Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 01:56 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

By the way, this tide-me-over-until-the-real-book-comes -- you know, the one that I'm destined to hate because I've built it up to be THE BEST BOOK EVER in my head? -- book is really good: Glitter and Glue, a memoir by Kelly Corrigan. I've read her other two (also memoirs) and she's a terrific writer. She has such a clever wit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 05:25 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
We-ll..............

Seems like I'm reading 6-7 right now, some just started, some long ago started.

I am Jennie by Jennie Ketcham (within 100 pages of finishing it this time)
Caprice by George Bowering
Scorpion of the Sea by P T Deutermann
The first Lord of the Rings book
Park Ranger: True Stories from a Ranger's Career in America's National Parks by Nancy Eileen Muleady-Mecham
Judgement at Proteus by Timothy Zahn
Plus the 70's book about house building

Plus Death in Holy Orders by P. D. James has been sitting on the sofa for a few days, waiting for me to pick it up, open the cover, start reading, and giving it a book mark.

Read, read, read!

Old 01-10-2015, 02:06 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times
Hey Dawn, the library just got in Glitter and Glue for me---must not have been much of a waiting list, even though you and I are looking forward to it.

I just completed The Last Days of California by Mary Miller. It's about a family (mother, fundamentalist father who can't hold a job and has a gambling problem and two teen girls, one pregnant) on a road trip from Alabama to California so they can be raptured there. Not much to the ending except that perhaps 15 year old narrator Jess is a little wiser, but good writing and interesting to me what it would be like to be a teen and not believe in your parents' religion that they are insisting on. Some quirky insights about other things like male-female relationships, appearance, travel, and so on.

Started Small Victories by Anne Lamott. The usual stuff. Worth thumbing through from the library but not paying for outright (tiny volume, with recycled essays). Not a total loss if she brings a moment or two of grace (or reminding me to look for it/accept it), even if I've heard it before.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Hey Dawn, the library just got in Glitter and Glue for me---must not have been much of a waiting list, even though you and I are looking forward to it.
Jazzy, Glitter and Glue -- which is really very good -- is the one that I'm reading while I'm biding my time until the one that I'm really waiting for is finally released on Tuesday. That one I'm pretty sure will have a waiting list at your library -- it's called The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.

The Girl on the Train: A Novel - Kindle edition by Paula Hawkins. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:04 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times
You are right, Dawn---184 ahead of me! Don't often read mysteries/suspense, but this does sound good, so I am now 185 on the list...

Old 01-10-2015, 08:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I love Kelly Corrigan - her writing about her mother reminds me so much of mine!

I am reading Gone with the Wind - I haven't read it since high school. The writing isn't very sophisticated or complex. It almost has an old-fashioned "young adult" feel to it. Lots of very detailed description of clothing, buildings, landscapes... I'm enjoying it, but surprised all over again with it as well.

I gave up on Dept. of Speculation. What a strange mess. I don't get the great reviews - it just never clicked for me!

Old 01-10-2015, 09:51 PM

Finished I am Jennie

started Speedbumps by Teri Garr

Old 01-10-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I love Kelly Corrigan - her writing about her mother reminds me so much of mine!
Yeah, she's pretty terrific. I liked her other books too -- The Middle Place more than Lift, but they were both good. She writes the way I imagine she'd speak if we were sitting on the couch yapping.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:44 AM

Here I am in the den with half of the books I am currently reading (Lord/Rings, Park Ranger, Scorpion/Sea, Death-Holy Orders, Secret History MI 6) in the hour while the laundry does its first pass at drying..........................

..................................the cat may have other plans.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
I am giving up on Karl Ove Knausgaard's "A Time for Everything". I got about a quarter of the way through, and quit, and read something else. Then went back to Knausgaard, and skipped around, and still wasn't interested. He tells a great story about the lives of people, vivid and descriptive, but way, way too much philosphizing in between. I liked "My Struggle" a lot, but there, too, I just learned to skp the parts where he rambled through philosophical thoughts. "Everything" is much worse, at least half the text of blocks of many pages of philosophizing. Knausgaard's writing brings Robert Persig to mind, for those of you who read Zen/Motorcycle Maintenance.

The "something else" I went to was Peter Carey's "My Life as a Fake". Which I didn't really bond with through about the fist half of the book. But then it shifted gears, went off on a new angle, and I quite liked it. Carey is a wonderful writer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books