Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2023, 03:54 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
Ya I could not find .243 Winchester in stock at the store for at least 3 to 4 years so I may buy more .243 if I get the chance.For the past deer season or two we had to borrow our hunting buddy's old .243 ammo.I think I killed at least 1 deer with his ammo.
So, having borrowed ammo, you are still "in the hole" ammo wise.

Is there some reason you focus on 100 grain rounds in particular.
(I can think of a couple legit reasons, just wondering which reason applies.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2023, 04:54 AM

713 posts, read 394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
So, having borrowed ammo, you are still "in the hole" ammo wise.

Is there some reason you focus on 100 grain rounds in particular.
(I can think of a couple legit reasons, just wondering which reason applies.)
Well my grandfather advised my dad that 100 Grains would be a good load.My dad grew up hunting with a .244 Remington and used 75 to 80 Grain Bullets on deer I think.Also I have had lots of good success with the standard 100 Grain lead soft point.Also premium non-copper .243 ammo is prolly not very available where I live. Another thing is my ammo budget is really limited.I just remembered that I think we ordered some 85 Grain custom loaded Barnes Triple Shock .243 ammo that I never used.

One of the reasons why I went with the .243 100 Grain is because I was going to get a .25-06 but my grandfather wanted me to get a .243 Winchester.I have some Nosler Partition 100 Grain .243 that we paid a lot because it was the only thing I could get at the time.Also I dont think I really have much need to go with premium ammo for my deer hunting.I was going to purchase 95 Grain but my dad prefers the 100 Grain.But really I just buy the 100 Grain because its cheap and it works for me.I dont see any need for premium deer bullets in anything bigger than a .223 Remington where I hunt.

Last edited by NewMexicoCowboy; 07-02-2023 at 05:58 AM..

Old 07-02-2023, 08:59 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
Well my grandfather advised my dad that 100 Grains would be a good load.My dad grew up hunting with a .244 Remington and used 75 to 80 Grain Bullets on deer I think.Also I have had lots of good success with the standard 100 Grain lead soft point.Also premium non-copper .243 ammo is prolly not very available where I live. Another thing is my ammo budget is really limited.I just remembered that I think we ordered some 85 Grain custom loaded Barnes Triple Shock .243 ammo that I never used.

One of the reasons why I went with the .243 100 Grain is because I was going to get a .25-06 but my grandfather wanted me to get a .243 Winchester.I have some Nosler Partition 100 Grain .243 that we paid a lot because it was the only thing I could get at the time.Also I dont think I really have much need to go with premium ammo for my deer hunting.I was going to purchase 95 Grain but my dad prefers the 100 Grain.But really I just buy the 100 Grain because its cheap and it works for me.I dont see any need for premium deer bullets in anything bigger than a .223 Remington where I hunt.
243 is the minimum starting caliber for deer in NV. The 223/5.56 is illegal for big game. Our Muleys are big and tough. Undergunning besides being illegal (for a good reason) for big game it's downright cruel. I had a work buddy once who was fully convinced the 22 250 was the ultimate long range big game cartridge. Despite it being an illegal caliber for big game he took it out after antelope firm in his belief the light fast pill would do the job.

It didn't. He hit the hapless critter 4 times right behind the shoulder and it would not go down. Oh it dropped in the end which took a while. The frangible varmint bullets he was using (a Hornady load). As I remember it was a less common bullet weight (65 gr if memory serves) and it performed flawlessly. If he was shooting coyotes. the slugs just self destructed on the surface. When the critter went down finally it was from repeated blunt surface force. It could not penetrate to the vitals.

I never let him live that down. The animal yielded very little of what I would consider edible meat. And stew or chili would be its use. Antelope is meat that has to be harvested cleanly and cooled down ASAP. Neither happened that day. The guy was told by a lot more hunters and shooters the 22 250 is NOT a big game round. But he was almost religiously fanatical we were all wrong. He would have had better results from 62 gr 5.56 Green Tip. At least that may have penetrated enough. Too much probably. Would have been shoot throughs with the lope not even knowing it had been hit.

For something like coastal blacktail (jack rabbits with antlers) a 223 or 22 250 is probably OK. I just keep thinking about the pure torture it was to watch that kid spatter his lope over 20 acres and no matter the type of big game I'll stick to my old 06. I did grab some 06 here not too long ago that was only 20 bucks a box. Buck a round. I only grab my 06 for deer or elk. I don't do antelope so if I have 100 rounds on hand that's just fine.

My son was on 6.5 Creedmore for a while till this ammo crunch hit. He traded for a 308. Creedmore was and still is to my mind a strictly handloading gig these days. A lot like 45 Colt. I use my AR for varmints so I keep a stash of performance ammo on hand in addition to as many cases as I can afford. Getting one this month along with my other common stuff. Truthfully, I've gotten pretty serious about my archery. Way cheaper shooting.

Old 07-02-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
243 is the minimum starting caliber for deer in NV. The 223/5.56 is illegal for big game. Our Muleys are big and tough. Undergunning besides being illegal (for a good reason) for big game it's downright cruel. I had a work buddy once who was fully convinced the 22 250 was the ultimate long range big game cartridge. Despite it being an illegal caliber for big game he took it out after antelope firm in his belief the light fast pill would do the job.

It didn't. He hit the hapless critter 4 times right behind the shoulder and it would not go down. Oh it dropped in the end which took a while. The frangible varmint bullets he was using (a Hornady load). As I remember it was a less common bullet weight (65 gr if memory serves) and it performed flawlessly. If he was shooting coyotes. the slugs just self destructed on the surface. When the critter went down finally it was from repeated blunt surface force. It could not penetrate to the vitals.

I never let him live that down. The animal yielded very little of what I would consider edible meat. And stew or chili would be its use. Antelope is meat that has to be harvested cleanly and cooled down ASAP. Neither happened that day. The guy was told by a lot more hunters and shooters the 22 250 is NOT a big game round. But he was almost religiously fanatical we were all wrong. He would have had better results from 62 gr 5.56 Green Tip. At least that may have penetrated enough. Too much probably. Would have been shoot throughs with the lope not even knowing it had been hit.

For something like coastal blacktail (jack rabbits with antlers) a 223 or 22 250 is probably OK. I just keep thinking about the pure torture it was to watch that kid spatter his lope over 20 acres and no matter the type of big game I'll stick to my old 06. I did grab some 06 here not too long ago that was only 20 bucks a box. Buck a round. I only grab my 06 for deer or elk. I don't do antelope so if I have 100 rounds on hand that's just fine.

My son was on 6.5 Creedmore for a while till this ammo crunch hit. He traded for a 308. Creedmore was and still is to my mind a strictly handloading gig these days. A lot like 45 Colt. I use my AR for varmints so I keep a stash of performance ammo on hand in addition to as many cases as I can afford. Getting one this month along with my other common stuff. Truthfully, I've gotten pretty serious about my archery. Way cheaper shooting.
Oh okay well the .223 is legal for deer where I live but we have small deer here.In fact I heard its legal to hunt them with .22 Hornet in Texas but I could be mistaken.I have a friend who hog hunted with .22-250.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:33 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Whitetail deer in Central Texas tend to be on the small side, not much bigger than a Great Dane.
So .223/5.56 is plenty sufficient to harvest them.
Good for the feral hog vermin too.

The only .243 in my family (immediate & extended) is this Browning Safari with an Leopold scope inherited from a longtime friend about 15 years ago. I gave it to my eldest son who was still hunting off & on then.
It is a fine rifle.
Attached Thumbnails
Ammo shortage not expected to end any time soon-b339b23f-8532-4c4a-859a-bc5e61eab5b3.jpeg  

Old 07-03-2023, 02:31 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:

All of this is true, and honestly a .243 does not kick noticeably harder than a 22-250. But around Houston, at least in the early 80's when I lived there, the 22-250 is a quite popular deer round, for the small deer they have (not *everything* is bigger in Texas, ok?) around there. Not unusual for a guy to dress out his kill and carry it on his shoulders (you want to wrap the deer in hunter orange of some sort so some numbskull does not shoot at it...)

If you just have to use a 22-250 on deer, assuming your rifle will shoot them accurately and stabilize them, some of the heavier bullets you can get for handloading might work better than the typical 50 or 55 grain varmint oriented bullets you normally see in factory ammo for it.

The 100 grain load for the .243 has been a fine deer slayer since I was in diapers. The lighter bullets are typically thin-jacketed hollow points and more for varmints than deer.

Old 07-22-2023, 04:34 AM

I picked up a box of Federal .243 100 Grain Lead Soft Point for about 30 dollars today.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:16 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
I picked up a box of Federal .243 100 Grain Lead Soft Point for about 30 dollars today.
Excellent. Hope you keep scoring for that price or less.

Old 07-22-2023, 02:10 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:

There are A LOT of factory ammo options for 6.5CM.

Old 07-22-2023, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Excellent. Hope you keep scoring for that price or less.
Thank you TRex2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting