Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2017, 08:31 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times

Advertisements

No Way Down: Life and Death on K2, by Graham Bowley

In the spirit of John Krakauer's Into Thin Air, this book recounts the 2008 disaster on the world's toughest mountain - 800 feet shorter than Everest but much more difficult and far more lethal.

I'm a sucker for a good true-mountaineering tale, and I ran across this one today in my local library... (thanks again, Andrew Carnegie!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 08:21 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
^^^ The Lilac Girls is excellent; one of the few books I would read again. Glad I bought it in hardcover for a keeper.
Just put a hold in my library, 13 ahead of me

Old 02-12-2017, 11:21 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Beautiful Lies, Lisa Unger
Could be one of my all-time favorites. Love it!

Old 02-12-2017, 04:07 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
No Way Down: Life and Death on K2, by Graham Bowley

In the spirit of John Krakauer's Into Thin Air, this book recounts the 2008 disaster on the world's toughest mountain - 800 feet shorter than Everest but much more difficult and far more lethal.

I'm a sucker for a good true-mountaineering tale, and I ran across this one today in my local library... (thanks again, Andrew Carnegie!)
That was only so-so...

But I'm happy to report that James McPherson's Pulitzer-winning history of the Civil War, Battle Cry of Freedom, is absolutely enthralling!

Old 02-13-2017, 02:34 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,731 times
Just finished "The Space between us" by Anna McPartlin. It was quite moving and entertaining. I came upon it by accident b/c I was looking for "The Space between us" by Thrity Umrigarwhich I started this weekend. This one seems very interesting and I cannot wait to get some reading time today.

However, it is good sometimes to stray from the path and read a book that one just hadn't in mind before...

Old 02-13-2017, 05:45 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I was looking for "The Space between us" by Thrity Umrigarwhich I started this weekend. This one seems very interesting and I cannot wait to get some reading time today.

However, it is good sometimes to stray from the path and read a book that one just hadn't in mind before...

I'm glad you liked the first one. I read the one by Thrity Umrigar and really liked it.

I read a bit of fluff over the weekend, Daughters of The Bride by Susan Mallery. It was OK…sex alert in a couple of chapters.

I never got into That's Not What They Meant. It was written too much like a history book for me to enjoy.

I just started All the Shah's Men: An American Coup and the Roots of Middle East Terror
by Stephen Kinzer which I think is going to be very good. It tells the history of Iran and how the British and the US teamed up to overthrow a democratic leader in 1953 all for oil. It changed the views of how America was thought of by them and probably shaped how they are today towards us.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...the_Shah_s_Men

After that I picked up lots of goodies from the library

Old 02-13-2017, 11:43 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,557,165 times
Lucky Bastard (Joe Buck)

Sportscaster Joe Buck's autobiography.. Stories about Buck growing up as the son of a sportscaster, and how that experience shaped his career path. Some funny accounts from Buck's childhood, combined with stories & insights from his adult, professional life (including opinions of contemporary sports' events).
I'm about 2/3rds finished. It's a pretty good read.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:57 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Okay, let's play a game. How many pages (out of the 878 pages that is 4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster) do you think I'll read before giving up?

I have no business starting a book this length with so much going on in my life, but it landed in my lap and I read the first [I don't know how many -- I don't do math -- amounts to 3%] pages and am enjoying it. So far. So? Bets? Where do you think I'll end up (percentage/pages/whatever) before I cry "uncle"?

Old 02-13-2017, 06:10 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Okay, let's play a game. How many pages (out of the 878 pages that is 4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster) do you think I'll read before giving up?

I have no business starting a book this length with so much going on in my life, but it landed in my lap and I read the first [I don't know how many -- I don't do math -- amounts to 3%] pages and am enjoying it. So far. So? Bets? Where do you think I'll end up (percentage/pages/whatever) before I cry "uncle"?
Wait! Before you place your bets, you should know: The writing is very dense. There's no dialogue to speak of (pun intended). Paragraphs can run -- unbroken -- for an entire Kindle page. Just letting you know so that you don't aim too high.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:41 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

I don't know but it kind of sounds great. I might give it a whirl after I finish what I'm reading now.

(Psst. I bought a horse today! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books