Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2023, 09:54 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Depends on the pull down. A lot of it very slow burning powder for large munitions that won’t really work well for smaller calibers, unless they are extremely overbore.
My powder even has the labels on it for recipe from .223 to .308. Mid range, not hot. Thunderbird powder out of Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 10:01 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Seems dependent on location. 22LR has been available here, for over a year.

“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”
― Rudyard Kipling

Thanks to City Guy997S, I now realized I have been under estimating how much ammo we need to keep on hand. Five years, instead of three

I never took up reloading, because I am prone to make mistakes. If some of my electronics won't work, I tear it down and rebuild it. If I make a mistake on ammo, someone could be injured.

Somethings like ammo and canning, I leave to guys like you: ones who get it right, every time.
Thanks for that but no one is perfect.

There are some things I'll slop through but reloading isn't one. I've had 3 guns malfunction with a misfire in my lifetime. One was my fault for being an idiot in a hurry and not checking what my friend had for ammo, one was a friend's reloads and another was from a semi auto firing out of battery because the bolt wasn't proper for the weapon. I bought it used. I now know the warning signs.

I sort my brass by weight and head stamp. I reload to the grain. Way time consuming but it only takes one mistake. I trust mine more than factory reloads I know that.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:05 AM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Depends on the pull down. A lot of it very slow burning powder for large munitions that won’t really work well for smaller calibers, unless they are extremely overbore.
I’ve got 16+ pounds of WC 844, a pull-down powder that approximates H335. And another 9 pounds or so of Data Powder 2200, another one with a similar burn rate. Both of these ran me in the neighborhood of $6/pound.

You’re right that it is more common to see pull-down from .50 BMG and the like, that isn’t really suitable for most of our applications, but frequenting the surplus sites, you will sometimes run across the good stuff.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:24 AM

19,781 posts, read 22,680,815 times
A friend of mine gave me 16lbs of WC868, which says on the label it approximates H1000 which is what I use for my 7mm mag. I couldn’t come close to my target velocity.

It’d work in a pinch, but too slow. I sold one jug to a guy that shoots a .300 win mag or something.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My powder even has the labels on it for recipe from .223 to .308. Mid range, not hot. Thunderbird powder out of Arizona.
I’ve checked some of those sites from time to time but not in earnest. I’ve had pretty good luck finding what I need, or something I can work with. But man are powder prices thru the roof!!

Old 02-20-2023, 10:46 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
I’ve checked some of those sites from time to time but not in earnest. I’ve had pretty good luck finding what I need, or something I can work with. But man are powder prices thru the roof!!
Powder, like ammo, will have a "new normal" in pricing.

I would expect it to be about three times what it was in 2015.
Maybe a tad more, due to the conflict in Ukraine.

Old 02-20-2023, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Powder, like ammo, will have a "new normal" in pricing.

I would expect it to be about three times what it was in 2015.
Maybe a tad more, due to the conflict in Ukraine.
About 2 years ago a guy here in Montana was selling a new 8lb jug of H1000 on a local guns and hunting classified. $400. I bucked up and bought it. He tried to back out if it because someone offered him more $. He had just moved here from MN and I gave him hell for backing out of the agreement. Basically told him everybody I know and everywhere I can I’ll let it be known you’re not a man of your word. He back peddled and I got it.

At the time $400 was insane, IMO. Now? If it was in stock at MidSouth Shooters supply it’s $350 not including shipping and hazmat fees!

Old 02-20-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
8lb jug of H1000
How much would it have been, in 2015?
(I figure that was the cheapest time between Sandy Hook and Trump announcing he was running for office.)

Old 02-20-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
How much would it have been, in 2015?
(I figure that was the cheapest time between Sandy Hook and Trump announcing he was running for office.)
Between $220-$250-ish. However it was really tough to find even then.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
At the time $400 was insane, IMO. Now? If it was in stock at MidSouth Shooters supply it’s $350 not including shipping and hazmat fees!
Quote:
Between $220-$250-ish. However it was really tough to find even then.
I would say, in these times, if you can find it for less that $500, it would be a good time to buy. For $500 to $700, it would be something to think about.

I don't know when things will get better, or when things will get worse, but my bets are that this is about as good as it gets, for the foreseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting