Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 01:21 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They supported their son's choice. In doing so, they gave up their dreams for their son. And they did so to help protect this nation.
Would those parents who did NOT support their child's decision to join the military not be considered as having sacrificed if their child is a casualty of war?

Old 08-01-2016, 01:22 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I wonder why Trump's kids haven't been out there trying to clean up after his dad's latest gaff. The families of Gold Star parents are not people to mess with and anyone with any decency knows that.
They are probably as fed up with him as everyone else.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:23 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
No, but when you are running for President, do you know how many people are scrutinizing you on daily basis? When you are in the position of being a leader, especially of a country, you have to be above that. Being criticized and insulted by the media is the way it is for all presidents, including Obama, both Bushes, Clinton, Reagan and pretty much any other president. I mean didn't Chavez call Bush the devil in front of the whole UN? Imagine if Bush would have stooped to Hugo Chavez's level and started calling him the devil too and what not. It solves nothing and only causes more tension and division.

Apparently, Trump can't handle the heat in the kitchen. He is too thin skinned to be president.
I attended a public meeting with Senator Crapo (R) a few days ago. He is doing a listening/speaking tour and visiting every incorporated town in Idaho. A few days ago he visited our tiny town. I asked him at that meeting how much unity there really is among Republicans in terms of backing Trump. He gave me his talking points of course re: some not supporting Trump but he believes that at the end of the day most Rs will rally around Trump for the good of the party.

What was most interesting was the discussion about Trumps off-the-cuff remarks and Tweets. Pols in the GOP REALLY want him to stop Tweeting and begin realizing exactly what you said in the highlited (first paragraph). He's really giving the party headaches re: this.

I don't know if he can stop. But I also don't think he's thin skinned. He's spent his entire life and career in the rough and tumble world of big business. Millions and billions of dollars at stake. He had to tough, he had to smack down opponents quickly and hard, he had to be single mindedly focused on what was best for him, his family, his company and his employees.

Trump is in a different world now. His rise to become the GOP candidate is nothing short of astonishing, and really is the biggest story of this election (unless he gets elected which will become THE big story of this election). But he MUST stop doing what he's doing. He needs to send out his surrogates - his professional attack dogs and family members who can all say what he can't (and shouldn't) say now. It's not his business now. It's the country. And somebody close to him (likely the kids) needs to make him stop.

Having said all of that, I agree that criticism and insults are all part of the game. But so is a recognition that HE is being treated (and will continue to be treated) differently from the Democrat nominee. That fact won't change and he needs to recognize that and find a way to effectively work around that fact. You've come this far Donald. Don't F it up now.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:24 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The "dreams" line doesn't work either. By that standard, every parent sacrifices when their child doesn't do exactly what they dreamed they would do. At some point people become individuals with free will. And why is the military a dream crushing career choice?
Death would be the dream crusher.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:25 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,989,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I can't help but feel Mr. and Mrs. Khan were used by the dems. Hillary's campaign went out and found Muslim parents who lost their son and put them on stage to blame Donald Trump, who had nothing to do with his death. Personally, I think Trump should have remained silent and ignored what Hillary's camp did, but he wasn't. Now the Khan's are in the spotlight trying to defend their words as is Trump. All the while Hillary is smirking in the background because her deviate plan worked. The dems are patting themselves on the back in triumph, while the real victims are the Khan's who believe in her. Disgusting.
Please show where they blamed Trump for their son's death.

(Hint: You can't, because they didn't.)

Old 08-01-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
that's what happens when you join the military and fight in wars....soldiers die!!!

Why is KHAN being used at the DNC and upset with Trump is beyond me.

thousands of Americans haved died since the Iraq invasion.....why is this family more special than the other families?....why is the DNC exploiting this?.....you think if this wasn't an election year this family would have been used?
Soldiers don't join in order to die.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
I will offer my apology if you were not personally engaged in the numerous threads about how Trump's rise is due to the uneducated and how libs are all intelligent college grads.
Find ONE post from me asserting either of those two comments. I'll be waiting for your apology.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:28 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I can't help but feel Mr. and Mrs. Khan were used by the dems.
Mr. Khan was not "used." He's an articulate man, well-educated, thoughtful and has deeply held beliefs about the Constitution and American patriotism. He's too smart to be anybody's pawn. He spoke at the convention on his own accord, that much is clear.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:29 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
The Khans started it, not Trump.

And all Trump said is that he's made sacrifices, which is true.
Trump spent his own money on his campaign and on the vets.
Trump has already had one assassination attempt on his life,
and another potential attack when Thomas DiMassimo rushed
the platform to get at him. DiMassimo plead guilty and received
sentencing today. Michael Sandford faces 30 years in prison
for attempting to shoot Trump.

The Khans are political opportunists. They are the ones who should
be ashamed for abusing their son's sacrifice in this manner.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:32 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,030,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
so they are mad because Trump wants to go after extreme Islam?......shouldn't they be mad at W Bush and Hillary Clinton for the Iraq War?
What? They are not "mad because Trump wants to go after extreme Islam." Where did they say that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections