Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2023, 08:51 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,208,930 times

Advertisements

Back when it was hard to find 9mm ammo I was paying $16+ a box of 50. Atwoods has SAR brand 9mm on sale for $12.99 a box. I don't really need any, but I may get a box or two anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 05:33 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
just to "bump" it up....

if you find a deal you can afford,
you cannot afford not to stock up.

Old 02-17-2023, 01:14 AM

8,927 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Back when it was hard to find 9mm ammo I was paying $16+ a box of 50. Atwoods has SAR brand 9mm on sale for $12.99 a box. I don't really need any, but I may get a box or two anyway.
I take it, by that, you have all of the ammo you intend to
shoot ... enough to last three years?

Ironically, I was in a fairly good position, ammo wise, when I last moved. Then life got so busy I haven't been to the range in three years. So, without buying a single round, I would still have enough for three years.

(Of course, I ran across a couple of boxes of specialty ammo that I couldn't pass up, so now I have that, too.)

Old 02-17-2023, 06:42 AM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times
I would buy some extra tinfoil hats when searching for ammo. Govt is reading your brainwaves in the gun stores with secret devices mounted in the ceilings......... The buyers are hoarding the ammo, its not a shortage as much as overbuying.

The shortage is like what happened with toilet paper in Covid. Media hype throws people into hoarding mode and basically created the shortage! Manufacturers are enjoying the higher prices so they aren't throwing the factory into mass production mode and are simply producing what they can in regular hours (8 hours a day). Toilet paper will get used eventually, ammo not so much!

TRex2 above just proved my theory: Hasn't shot a single bullet at the range in 3 years so has a decent stockpile but saw some ammo he wanted and bought a few more boxes this week!

Old 02-17-2023, 06:49 AM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
just to "bump" it up....

if you find a deal you can afford,
you cannot afford not to stock up.
Why? At some point, you will die with thousands of rounds of un-used ammo.

As a kid I helped my dad clear out an old guys stuff after he died. Widow wanted more space, not all the guns/ammo ready to eat meals (they were old, completely unedible as we had to try one). The guns were already gone to a relative but the ammo was too heavy to be shipped. We probably loaded 10-15 ammo boxes and gave them to a friend. This guy was loading up after the Cuban Missile Crisis (60's) and we were throwing everything out in the mid 80's.

At some point you have to let the paranoia settle, "be ready" but nobody needs a 53 foot trailer buried in the backyard full of ammo.

Old 02-17-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I would buy some extra tinfoil hats when searching for ammo. Govt is reading your brainwaves in the gun stores with secret devices mounted in the ceilings......... The buyers are hoarding the ammo, its not a shortage as much as overbuying.
I think someone has been smoking something stronger than weed.

Quote:
The shortage is like what happened with toilet paper in Covid. Media hype throws people into hoarding mode and basically created the shortage! Manufacturers are enjoying the higher prices so they aren't throwing the factory into mass production mode and are simply producing what they can in regular hours (8 hours a day). Toilet paper will get used eventually, ammo not so much!
Pretty clueless. In the years before I moved, I went through about 600 rounds a year. (enough to fill a couple shoe boxes, loose or four of them, in commercial packaging.) In the future, I will return to a similar usage. All I did was skip over this particular shortage. If everyone kept a three years supply on hand, the demand would even out and we wouldn't go through the boom and bust cycles. (Same applies to TP, but I generally recommend about 6months supply, since it takes up more room.)

Quote:
TRex2 above just proved my theory: Hasn't shot a single bullet at the range in 3 years so has a decent stockpile but saw some ammo he wanted and bought a few more boxes this week!
First, it wasn't just any ammo, but something special. And I didn't say "this week." It was last year.

Quote:
Why? At some point, you will die with thousands of rounds of un-used ammo.

As a kid I helped my dad clear out an old guys stuff after he died. Widow wanted more space, not all the guns/ammo ready to eat meals (they were old, completely unedible as we had to try one). The guns were already gone to a relative but the ammo was too heavy to be shipped. We probably loaded 10-15 ammo boxes and gave them to a friend. This guy was loading up after the Cuban Missile Crisis (60's) and we were throwing everything out in the mid 80's.
I really hope there was about 20 pounds of silver in the bottom of some of those ammo boxes
Kids today. No understanding.
Good for your "friend." You probably gave him a couple thousand dollars worth of ammo. (in today's money)

Quote:
At some point you have to let the paranoia settle, "be ready" but nobody needs a 53 foot trailer buried in the backyard full of ammo.
Not sure I would want to tell that line to President Z.

Because of my previous profession, I have already been in two wars, so I know what a real ammo cache looks like. But that isn't what I am talking about. If you go through 150 rounds a year, a three years supply will fit in a couple shoe boxes, and it will help you ride out the next boom and bust cycle.

Old 02-17-2023, 09:38 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:

The second paragraph/statement in your post holds some validity, but is it necessary to insert the rest? In my opinion you served to erode your point by doing that.

'Hoarding' is just a piece of it. The beginning of the pandemic saw one of the biggest surges of new firearm ownership in history. With that came a surge in new owners buying a lot of ammo. Demand far exceeded supply, so that's the when the fuse was lit- not necessarily 'hoarding'.

A lot of us do shoot 'a lot'. I generally shoot trap, 5-stand and now getting into sporting clays. I'll routinely shoot at minimum 50 shells an outing and do that twice a week (often more). I shoot from March/April thru September so 1,000+ shotgun rounds. And then I bird hunt in the fall and winter so add 100-200 game rounds. That's not counting my rifle hobby- I'll shoot at least 100-200 rounds at the long distance steel range in the summer, a hundred or so in my .30-06 Garand for postal matches, a few hundred in my 6.5M (long range) and then maybe 20-50 in my hunting rifle for good measure.

I haven't mentioned my handguns either- so throw at least 250 there. So what's that- around 1,500 punched primers a year just for me? And in the circles I run- I'm a low volume shooter!!

Most of what I shoot is loaded by me- but components are scarce too. So yeah I do gobble up some things when I find them because I shoot a lot. I have enough powder, primers and bullets to last me for a good long while. The ammo situation affects a lot of us. I know our trap club had a tough time getting loaded rounds. The local sporting goods stores were limiting trap/sporting clay rounds to 2 boxes p/person last season.

Old 02-18-2023, 04:19 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,208,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I take it, by that, you have all of the ammo you intend to
shoot ... enough to last three years?

Ironically, I was in a fairly good position, ammo wise, when I last moved. Then life got so busy I haven't been to the range in three years. So, without buying a single round, I would still have enough for three years.

(Of course, I ran across a couple of boxes of specialty ammo that I couldn't pass up, so now I have that, too.)
I bought ammo over the last year or so figuring I would need it when I started going to a local range. But I have not gone yet. This range also has concealed carry classes. I need to go to the range badly before I am comfortable concealed carrying. It is close enough that on certain days my dog refuses to go outside due to hearing the guns at the range. It is two miles away as a crow flies.

Old 02-18-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I bought ammo over the last year or so figuring I would need it when I started going to a local range. But I have not gone yet. This range also has concealed carry classes. I need to go to the range badly before I am comfortable concealed carrying. It is close enough that on certain days my dog refuses to go outside due to hearing the guns at the range. It is two miles away as a crow flies.
I have somewhat of the opposite problem. The range here is over half an hour away, and with the pandemic (you know what I have been doing, for that) I haven't had the time or energy to go become a member.

I really miss Hicksville Range, in Texas. The guy knew me, and would let me sign in and do whatever I needed to do.

Old 02-18-2023, 10:19 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
I’m pretty fortunate. I live about 2 miles as the crow flies to USFS and BLM ground. I can go and set up targets and literally shoot any distance I want. I don’t shoot when fire conditions are high though.

There is a formal range about 1/2 hour from me- covered benches, pistol range, this year they’re adding a 500 yard lane. It’s unsupervised but generally everyone follows posted rules. Then another unsupervised range about 45minutes away with steel targets set up at varying distances including a mile.

The trap club is 15 minutes away from me as well.

There are so many opportunities right around me. I feel very fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting