Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2023, 12:04 PM

8,927 posts, read 4,632,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
My local sporting goods store has been sold out of .243 Winchester 100 Grain for at least the past 3 to 4 years. This is the worst .243 ammo shortage I have ever seen.Still cant find .243 locally.
I found some, here in N Central AR (too far for you to commute, I think), so there is hope that some will come your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
As long as no one sets off another round of hording frenzy with another ammo conspiracy it should be fine.
As the shortages ease, it is time to, once again, begin to stock up.

I have, for many years, advocated getting enough during easy times, to last for three years.

Then, if times get hard, you can out last the rest, to some degree.

Because of the duration of this drought, I am now advocating a five year stockpile.

(That doesn't mean buy it all at once, but as time goes by, stock up until all of the ammo you plan to shoot in the next five years is already in your reserve. My rule of thumb is to never buy more than half of what is on the shelf.)

I realize that could mean, for some of the competition shooters, acquiring an extra ammo bunker...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 10:35 PM

712 posts, read 393,820 times
I bought a 20 round box of 100 Grain .243 Winchester Power Points at my local store for about 30 dollars this week.

Old 06-26-2023, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
I bought a 20 round box of 100 Grain .243 Winchester Power Points at my local store for about 30 dollars this week.
Well, normally, I would say you have established a price point, at $1.50 per round.

Of course, today, there is nothing normal. How much did you pay for the same ammo, in 2015?

My normal advice is to follow up with watching for a box of 20 for $29.50 or less, for the next month, then raise that to $30 again. (But, like I just said, nothing is normal, right now.)

Old 07-01-2023, 10:05 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Big5 is having some "4th of July" sales, now.

Old 07-01-2023, 01:23 PM

I am starting to see a few specialty 22 rounds (subsonics and shorts) on the market, but I just did a check of 410 ammo and the only thing I could find was tungsten and similar, at $8 or more per round.

Very limited 44 mag (someone asked about that, a few months ago).

Old 07-01-2023, 02:22 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Well, normally, I would say you have established a price point, at $1.50 per round.

Of course, today, there is nothing normal. How much did you pay for the same ammo, in 2015?

My normal advice is to follow up with watching for a box of 20 for $29.50 or less, for the next month, then raise that to $30 again. (But, like I just said, nothing is normal, right now.)
Why can you not just say, AWESOME, you got some .243 (because nothing is normal)?

Old 07-01-2023, 04:10 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
I found some, here in N Central AR (too far for you to commute, I think), so there is hope that some will come your way.

As the shortages ease, it is time to, once again, begin to stock up.

I have, for many years, advocated getting enough during easy times, to last for three years.

Then, if times get hard, you can out last the rest, to some degree.

Because of the duration of this drought, I am now advocating a five year stockpile.

(That doesn't mean buy it all at once, but as time goes by, stock up until all of the ammo you plan to shoot in the next five years is already in your reserve. My rule of thumb is to never buy more than half of what is on the shelf.)

I realize that could mean, for some of the competition shooters, acquiring an extra ammo bunker...
I was a serious competition shooter and got even more serious when my son started shooting. It didn't take him but one season to be shooting in Master/Grand Master class alongside me. The crew used to love it when he and I drew strings against each other. The first time he beat me boy howdy did I get a ribbing. LOL it was great. I put more resources into him and backed off being so aggressive and serious.

Now unless you really stockpiled or you have a sponsor competition is almost impossible for guys like us to get serious about. The ammo burned up in practice is quite considerable (we both did at least 3 evenings a week 300 to 400 rounds apiece and better) and if you get into the final three at the match plus do the team shoot a match could easily burn close to 400 rounds apiece. If a guy or gal buys up a class or two which most folks like to do then burning a case of ammo becomes likely.

Of course we do handload but components are hit and miss and expensive to the point of ridiculous. A match her and there is all we can afford. When my son hired on with the SO i brightened up and asked him if the SO supplies him practice ammo. They don't. He was "issued" one box of some type of HP, 9mm, and that's his allotment of department ammo for the year. That's messed up. No wonder so many cops can't shoot for squat. The SO does have a dept competition team though and when (not an if there) he gets on the team he will be given practice and match ammo.

I reckon I should look into getting a 9mm. haven't owned one in well over 30 years. Been straight up totally in 45 ACP land since the late 80s. At the point things are at handloading is a good way to supplement ones ammo stash but it's not really that much more cost effective now than just buying factory bulk. In the next couple months I'm going to buget in some case lots. 5.56 45 ACP and probably 9mm since it looks like it may be time to relent on my disfavor for that cartridge. But if I'm carrying it will always be a 45 on my hip.

I've been stocking up on 22s as supply issues and cost as well have lightened up some. So get it while the getting is good. Oh and 12 ga is also on my bulk supply list. I use #4 buck 3 inch mostly but I do have stashes of 00 plus buck n ball. The latter is 3 inch a 3/4 oz slug cozied up with I think its 4 00 pellets. It's a peach of a load. With both #4 and #2 shotIi've tipped critters (yotes and jack rabbits) right over at +75 yards. The #4 3 ich mags I have stuck with Remington and Federal on but any more I'll take it if it goes bang and the price is right.

45 12 ga 22 and 5.56 is all I really sweat being heavily stocked on. 9mm will be there soon enough. As it stands I'm just shooting enough to stay sharp. That's obligatory since I do carry. Been going out 3 to 4 times a month and doing a hundred rounds of whatever I'm practicing with. Been doing a lot of work with my new 22 auto pistol and it's impressed me enough I don't think twice about strapping it on when I go to the city. Two sixteen round mags stoked up with Stingers or other good quality 22 ammo in a weapon I know for certain I can place most of the rounds plumb center with in a speed drill doesn't make me feel undergunned. And I can do that at 50 yards. 7 to 10 is where the most of defensive shootings take place.

That's like being plumb in front of the target. And using the rimfire for practice is way more cost effective. the controls on the pistol are identical to a 1911 so it's just recoil control to remember twixt my 1911 and the 22. On that note I believe I will take them both to the range this afternoon. I'm feeling an itch.

Old 07-01-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Why can you not just say, AWESOME, you got some .243 (because nothing is normal)?
Well, first, I am not newmexicocowboy, so I didn't get any .243, and secondly, if I were him, I wouldn't call 20 rounds awesome, I would just barely call it a start. Ammo should be counted in hundreds of rounds, or thousands. (I used to work at an army gunnery range, where it was tens of thousands, but then, we had acres to store them.)

My statement of "nothing is normal" meant something like the old ymmv (your mileage may vary), or "you will have to adjust according to the way you see the world."

Old 07-01-2023, 04:39 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
Well, first, I am not newmexicocowboy, so I didn't get any .243, and secondly, if I were him, I wouldn't call 20 rounds awesome, I would just barely call it a start. Ammo should be counted in hundreds of rounds, or thousands. (I used to work at an army gunnery range, where it was tens of thousands, but then, we had acres to store them.)

My statement of "nothing is normal" meant something like the old ymmv (your mileage may vary), or "you will have to adjust according to the way you see the world."
Umm yeah. A single box of ammo is not "starting a stockpile.". I do understand with calibers like the 243 how even finding one box can be a eureka. My son is going through that with 22 250. Retail efforts have been more on getting the super common almost universal calibers in stock. 5.56 308 12 ga 9mm 45 and just bringing in token amounts of stuff like 243 22 250 even 30 06 fall in that bracket.

Its gotten to be quite the Un American situation with ammo supplies. When a guy has to budget to take the grandkids plinking that's just right there on the verge of communism.

Old 07-01-2023, 11:12 PM

712 posts, read 393,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Umm yeah. A single box of ammo is not "starting a stockpile.". I do understand with calibers like the 243 how even finding one box can be a eureka. My son is going through that with 22 250. Retail efforts have been more on getting the super common almost universal calibers in stock. 5.56 308 12 ga 9mm 45 and just bringing in token amounts of stuff like 243 22 250 even 30 06 fall in that bracket.

Its gotten to be quite the Un American situation with ammo supplies. When a guy has to budget to take the grandkids plinking that's just right there on the verge of communism.
Ya I could not find .243 Winchester in stock at the store for at least 3 to 4 years so I may buy more .243 if I get the chance.For the past deer season or two we had to borrow our hunting buddy's old .243 ammo.I think I killed at least 1 deer with his ammo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting