Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 11:24 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,150 times

Advertisements

Re: "P.S. I did mention here before that I was on the Capitol Hill as well in the nineties, when it was all taking place, so..."

There it is! Now I know who drew the picture of Gorby playing the fiddle while Russia 'burned' on a Capitol wall in those heady days of turmoil..;-)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 07:55 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgsgs View Post
Russia could not have disappeared after a lost WW2. There would probably have been established a
German-friendly government for some time, the military equipment seized, Jews killed.
What?! What "German-friendly government?"
Have you ever heard of the Generalplan Ost?
I believe not, so better be acquanted with Hitler's plans for Russia; here it goes....

Generalplan Ost - General Plan East

Generalplan Ost - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
But somehow Russia is too big to be ruled and controlled from Germany in the long run.
So there would have been some sort of Russian government(s).
Probably no communism, no Warsaw pact. But would it have been bad for Russia
in the long run ? That's hard to say.These people didn't see the future with
facturies,cars,oil,airplanes computers, antibiotics, increasing life-expectancy -
else the whole war, the struggle for power would have been recognized as meaningless.
And other than in wars before It was not power that made life better but science.
OMG. You must be ( again) a person from younger generation, since you have a very vague idea about the whole subject.
You need to look closer into Hitler's racial theories in order to understand why there were 20 + million dead (military and civilians alike) during the WWII in Russia ( or then USSR.)
As amazing as it sounds, SOME Russians are saying the same thing as you do; that if it were not for Communists, Russian population would have been drinking Bavarian beer by now, and eating German sausages, instead of going through "horrible Soviet times," however I never claimed that there were no insane people among Russians)))

Old 05-07-2015, 08:21 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
News of this warning from the generals of the former DDR has been all over the European press. Here is the actual document.

A warning from the generals of the former GDR: "Haven’t the recent US/NATO wars brought enough grief ?" - Fort Russ

Old 05-07-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Hitler's racism - we had it even worse with religious fanatism before.In Germany the worst war was 1618-1648, catholics vs. lutherians,
and most of the Prussian militaristic thinking in later centuries was a consequence
of that bad war which killed 30% of people.
Then Christians against Muslims in the middle ages, also sort of racism.
"Religious fanatism" is one thing, but *scientifically based* and established extermination of certain groups solely on the ground of their ethnicity is another.
See, in "religious fanaticism" one group is trying to exterminate/punish the other on a basis of BELIEFS. But BELIEFS can be changed (with conflicts being resolved,) the bloodlines however can not be changed, thus source of conflict can't be resolved.

Quote:
Why Hitler hated Jews - I may have read it but forgot.
Because of their cosmopolitanism, that was weakening German "super-race."
Read about the reasons why Hitler targeted Jews - you'll find it quite interesting, since it explains in many ways his theories.

Quote:
Hitler also hated Bolshewiks,Marxism and he may have planned war against Russia
(but not England) from the beginning, I read.
He did, but that was more of an excuse, a pretext to attack Russia.

Quote:
Anyway, he was a soldier from WW1, artist, not a politician or lawyer
nor military academy or such.
He had the ability to speak to the masses. I had read an analysis that
similar things could have happened in other countries.
Yes and no. I don't believe that "similar things could have happened in other countries." Not the way in happened in Germany. Every nation has its own national character, so it happened to be a "perfect storm" for Germans.

Quote:
He was not just genetically evil or such.
Although I DO believe in existence of "genetically evil" people, it usually implies this kind for me - Andrei Chikatilo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jeffrey Dahmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

God knows what drives them in their actions, but Hitler however was a totally different thing, particularly if you look into the source of his racial theories.

Arthur de Gobineau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See? There is the whole "school" of these teachings somewhere out there...

Last edited by erasure; 05-07-2015 at 09:32 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: "P.S. I did mention here before that I was on the Capitol Hill as well in the nineties, when it was all taking place, so..."

There it is! Now I know who drew the picture of Gorby playing the fiddle while Russia 'burned' on a Capitol wall in those heady days of turmoil..;-)...
Nope, not me.
By the time I've made it there, Gorby was already out of the office, playing the fiddle elsewhere))))

Old 05-07-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
erasure,
I read the 4 pages of your The Harvard Boys Do Russia link, but nothing in it suggested
planned mismanagement so to harm Russia, as you did put it.
Just (maybe) incompetence, conflict of interests, bad control, wrong strategy.
No, in this article it doesn't. The whole thing comes across as "poor management" and corruption, and desire to expose "American taxpayer" to this fact.
But as I've said - it's just a tip of the iceberg. This article clearly indicates that things are going terribly wrong, and initially they look like a "mistake" on a surface.
It takes a bit more digging and more of cross-references in order to understand that this whole ordeal was not just an "unfortunate mistake," but indeed a planned action.

"From 1998 to 2008, he headed the state-owned electrical power monopoly RAO UES. A 2004 survey conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers and the Financial Times named him the world's 54th most respected business leader.[2] Currently, he is the head of the Russian Nanotechnology Corporation (RUSNANO).[3] He has been a member of the Advisory Council for JPMorgan Chase since September 2008 and a member of global board of advisers at the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) since October 2012.[4]"

Wow. I'm glad I looked. This fact is absent in Russian version of Wikipedia all together ( Maxim Frolov - can you check on it - may be I'm missing it somehow?)

Then this would explain why Putin is holding on to Chubais for so long; he is American " big money" man in Russian government. Earlier I was guessing that it was promise that Putin gave to Yeltsin to protect those who organized/participated in the crime of so-called "privatization" in Russia in the nineties, ( and Chubais indeed was one at the helm of it all,) but I see now that there is more to the story than meets the eye.
(Just google "most hated man in Russia Chubais" and see what you'll find. He was sharing this title with Gaidar ( darling of IMF) before I guess, but Gaidar kicked the bucket already.)
And there is more of interesting information on Chubais in Russian Wikipedia, that is absent in English version of course, so I'll get back to this one.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:45 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Man............ this thread sure has gone to hell. Mods should close it.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Well I'm sorry but this current conflict in Ukraine definitely has a pre-history, it has roots, and it's going to be addressed repeatedly anyway...

Old 05-08-2015, 01:17 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Wow. I'm glad I looked. This fact is absent in Russian version of Wikipedia all together ( Maxim Frolov - can you check on it - may be I'm missing it somehow?)
You missed. Information available (though I do not know when it has been added).

http://hostingkartinok.com/show-imag...b660eda9db8db6

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
(Just google "most hated man in Russia Chubais" and see what you'll find. He was sharing this title with Gaidar ( darling of IMF) before I guess, but Gaidar kicked the bucket already.)
By the way, well as Nemtsov. He also worked in government at the time. Most Russians are not much mourned for his murder.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:37 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
The future of Ukraine depends not only on Ukraine. This is a complicated tangle of past and present. If we do not know the causes of the conflict, we will not be able to correctly assess the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe