Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 10:56 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,230 times

Advertisements

Im continuing on in the Supernaural book series based on the show
Im on Book #4 Heart of the Dragon
these books are really good and a lot like the show I can never put them down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 11:06 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
Im continuing on in the Supernaural book series based on the show
Im on Book #4 Heart of the Dragon
these books are really good and a lot like the show I can never put them down!
This sounds fun, Pinetreelover -- looks like Amber may have come to your rescue!

Added to my TRL. Thanks!

Old 08-07-2015, 11:49 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,230 times
haha I hope so! If you love the show you will love these books! Even if you don't watch the show they are still a thrill to read mixed with witty humour and dark supernatural mysteries!

and cant forget the man candy on the book covers!

Old 08-07-2015, 02:30 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,460,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I also loved Middlesex, but not the other books.

Okay, I need (pretty please!) someone to read Dietland by Sarai Walker so I can discuss it with someone (will never know anyone in real life who would). I admit I was hesitant, thinking it would be inane chick lit about an overweight woman and her foibles with dieting. I assumed she would struggle but then either lose the weight and find a guy or (less likely) she would find a guy who would love her for her. The cover photo shows a cupcake as a bomb!

http://www.amazon.com/Dietland-Sarai...words=Dietland

It is so not chick lit. It is definitely a feminist book that completely addresses our obsession with weight, appearance, and women's sexual desirability. The author has a doctorate in feminist studies. She is a good writer---it's not the most lyrical book I have ever read, but that wouldn't be appropriate for the subject matter. I actually think this should be required reading for women of all ages, but especially younger women.

It's not for the faint-hearted. There is a definite misandry here. These women get revenge on men...and in a violent way. There are no kumbaya moments where women and men sit around a campfire communing. But I think this book is every bit as important as Erica Jong's Fear of Flying was so many years ago.

So now I am seeing whether I like A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler. So far---okay, not her best.
Ok, no need to twist my arm I picked up a copy of, Dietland, today, when I went collect a couple of other items, I had on hold. I was intrigued because of what you wrote, especially since it's not of the part I highlighted and hopefully it's not over the top like that vengilanty ladies group book series someone, not from this forum, recommended a while back. Anyway, I needed a break from the books I've been reading so I thought why not give this one a try before I start back on the same line of books I've been reading for the past couple of months.

I'll start reading it sometime this evening.

I

Old 08-07-2015, 02:46 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I just started Early from the Dance by David Payne.

http://www.amazon.com/Early-Dance-Da...from+the+dance

I'm only on the second chapter, so I've got no verdict on it yet.

I happened across the book because the author's newest book (no, I'd never heard of David Payne either) just came out and I want to read it too. That one's called Barefoot to Avalon.

Barefoot to Avalon, David Payne - Amazon.com

But I'm starting with Early from the Dance.

ETA: Regarding Early from the Dance, I'm a bit perturbed. All the dialogue is within the dense paragraphs, all with "he said" and "then I said". I guess it's supposed to sound like the narrator telling you how it went ("and he said ... and then I said ... and then I took a sip of my drink ... and then I said ..."). I wonder if this is going to grate on me (maybe it already is?) to the point where I give up on yet another book. Sigh...

ETA2: I give up. I'm not even at 7% and I already found my third spelling mistake. Between the typos and the embedded dialogue, I've had enough.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 08-07-2015 at 03:26 PM..

Old 08-07-2015, 03:14 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
I ended up with Outlander at the book club. I tried it once and didn't get into.... so I'll try again!

Hubby is less happy with choice, but I told him it has a lot of history, and he's Irish.... so at least the area interests him... ish.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-07-2015, 04:42 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
I found this on Amazon for free but I already read it. If you enjoy mysteries you will enjoy this. I love a strong female character and Josiah fits the bill.
http://www.amazon.com/Death-HoneyBee...&_bbtype=email

Old 08-08-2015, 05:22 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times
TRosa, so excited that you are starting Dietland! Let me know what you think. The book was thought-provoking and eye-opening...and left me conflicted (about male-female issues, weight, sexuality, etc.).

Old 08-08-2015, 11:10 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,139 times
"Dead Wrong" by Richard Belzer.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:38 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,427,533 times
Just finished: The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
About to start: Welcome to Braggsville by T. Geronimo Johnson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books