Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2023, 08:49 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,797,133 times

Advertisements

Yes, a box of 25 cartridges. A flat is half a case, 10 boxes, 250 cartridges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 03:03 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
Yes, a box of 25 cartridges. A flat is half a case, 10 boxes, 250 cartridges.
OK, thanks. I had never heard the term "flat" used with with ammo, only case.

The closest to that was when my family bought a "skid" of canned beans.
That got split among 8 households ... and was more than enough

Old 06-05-2023, 12:09 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
I still can't find Reloader 26. Well, that's not 620 bucks for 8 lbs. Time to switch to a different powder. I don't need any but primers have come down a bit.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:05 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
This is certainly the worst shortage of ammunition I have ever seen. Before this the primer crunch was the alpha dog. Now it's just a general lack of supply across the board from components for reloading to live rounds. My son had been looking for months to score some 22 250 so he could do some varmint shooting with his Remington VTR. He finally found one box on the shelf at Scheels. $52 and change. That's just robbery.

A carton of 22 LR (500 rounds) I paid just a tad over 40 bucks for after tax. I'm pretty much sticking to my rimfires to try and at least stay tuned up but even with that I'm always sweating whether or not I can replace what I shoot. My staple rounds i.e. 5.56 12 ga 45 ACP I'm hoarding. Not like cleaning the shelves at the shooter shack and trying to sell the stuff for 5x what I paid for it kind of hoarding. A box or two as I come across what I need to add to my supply.

Profit hoarders **** me off! I won't throw my fellow shooters under the bus thataway. Me fears this crunch may be with us for quite a spell. I just have that feeling.

Old 06-06-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
This is certainly the worst shortage of ammunition I have ever seen. Before this the primer crunch was the alpha dog. Now it's just a general lack of supply across the board from components for reloading to live rounds. My son had been looking for months to score some 22 250 so he could do some varmint shooting with his Remington VTR. He finally found one box on the shelf at Scheels. $52 and change. That's just robbery.

A carton of 22 LR (500 rounds) I paid just a tad over 40 bucks for after tax. I'm pretty much sticking to my rimfires to try and at least stay tuned up but even with that I'm always sweating whether or not I can replace what I shoot. My staple rounds i.e. 5.56 12 ga 45 ACP I'm hoarding. Not like cleaning the shelves at the shooter shack and trying to sell the stuff for 5x what I paid for it kind of hoarding. A box or two as I come across what I need to add to my supply.

Profit hoarders **** me off! I won't throw my fellow shooters under the bus thataway. Me fears this crunch may be with us for quite a spell. I just have that feeling.
I would suspect 22-250 will be over $1.50 per round for eternity, but $2.50 ? I agree, that is robbery.

You got 22LR at .08 per round, and that is positively great.
If you are as concerned as you say, I would pick it up any time it gets below .12 per round.

I have plenty to last a while, and will only sell them (at cost) to people I know.Profit (even gouging) is capitalism, and I can't really fault that, but I won't do that. I just want the "right" people to get ammo that I buy.

Old 06-06-2023, 01:35 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I would suspect 22-250 will be over $1.50 per round for eternity, but $2.50 ? I agree, that is robbery.

You got 22LR at .08 per round, and that is positively great.
If you are as concerned as you say, I would pick it up any time it gets below .12 per round.

I have plenty to last a while, and will only sell them (at cost) to people I know.Profit (even gouging) is capitalism, and I can't really fault that, but I won't do that. I just want the "right" people to get ammo that I buy.
It's hard for me not to lament seeing maybe 8 to 12 dollars for a 550 round carton of 22 going eternally away. Plus seeing the unadulterated thrashing my son took on that 22 250 is pretty hard to take. For a while there 22 was near impossible to find around here and it was almost as expensive to shoot the rimfires as the ARs in 5.56/223.

We still handload for 9mm and 45 ACP and have a decent stock of components but not even enough to carry us if we competed this year. Competed regularly anyway. There is a fair sized projectile making plant just outside Cartoon City that is still trying to fill backorders from over a year ago. They used to sponsor my son when he was in the youth division but they can't keep up with regular orders let alone put 10,000 projectiles (for any caliber) out for sport support.

The turnout for the steel and bowling pin matches has been so dismal the league has canceled most of the matches for those disciplines in 2022 and into now. It's not an easy thing to see a sport one has loved and supported for a lifetime just evaporate like this. We have just been trying to focus on staying in practice for real world defensive purposes. Shooting is a martial art and practice is essential but the fun in the sun festive air that comes with hanging out with your buddies testing each others skill and throwing down some good natured ribbing and joking can be lacking when things are focused on just staying familiar with equipment.

Shooting and serious shooters are becoming the illegitimate black sheep of the athletic arena. Our sport is being priced out of reach for average folks. Throughout the world anything that involves the ownership and use of firearms are areas that belong to the wealthy. It's fast becoming so here in the US. It's not there all the way yet but it's raising dust on our backtrails. If the US follows suit with ...lets just say Europe since it's all things European we constantly hear praise being sung too...the daunting cost of ammunition without which our firearms are useless is a bad enough concern. Tack on all manner of taxes fees requisite licensing (for which sacrifice of a first born is required) storage (only approved armories may store firearms and ammunition...which costs heavily) I think where I'm going is obvious.

I've been waiting and watching prices on ammunition for my staple calibers and have actually managed to maintain a supply that keeps the round count on hand stable while allowing for practice shooting with at least some fun tossed in. My income however isn't quite as good as it once was and that has me weighing options somethime. Hmmm, do I eat something besides Ramen this week or do I buy that 500 rounds of green tip at "sale' price. LMAO, decisions decisions.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

We still handload for 9mm and 45 ACP and have a decent stock of components but not even enough to carry us if we competed this year. Competed regularly anyway. There is a fair sized projectile making plant just outside Cartoon City that is still trying to fill backorders from over a year ago. They used to sponsor my son when he was in the youth division but they can't keep up with regular orders let alone put 10,000 projectiles (for any caliber) out for sport support.

while I am not a competition shooter (simply trying to remain competent, myself, and teach others to be safe) I can understand the problems. Economics, especially.

Old 06-07-2023, 06:49 PM

1,063 posts, read 909,691 times
the decline in popularity of .40 S&W allowed an adequate
supply "on the shelf" for the last three years....but....
now the price has gone down for the cartridges
AND the firearms, especially on the
Buy/Sell/Trade forums/sites.

Old 06-08-2023, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
the decline in popularity of .40 S&W allowed an adequate
supply "on the shelf" for the last three years....but....
now the price has gone down for the cartridges
AND the firearms, especially on the
Buy/Sell/Trade forums/sites.
It is a little like land. You buy land when you think you get a decent deal.
Doesn't mean you won't see a better buy, next week.

But it is still a good investment.

Shelf life of good quality commercially manufactured ammo,
in original boxes, in an air conditioned house, is over thirty years.
(No one really knows exactly how long.)

Old 06-10-2023, 12:03 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
It is a little like land. You buy land when you think you get a decent deal.
Doesn't mean you won't see a better buy, next week.

But it is still a good investment.

Shelf life of good quality commercially manufactured ammo,
in original boxes, in an air conditioned house, is over thirty years.
(No one really knows exactly how long.)
I have shot my own handloads up to 40 years old. Stored in a cool dry place, ammo will outlast the guy who bought it or loaded it. And like land, you are very unlikely to regret the purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting