Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2021, 11:22 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,866,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I am not interested in stupidity, nor the ignorant garbage you have been taught, ... Mr. King James?
Go and learn the true meaning of words without mixing and blended them to mean what they don't.
I do believe that the kjv is inspired and inerrant as concerning doctrine...

That God had an intimate involvement in the translation of the holy scriptures into the English language, to produce what we call the kjv today.

Jesus said that the way to life is indeed narrow and that there are few who find it (Matthew 7:13-14).

I do believe that trusting the kjv is in fact an aspect of that narrow way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 11:22 PM

368 posts, read 393,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
Won't it be jolly to be singing with the angels in heaven, knowing that your child is meanwhile screaming in the eternal torments of hell?

Who can honestly say they'd be fine with it?

I am not asking for scriptural references alone, but for the human, emotional and psychological aspects of the situation.
Getting back to the original question, St. Thomas Aquinas addressed this very issue in the three Articles of Question 94 of the Supplement to Part III of the Summa Theologiae. If you are interested in his consideration of the question (warning: it uses technical philosophical terms), you will find it here: https://www.newadvent.org/summa/5094.htm

Old 09-04-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
Getting back to the original question, St. Thomas Aquinas addressed this very issue in the three Articles of Question 94 of the Supplement to Part III of the Summa Theologiae. If you are interested in his consideration of the question (warning: it uses technical philosophical terms), you will find it here: https://www.newadvent.org/summa/5094.htm
Unfortunately, that is not a safe website for my browser.

Old 09-04-2021, 11:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,437,601 times
Quote:
In your ignorance, you have ignored this before, however for the reader I will repeat it again: Gehenna is the designation of the valley of Hinnom located outside of Jerusalem. It’s the place where trash, animal carcasses and dead bodies were burned. Now, tell me, is that fire still burning? Of course not, it was only unquenchable, as long as - there was something to burn. You need to do some in depth studying and research, instead of relying on your English translations. In addition, never, is not an indication of forever and ever, neither is it associated with unending torment. It merely means that it will not be extinguished, until its purpose is completed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
No; because in Mark 9:42-48, Jesus does not identify that place as Gehenna; but as HELL.

You keep shifting the goalposts.

First hell is defined in your eyes as Hades and/or Sheol; and when that doesn't work, you change it to meaning Gehenna.

But hell isn't defined as Gehenna in Mark 9:42-48; it is defined as hell; so you are going to have to stick with your prior definition that it is Sheol or Hades.
Quote:
I am not interested in stupidity, nor the ignorant garbage you have been taught, ... Mr. King James?
Go and learn the true meaning of words without mixing and blended them to mean what they don't.

BTW - your post was the most ignorant that I have ever read.

You really have no idea what you are talking about?
Quote:
I do believe that the kjv is inspired and inerrant as concerning doctrine...

That God had an intimate involvement in the translation of the holy scriptures into the English language, to produce what we call the kjv today.

Jesus said that the way to life is indeed narrow and that there are few who find it (Matthew 7:13-14).

I do believe that trusting the kjv is in fact an aspect of that narrow way.
In the Old English "hell," denoted that which is covered (i.e., the grave).

Last edited by Jerwade; 09-04-2021 at 11:55 PM..

Old 09-04-2021, 11:59 PM

63,995 posts, read 40,292,590 times
Quote:
In the Old English "hell," denoted that which is covered (i.e., hidden or unseen, i.e., the grave).
JBF has completely redefined and epitomized Trout's Fundashield Of Determined Ignorance (FODI).

Old 09-05-2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:
So, apply it, as Jesus did, to Mark 9:42-48.

Old 09-05-2021, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
So, apply it, as Jesus did, to Mark 9:42-48.
Gehenna is the designation of the valley of Hinnom located outside of Jerusalem. It’s the place where trash, animal carcasses and dead bodies were burned. Now, tell me, is that fire still burning? Of course not, it was only unquenchable, as long as - there was something to burn. You need to do some in depth studying and research, instead of relying on your English translations. In addition, never, is not an indication of forever and ever, neither is it associated with unending torment. It merely means that it will not be extinguished, until its purpose is completed.

Old 09-05-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Gehenna is the designation of the valley of Hinnom located outside of Jerusalem. It’s the place where trash, animal carcasses and dead bodies were burned. Now, tell me, is that fire still burning? Of course not, it was only unquenchable, as long as - there was something to burn. You need to do some in depth studying and research, instead of relying on your English translations. In addition, never, is not an indication of forever and ever, neither is it associated with unending torment. It merely means that it will not be extinguished, until its purpose is completed.
However I fear for you that this concept that hell is not an everlasting punishment will deceive you into thinking that the consequences for sin are less than they really are; and so you will continue on as a sinner, and, thinking that there will be no eternal consequences, yet deceived, you will end up facing eternal consequences.

For hell (i.e. the furnace of fire) is meant to be a deterrent as concerning those who work iniquity; even as Jesus taught in Matthew 13:41-42. Also Matthew 7:23 and Matthew 25:41.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:04 AM

368 posts, read 393,202 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, that is not a safe website for my browser.
There are any number of sites on the internet where you can find a translation of the Summa Theologiae (also known as the Summa Theologica.) Just use your favorite search engine to find one your browser likes, and then go to the place in the "Supplement" to Part 3 that I indicated above.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
However I fear for you that this concept that hell is not an everlasting punishment will deceive you into thinking that the consequences for sin are less than they really are; and so you will continue on as a sinner, and, thinking that there will be no eternal consequences, yet deceived, you will end up facing eternal consequences.
The ignorance you exhibit is not impressive, however, if you want to focus on being a sinner that's your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity