Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2008, 06:59 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
On another blog that I go to a person in france was extolling the virtues of a french provencal dish known as "Daube"; it sounds like a perfect comfort food....so I am thinking of trying it the next time I am thinking comfort, warmth and fresh produce. Have any of you made it? Here is a recipe I found on line......altho my original source said, don't believe them about red wine....in france it is ALWAYS white for this dish. Beef Daube Provençal Recipe - Pasta - MyRecipes.com
Looks delightful, but that's A LOT of garlic, oui?

Old 10-18-2008, 07:16 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Looks delightful, but that's A LOT of garlic, oui?
Mais oui! I checked out a couple of other on line recipes and they called for less (2 cloves in one and 2 Tablespoons chopped garlic in another)...They all call for redwine but my source says don't believe them the French use white....so I guess you can use what you have.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:14 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Mais oui! I checked out a couple of other on line recipes and they called for less (2 cloves in one and 2 Tablespoons chopped garlic in another)...They all call for redwine but my source says don't believe them the French use white....so I guess you can use what you have.
I've seen it made with both red, and white wine...even the French themselves don't always agree on whether it should be made with red or white wine!

This link to a French recipe site has recipes for "Beouf en daube" using both red, and white wine...so I'd use whatever you prefer.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:24 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Why have I never heard of Daube?????? it sounds wonderful.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:28 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Elston, it is very good...I have never made it myself, however when I lived in France I had it many times and now that you have brought it up I'm going to have to make it myself.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:34 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
Quote:
Sometimes it is hard to limit yourself to one meal I have a piece of roast pork that is destined to become a shepherds pie, but I also have a defrosted piece of salmon and of haddock that need to be cooked today....
Hey Elston, how about making two pies - one Shepherd's, and one Fish?!!!

This recipe is fantastic - as Jamie titles it - I have made it many times and it is delicious!!!
Fantastic Fish Pie Recipe : Jamie Oliver : Food Network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/fantastic-fish-pie-recipe/index.html - broken link)

this one is good too - has a very rich tasty topping with capers and cheese...
Luxury Fish Pie with Rosti Caper Topping from Delia Online

Old 10-18-2008, 08:36 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
CheyDee and I bet it was great. You are so thoughtful.

I'm thinking of giving future D-I-L 3 choices for rehearsal dinner:
1. Burger King
2. McDonald's
3. Wendy's
only kidding!!!

Of course!

We know you meant to include White Castle

Old 10-18-2008, 08:48 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
Morning all, dinner will be a bit early today as son has his football game. Tuna casserole this afternoon and probably sandwiches after we get home from the game. Hope everyone has a great day. Everyone keep fingers crossed for son, they have only won one game this season and it would be nice if they could get a win today.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:59 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Sending positive thoughts for your son's team winning todays game! Fingers crossed too!
Have taken an idea from lacey today except instead of red stuffed peppers we will have green stuffed peppers. It's time I take a couple of the ones I froze last month and give them a try! I found some beautiful green bell peppers a couple of days ago at our local veggie stand for $1.00 a pound. Was able to get several for $3.00---not bad. Too bad I didn't really stock up on them when they were 5 for a dollar! They are so expensive in the grocery stores here right now. Everything is so expensive!! Always looking for good deals.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:17 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
Hmmm.......I used fresh peaches for the "creeping cobbler" and it turned out great! (although next time I would probably adjust for high altitude so it get a little fluffier)....sorry for those of you that didn't have success with it!!

Anyway, my girls did a great job dancing at the Homecoming game yesterday, so that was a relief! Had a hot dog and Doritos at the game..........boo.

Tonight I am going to make some baked cheese ravioli with vodka sauce, and eat up the last of our cucumbers and tomatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink