Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 10:33 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,423,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Does it ridicule or call into question any particular branch of Christianity?

There is a difference between wanting to help others and just wanting to shame others because their beliefs aren't your beliefs.
I find it strange/hypocritical that your particular sect of Christianity opposes smoking, but has no problem with the blood-letting death of a spouse/child, or that of victim shaming a child because the perpetrator did not confess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 05:20 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,013,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I mean, how many pages is somebody gonna get out of,"Is smoking a sin?"

1 page?

Everyone answers with a yes or a no, and it's one page.

If there was ever a thread that needed off topic conversation, this be it.

How many threads actually stay on subject Hans. In actuality they evolve

Old 07-06-2021, 05:23 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,013,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
So a person who is Christian and smokes can take two different paths. They can convince themselves that smoking is ok. There is nothing in the Bible that says not to smoke. After all, Tobacco grows naturally, right?

Or, they can understand that when the NT (Christian Greek Scriptures) were written we were given principles to live by rather than laws written in stone. They can reason the Bible also doesn't mention anything about cocaine or heroin or meth which were derived directly or indirectly from plants. But just because those plants grow naturally doesn't mean we should use them in ways that bring harm to us.

One thing though that should really be in the forefront is to separate the practice of smoking or whatever practice x, y, and z from the person. Just my opinion but I think it's really important to take care when using the word sin. I think it puts people on the defensive but it's not meant to. Rather, God's message to us is to think about the choices we make so that we don't harm ourselves or others. It's out of love not to condemn or make us feel bad about ourselves but to keep safe and redeem.

There is one thing to consider 4, in a way it does. Romans 13 brings out that Christians are to be obedient to laws of their land, if cocaine, heroin, or meth is against the law, it is off limits to a Christian. You grasp the principles for sure, a Christian will have respect for the sanctity of life, and will not deliberately do things to harm it.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:32 AM

23,243 posts, read 10,531,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
There is one thing to consider 4, in a way it does. Romans 13 brings out that Christians are to be obedient to laws of their land, if cocaine, heroin, or meth is against the law, it is off limits to a Christian. You grasp the principles for sure, a Christian will have respect for the sanctity of life, and will not deliberately do things to harm it.
Yea, I smoke weed, its again the law and thus a sin, but it isnt to me. I dont care who says that its wrong, they put themselves in my shoes, they would do the same thing.

That goes for.illegal pharmaceutical drugs, if I get my hands on them, I dont see sin in it, but again, thats me.

If there was in mercy, a doctor would give me pain medication but since they changed the laws, nobody can get pain medication. I know several old people like me with severe arthritis, severe back problems with multiple ruptured discs needing surgery, and they cant get a stupid vicodin lol. So many people committed suicide over those laws because they just couldn't deal anymore.

That is where I am right now, if I knew somebody with heroin, I would stockpile it and never feel a tad of guilt right up to the point of welcoming death when it kills me.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:09 AM

732 posts, read 213,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Yea, I smoke weed, its again the law and thus a sin, but it isnt to me. I dont care who says that its wrong, they put themselves in my shoes, they would do the same thing.

That goes for.illegal pharmaceutical drugs, if I get my hands on them, I dont see sin in it, but again, thats me.

If there was in mercy, a doctor would give me pain medication but since they changed the laws, nobody can get pain medication. I know several old people like me with severe arthritis, severe back problems with multiple ruptured discs needing surgery, and they cant get a stupid vicodin lol. So many people committed suicide over those laws because they just couldn't deal anymore.

That is where I am right now, if I knew somebody with heroin, I would stockpile it and never feel a tad of guilt right up to the point of welcoming death when it kills me.
I'm all for cannabis being medicinal because it possesses probably more medical value than anything it seems like, so much untouched testing. It has been proven to stop tumor growth, just depends how it's applied in different situations. If it can aid your health, I can't be against it. I've always had trouble with the "law of the land" concept that would make something like cannabis wrong. Alcohol kills, cannabis doesn't kill. Most people don't have a clue about it though. I believe it keeps people from suicide too. I can understand your heroin comment, if you have excess pain, I dont see any wrong personally, only the abusers are the wrong.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:48 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,100,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKurreto View Post
I'm all for cannabis being medicinal because it possesses probably more medical value than anything it seems like, so much untouched testing. It has been proven to stop tumor growth, just depends how it's applied in different situations. If it can aid your health, I can't be against it. I've always had trouble with the "law of the land" concept that would make something like cannabis wrong. Alcohol kills, cannabis doesn't kill. Most people don't have a clue about it though. I believe it keeps people from suicide too. I can understand your heroin comment, if you have excess pain, I dont see any wrong personally, only the abusers are the wrong.
Do some deep research on cannabis and how and why it became illegal, you might be surprised and a bit upset about the politics...

Old 07-06-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Do some deep research on cannabis and how and why it became illegal, you might be surprised and a bit upset about the politics...
I've read and heard some ridiculous reasons for banning it. I would rather ban alcohol and legalize cannabis. Big pharma doesn't want cannabis legalized because they would lose billions of dollars a year when people grow their own medications in there back yards

Old 07-06-2021, 03:05 PM

16,737 posts, read 15,747,697 times
Quote:
I've read and heard some ridiculous reasons for banning it. I would rather ban alcohol and legalize cannabis. Big pharma doesn't want cannabis legalized because they would lose billions of dollars a year when people grow their own medications in there back yards
Study some history. We tried banning alcohol. That didn't work. Instead we got a whole underground economy to supply what people want. We created the mafia to supply alcohol.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with moderate alcohol consumption.

Old 07-06-2021, 05:39 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,100,822 times
Quote:
Congressman Harry Anslinger....

Old 07-06-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Study some history. We tried banning alcohol. That didn't work. Instead we got a whole underground economy to supply what people want. We created the mafia to supply alcohol.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with moderate alcohol consumption.
I agree with the black market situation, only makes bad guys richer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity