Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 11:37 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami's nightlife scene is on NYC's level. LV is debatable, because it was built for the sole-purpose of nightlife.

See I would term it the other way...I would say that LV's nightlife is on par with NY while Miami's worldwide nightlife is debatable..

I dont see how Miami's nightlife can be on par with NY's when it is for the most part a tourist destination and a college town...what business people, young professionals or what people other than celebrities and college students frequent Miami's night spots?

Maybe real estate moguls I suppose? IDK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 11:41 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I sure am seeing a lot of ignorance (or denial) with regard to Miami's entertainment scene. Have some of you even ever seen the Entertainment Section of the Miami Herald? Say what you will about the city (it's not one of my favorites, either), but one thing that it has is a robust cultural scene...and yes, it goes well beyond bars and beaches.
Among Miami's cultural assets is one of the finest opera companies IME.

Florida Grand Opera

So true. I hope I get to go to Art Basel down there one day.

Art | Basel | Miami Beach - Home

A lot of people underestimate the robust art scene in Miami, sort of how people underestimate LA's cultural offerings. I believe they're forces to be reckoned with

Old 02-16-2010, 11:41 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
I see, I see. Miami's bar scene isn't on par with other cities, but everything else you said Miami is up there with. Especially festivals. For some reason people think Miami's nightlife only consist of 2 or 3 clubs on Washington Ave in South Beach. That couldn't be furthest from the truth. ESPECIALLY if you include the WHOLE South Florida Metro Area.
That's understandable. Typically, when I think of city's nightlifes that would most appeal to me, I generally look for a good live music scene, and everything else I would find appealing in a cities nightlife tends follow (music festivals, great bars, fantastic music venues, etc.) This is why I've never really found Miami's nightlife to be all that appealing because it seemed to lack a great live music scene, but I could be wrong. For all I know, Miami has a fantastic local music scene that ranges in every genre from indie to jazz to blues to electronic, but from and outsiders perspective the only stuff I've heard coming out of the city is hip hop. Is this just a misconception? I know Atlanta is often miss labeled as JUST a hip hop city which couldn't be further from the truth. Is it the same with Miami?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:42 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Your stressed? pfft!

I have an outstanding balance for school up to $2000, I got to buy some new roters for my car, and my laptop battery is dead and I had my history research paper (5 pages) saved on there and it's due Friday!

But, besides that I'm good lol

WOO-SAH!!!!

Donate plasma, that's what I did.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:47 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
See I would term it the other way...I would say that LV's nightlife is on par with NY while Miami's worldwide nightlife is debatable..

I dont see how Miami's nightlife can be on par with NY's when it is for the most part a tourist destination and a college town...what business people, young professionals or what people other than celebrities and college students frequent Miami's night spots?

Maybe real estate moguls I suppose? IDK
You say Las Vegas is on par with NY, then say Miami is not since it is mostly a tourist destination and college town? I ask you...what business people, young professionals frequent Las Vegas night spots? Last time I checked Las Vegas wouldn't even exist without tourism. Miami is a major financial center.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:48 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
That's understandable. Typically, when I think of city's nightlifes that would most appeal to me, I generally look for a good live music scene, and everything else I would find appealing in a cities nightlife tends follow (music festivals, great bars, fantastic music venues, etc.) This is why I've never really found Miami's nightlife to be all that appealing because it seemed to lack a great live music scene, but I could be wrong. For all I know, Miami has a fantastic local music scene that ranges in every genre from indie to jazz to blues to electronic, but from and outsiders perspective the only stuff I've heard coming out of the city is hip hop. Is just a misconception? I know Atlanta is often miss labeled as JUST a hip hop city which couldn't be further from the truth. Is it the same with Miami?
With Miami, it's Hip-Hop, Reggae, All sorts of Latin Music, Electronica, Zouk, Kompa(Haitian Music) and others.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:52 AM

631 posts, read 1,228,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
That's understandable. Typically, when I think of city's nightlifes that would most appeal to me, I generally look for a good live music scene, and everything else I would find appealing in a cities nightlife tends follow (music festivals, great bars, fantastic music venues, etc.) This is why I've never really found Miami's nightlife to be all that appealing because it seemed to lack a great live music scene, but I could be wrong. For all I know, Miami has a fantastic local music scene that ranges in every genre from indie to jazz to blues to electronic, but from and outsiders perspective the only stuff I've heard coming out of the city is hip hop. Is this just a misconception? I know Atlanta is often miss labeled as JUST a hip hop city which couldn't be further from the truth. Is it the same with Miami?

Yes Hip Hop is Just one aspect of Miami you have raggae Latin also. And Atlanta is looked at has Hip Hop city because thats the dominate genre of music. Almost every race nowadays listens too it Then you have to think about all the record labels Rappers etc that hail out of Atlanta. Lots Of R&B and Hip Hop Artist come to record here in Atlanta too.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:55 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
With Miami, it's Hip-Hop, Reggae, All sorts of Latin Music, Electronica, Zouk, Kompa(Haitian Music) and others.
That sounds like a pretty unique scene. I went to a Reggae concert in Austin a while back and it was really tight. I've been meaning to make the Austin Reggae Fest, but haven't yet.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:56 AM

631 posts, read 1,228,348 times
Quote:
Rght Polo Im a native and I guess Being a Native of Miami you pretty much No the root and soul of the city since yI have spent most of your life inn... Theres so many genres of music

You have the Ultra music festival, Miami Blues festival are some music fest that are held there. Then theres Urban music fest also

Old 02-16-2010, 11:58 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
You say Las Vegas is on par with NY, then say Miami is not since it is mostly a tourist destination and college town? I ask you...what business people, young professionals frequent Las Vegas night spots? Last time I checked Las Vegas wouldn't even exist without tourism. Miami is a major financial center.

The reason I stated that is because Real Estate moguls actually do conduct a lot of business in Las Vegas and consequently they often party in LV alongside celebrities and tourists...and while I realize Las Vegas is a tourist destination, it is a tourist destination that is completely centered upon partying.. whereas, although Miami's nightlife is well known, its main attraction has always been its beaches. NY is just a reference point because it is so large that it can offer a whole lot of everything..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City