Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 06:01 AM

261 posts, read 256,448 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about our Russian and Ukrainian posters here :
can you post anonymously from these countries ?

Can you write what you really think or is it dangerous ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 07:32 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,477 times
Re: 'Russians will buy oysters from Belarus'

From all that, I'd think the write ups on this war for the history books will call this 'The Great Fish, Fruit and Vegetable War'. This is what the 'game' looks like now between East and a West. Jab after jab which leads me to say that Ukraine better watch out for the 'hook' which could knock their lights out and I don't mean the kind that depends on electricity.

Ukraine seems at this point where they are continuing and succeeding in their offensive. So far no movement at all from the other side. But as we know Mr. Putin hasn't shown his cards yet on invasion. Some history here.

Back in the mid fifties there was the Suez crisis that Europe and the West were dealing with. Russia at that time used it to invade Hungary. That country simply was a sideshow in light of Suez. Today, with the situation in Iraq and Syria due to ISIS taking center stage on diplomatic agendas the conflict in a Ukraine can arguably be the current 'sideshow' offering Russia a way in to Ukraine while the West is preoccupied. We will see.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:02 AM

2,308 posts, read 3,457,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgsgs View Post

Can you write what you really think or is it dangerous ?
And I'm curious about our American and EU posters here. They frankly consider that they are the source of the truth. Though they live far from a place of events. Their trust to their mass media shocks simply. What naive persons!
Yeah, I can write what I see and really think.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:25 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Travic. It's pretty confusing just what is going on there. The rebels have all but eliminated the cauldron in the SE. Casualties for the Ukr army were pretty bad. The Cauldron was full of troops that were supposed to close the border with Russia. They've been in the middle of a shooting gallery for weeks now and were looking at probable losses in between 3 or 4 thousand. Hard to tell by the numbers, it's so chaotic. At the end of the day though, the seps as of 8/10/2014 control the border. Again.

The Vineyard of the Saker: (The MUCH awaited) Ukraine SITREP translated by Gleb Bazov

Take a look at this.

Verkhovna Rada rises minimum age for military in reserve| Ukrinform

If you're conscripting old men into your army something is not right, that's for damn sure.

The Ukie army seems to have a habit of driving through a city, claiming victory and then leaving. Many places change hands numerous times. The seps have a highly mobile hard hitting set up on their perimeter.

Saur Mogila is in no ones hands and the Ukies paid terribly just to get the 20+ seps off of it.

I'm taking everything I read about it with a bucket of salt over the shoulder but in the big picture the pattern shows me that the seps are still holding, for now. The Ukies are not having an easy time of it and paying a steep price as they go.

Don't forget either that you need to keep one eye on the winter and before that general mud will have his say too. Ukies have about 6 weeks before it starts.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I'm curious about all those Ukrainian citizens that disappear off the streets all hours of the day and night or have the door bell ring answer it and are never seen again. Simply for having an opinion contrary to the juntas. Oleg Lyashko is one you might want to look into. He's got his own personal Gestapo.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:32 AM

2,308 posts, read 3,457,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: 'Russians will buy oysters from Belarus' ..... We will see.
Unlike Your countries, Russia is the self-sufficient State in all spheres. It is enough to remember the time when the USSR was in the conditions of so-called "Iron Curtain" and didn't need tips and handouts of the West. Yeah, wait and see.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:56 AM

3,866 posts, read 3,141,827 times
A slow escalation seems to be preferred by the Kremlin. Just as Obama is currently militarily intervening in Iraq on the basis of humanitarian reasons Putin may use the same rationale to do the same in Ukraine. The US and its allies will respond with more sanctions and the Russians will counter with sanctions of its own. Sanctions and counter sanctions will drive Europe into a recession. A weakened Euro economy means Ukraine will not be able to rely on Europe to bolster its economic situation. This cycle of deteriorating economic conditions in Europe and Ukraine means a discontented Euro populace caught in the middle of an imperialistic conflict between the USA and Russia. Russia is forced to develop its domestic economy and rely on the BRICS for international investment and trade. These chain of events and actions would seemed to be preferred by the Kremlin.

Last edited by Coseau; 08-10-2014 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 08-10-2014, 09:57 AM

It's just not going well for the Ukies. Every time they take a step forward they get hit real hard.

Отряд "Беса" атаковал колонну украинских силовиков | Ð*ИА Новости

Old 08-10-2014, 10:05 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Лютый View Post
And I'm curious about our American and EU posters here. They frankly consider that they are the source of the truth. Though they live far from a place of events. Their trust to their mass media shocks simply. What naive persons!
Yeah, I can write what I see and really think.
Not only are they far from the place, most have never been there nor speak any of the language, they are basically clueless of all events prior to the current one.

I doubt most Americans for example could even find Crimea on the map and even heard of the place until earlier this year, but now all of a a sudden they are experts on the people, culture, and history of the area.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
A slow escalation seems to be preferred by the Kremlin. Just as Obama is currently militarily intervening in Iraq on the basis of humanitarian reasons Putin may use the same rationale to do the same in Ukraine. The US and its allies will respond with more sanctions and the Russians will counter with sanctions of its own. Sanctions and counter sanctions will drive Europe into a recession. A weakened Euro economy means Ukraine will not be able to rely on Europe to bolster its economic situation. This cycle of deteriorating economic conditions in Europe and Ukraine means a discontented Euro populace caught in the middle of an imperialistic conflict between the USA and Russia. Russia is forced to developed its domestic economy and rely on the BRICS for international investment and trade. These chain of events and actions would seemed to be preferred by the Kremlin.
The difference is that the Iraqi government invited the US in to conduct airstrikes, and the Iraqi government is held as the legitimate government. Right now, even Russia does not recognize Novorossiya. Of course when the Soviets were invited in by the Afghan gov to help defend against the insurgency, the West declared it an "invasion".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe