Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 07:04 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times

Advertisements

Is there a difference between flare and boot-cut? Wondering if some are just trying to use the current buzzwords or there is really a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 07:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Is there a difference between flare and boot-cut? Wondering if some are just trying to use the current buzzwords or there is really a difference.
I believe "flares" are wider - more akin to "bell bottoms" but not as drastic.... Boot cut are more straight leg jeans that widen a bit at the bottom ostensibly to fit over a boot....

Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,713 times
Most people where I live wear bootcut jeans still. Skinny jeans are worn by a few hipsters, but look atrocious on most people. Hence everyone stays with bootcut. I seriously don't know why anyone would care about this topic...

Old 03-21-2011, 09:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
The boot cut IS a degree of flare.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:57 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,644,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
I'm sorry but it is the truth! I'm starting to get really annoyed by people constantly wearing these hideous things. They make your thighs look terrible; hugs you in all the wrong places. Blah! I have no issues with straight leg jeans or skinnies, I don't even mind pants that completely flare out. But please, please, stay away from boot cut jeans. I don't know why stores constantly market them to Americans. If you go to Europe you won't see them any where and would not be caught dead in them. It is not 1995 anymore! They are so unflattering on both men and women and are never stylish. Does anyone else agree? I know a lot of you seem to just be ga-ga over them and I'm not interested in you unless you have a valid argument how they make you look good. It is like people want their bodies to look like triangles. You might as well put on a skin tight shirt and put your hair up in one thin long point to accentuate that look.
I have some, but even my Dickie carpenter pants are cut wider around the ankle and cuff. You don't want a dorky peg-leg when you wear work boots! You always know the desk jockey who is trying to look tough and cool on the weekend at Lowe's. Pants all bunched up and tight, it looks like crap! LOL

Old 03-22-2011, 01:00 AM

2,027 posts, read 3,346,284 times
I still wear them. I also wear other cuts.

Why does anyone care what someone else wears?

Worry about more important things... it's not worth it.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,979 times
boot cut and skinny jeans are all I wear....but I consider boot cut pretty similar to straight leg so maybe I am getting them confused....regardless just wear what flatters your BODY, thats all that really matters!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:21 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Women really should just wear what looks good on them. The wife has boot cut and regular Bebe jeans (I dont know the difference between all the different types of jeans women wear, but I do know what bootcut jeans are) but she wears what looks good on her. One of her friends (who is a cute gal btw) came over and tried on a pair of my wife' sexy jeans and she looked horrible. Probably because she lacked the butt and shape for it, but I was surprised because when my wife wears those things it accentuates her curves and flatters her body. Her friend, uh, not so much.

Just wear what looks good on you.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:25 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Well, for starters:
Fashion Friday: Are Boot Cut Jeans the New Mom Jean?

People may wear boot cut jeans but that doesn't make them "in style".

Flare jeans are back in style, boot cuts are from the late 90s and haven't been in style for years.
FIT 'n FAB YOU: 2011 Jeans Trend Alert

versus boot cut:
Are YOU Looking for BOOT CUT JEANS? Here's STRETCH BOOT CUT JEANS information for you! | Jeans Guide and Information for You! (http://demjeans.com/boot-cut-jeans - broken link)

http://demjeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/boot-cut-jeans.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,159,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
I miss LaRedoute...

I never liked Bootcut myself - hated 'em in the 80's, used to peg anything that wasn't already a pencil.

When they 'came back' I cringed...not that the style ever went away, but that the trend re-emerged...

This time, however, I have seen a few cuts that are flattering. And for boots...yeah.
I haven't crossed over, but I have friends who look good in said denim. Thin friends = key.

I prefer the lean, straight cut that isn't second-skin sausage but still...very skinny.
Same here 33458. Having grown up in the 70's and 80's, I can not STAND anything that flares, bells, or otherwise flaps. I also pegged everything that didn't taper. I can't believe that there is any of that gold-yellow thread left that so many jeans brand use, because I have uses up miles of the stuff over the years pegging and re-hemming my jeans. I still prefer tapered cut pants, but am totally at peace with straight legged pants...but I am older now, no longer 14, and no longer overly obsessed with trends and fashion. I like style. Style never goes out of fashion.

OT, but I also don't like the super skinny jeans, even on thin people; they look utterly ridiculous. They look like bloody heavy denim leggings. Simply too skinny. Unless you are a supermodel with legs like a gazelle, you have no business wearing them. They make you look like you've been sawed off at the knees.

While I'm OT and speaking of skinny jeans--what the he!! is the go with GUYS wearing them? This is very un-PC of me, I know, and I'm totally stereotyping, but....every time I see a guy wearing skinny jeans that he was apparently poured into, I immediately assume he's gay, no matter how otherwise masculine he might look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty