Brides by Helen Bryan. It's a cross between Mrs. Miniver and The Guernsy Literary and Potato Peel Society. I can't put it down. It's set in England during WWII and flash forwards to the 50th anniversary of V-E Day. I learn so many things from books like this. For instance, she refers to "Capability Brown" lakes. So I looked it up and found that he was a treasured landscape artist (not painter) who designed fabulous English gardens back in the 1700s. His name was actually Lancelot but everyone called him Capability. I love tidbits like that.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Boris the Kindle.
I love tidbits like that.
Boris! I love that! I had a friend in my youth that named her car -- though right now I cannot recall its name... Must be the forty years since has killed off some brain cells -- or maybe it was the 70s!

I just finished my Income Tax quiz -- got a 100%! I'm celebrating by picking up a book! (After I fold my laundry.... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books