Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 02:40 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
The point is - Rossiya is an interesting, unpredictable, artistic and inspiring, all-bight controversial country.
Estonia is not. It's just blah.
An interesting description of Russia from the POV of a neo-soviet

No wait, now I come to think of this, boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 02:41 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Лютый View Post
Well and the one nasty sheep spoils all herd. But nazism is brought to the level of the State ideology in Ukraine unlike Russia.
In case of Russia, the nasty herd spoils the sheep, considering 80%+ support Putin.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:22 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,150 times
^
Is it that high? I thought it was higher say 99.9%. For some reason the world never hears a peep on dissent in Rossiya. This is one of those mysteries of the universe.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:05 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I don't think that. I have German and French skills to improve. Though I have some respect for the Russian culture, I won't be involved in that. The Russians destroyed half of my family and the whole country has brought nothing but misery here, except for two Czars who were "Enlightened despots", or whatever the correct term is. I'm slightly fascinated by some Russian people, but that's it. The entity that is called the "Russian government", I will hate until my last day.
I have respect for Russian culture ( and people, although not all of them, obviously,) that they manage to prevail IN SPITE of all the oppressive governments they've had for ages.
Russia is the ultimate place for testing of human spirit.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
And just to note that Russian author was none other than Solzhenitsyn. Sorry I was reading about a guy named Denisovich!
And speaking about Solzhenitsyn, you Travric, probably don't realize that Solzhenitsin was not only anti-Soviet writer, but a Russian nationalist big time as well ( or may be Slavofile would be even more precise - I don't know, but somewhere in that general direction.)
Here he is, returning to Russia after 20 years in exile in the US, leaving behind "the liquid manure of capitalism" which he apparently disliked after all.
His wife is talking here about Solzhenitsyn's views on Ukraine, because in the light of today's situation many consider his words to be prophetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZy0QlXSaqI

I'll quote him from some other sources;

From the letter to Russian-Ukrainian relations Confederation in Toronto Harvard Ukrainian research institution, April 1981;

"It's particularly painful for me ( to hear) such hateful intolerance during the discussion of the Russian-Ukrainian question ( destructive for both nations and beneficial only for their enemies,) since I am personally of mixed Russian-Ukrainian origin and I grew up with joint influence of both cultures and never saw and don't see any antagonism between them.
I was writing and publicly giving speeches about Ukraine and her people, about the tragedy of Ukrainian Holodomor. I have a lot of old friends in Ukraine, I always knew the suffering of Russians and suffering of Ukrainians as of the same origin under the Communism. In my heart there is no place for Russian-Ukrainian conflict and if God forbids if we'd come to the edge, neither would I, nor would I ever let my sons to take part in Russian-Ukrainian fight, no matter how much some hot heads would try to pull us in."

"What the writer could foresee half of century ago is amazing in the light of today's events. In "Archipelago" he wrote; "As far as Ukraine goes - it's going to be extremely painful." Back in Soviet days he was not excluding the separation of Ukraine, but "may be each region would need its own plebiscite," (he wrote,) taking in consideration Lenin's carving of regions that never belonged to what has been known as historically Ukrainian lands... And quarter century ago Solzenitzin was wondering why, while demolishing Lenin's monuments in Western Ukraine, "Ukrainian nationalists were so rigorously defensive of the sacred borders gifted by dear friend Lenin."

Êàê ñáûâàþòñÿ ïðîðî÷åñòâà ïî óêðàèíñêîìó âîïðîñó àâòîðà "Êðàñíîãî êîëåñà" — Ãîññèéñêàÿ ãàçåòà

Last edited by erasure; 08-11-2014 at 11:08 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 11:07 PM

750 posts, read 907,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
You can ask people Slavyansk, Donetsk and Luhansk who are fired at them and killed.
Already asked, and the answer is known - say 'thanks' for the liberation by Ukrainian soldiers.

News:
Today 42 prisoners escaped from the DNR into the Ukrainian prison.
News

Old 08-11-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadym View Post
Already asked, and the answer is known - say 'thanks' for the liberation by Ukrainian soldiers.

News:
Today 42 prisoners escaped from the DNR into the Ukrainian prison.
News
Do you have problems with reading comprehension or what?

"По состоянию на 17 часов в Донецкую исправительную колонию (№124) вернулись 42 заключенных, бежавшие после обстрела."

That's from your so-called "Ukrainian Truth" newspaper.

Òþðåìùèêè ðàññêàçàëè, ÷òî 42 îñóæäåííûõ ñáåæàëè èç ''ÄÃÃ'' â òþðüìó | Óêðàèíñêàÿ ïðàâäà

It says that 42 people returned to Donetsk penitentiary # 124. ( Isn't Donetsk = DNR?)
All together there were about 100 people that escaped from this penitentiary after it has been bombed, one inmate has been killed and few other wounded.
Now they keep on returning ( already more than 42 returned there) and they are appealing to rebels to accept them in their army. ( Note from what I hear from people who know, the inmates in this particular penitentiary were not placed there for serious crimes.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNnWULalHf8

They are saying that they don't want to die in prison under shelling without any purpose, so they'd rather go and fight for Donbass with the rebels. ( "We all have families here, so we either will die here under the bombs, or we can do something, and join you in the fight. The drug users won't go anywhere, why would they, we are talking about the rest of us, so please take us in consideration." )
And according to your Ukrainian so-called "news," it were the rebels who bombed them.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
^
Is it that high? I thought it was higher say 99.9%. For some reason the world never hears a peep on dissent in Rossiya. This is one of those mysteries of the universe.
What "peep" Travric, apparently you have very selective hearing, lol.
This was big pro-Maidan rally in Moscow not further back than on the 15th of March))))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRKfgtKn_60

( In case you wonder - they chant "enough of lying and stealing" and the banners they carry say "for Ukraine and Russia without Putin.")

Old 08-12-2014, 06:29 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,150 times
Re: Solzhenitsyn as Russian nationalist

Yes, absolutely. I really always knew that and I respect him. But he also was a man who wasn't afraid to criticize as well. He did pay for his stance obviously because criticism of his country put him outside the bounds of his society regarding what was expected. And no doubt His living here in the US in Vermont probably didn't go over well with some 'herd-liners'.

But I will say my understanding and stature of Solzhenitsyn shot up when I obtained a dvd of him with Alexander Sokurov, the great film director who did 'Russian Ark' titled' Dialogues with Solzhenitsyn'.

The piece shows a conversation between the two and it presents a very personal and very informative portrait of the Nobel Prize winner. Watching it was like having him speaking in my living room. Highly recommended.

And regarding the 'peep'. Can anybody who lives in Rossiya name individuals within Mr. Putin's circle who disagrees with him and and makes it known publicly? Kind of like a pink bear no??

Old 08-12-2014, 07:59 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I have respect for Russian culture ( and people, although not all of them, obviously,) that they manage to prevail IN SPITE of all the oppressive governments they've had for ages.
Russia is the ultimate place for testing of human spirit.
Do they really?

And how does it show?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe