Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2023, 10:58 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times

Advertisements

There are a few opportunities around here.
I am sure I will get back to shooting - maybe this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 06:38 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
So I can see your point, gun sales rose creating a short term demand for ammo for the new guns. But even in this thread it shows how most people aren't shooting much anymore. Age, proximity to ranges, other things taking up free time = less ammo being run through the chamber. I know two lifelong gun owners (one ex-secret service) that have closets full of guns and haven't fired one in 10+ years. Why? They simply got old. Their sons shoot, will inherit the collections at some point so none of that will go to waste. Heck I haven't shot anything since last summer and even that day we only went through about 200 rounds.

At the end of the day, the manufacturers would want to keep those shelves full, they get paid per box and for every box that isn't on the shelf means lost profits. CEO's want bonuses, they want to brag about sales so the will make as much ammo as they possibly can.

Old 02-19-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
So I can see your point, gun sales rose creating a short term demand for ammo for the new guns. But even in this thread it shows how most people aren't shooting much anymore. Age, proximity to ranges, other things taking up free time = less ammo being run through the chamber. I know two lifelong gun owners (one ex-secret service) that have closets full of guns and haven't fired one in 10+ years. Why? They simply got old. Their sons shoot, will inherit the collections at some point so none of that will go to waste. Heck I haven't shot anything since last summer and even that day we only went through about 200 rounds.
If you think about it, your argument contradicts your premise.

Quote:
At the end of the day, the manufacturers would want to keep those shelves full, they get paid per box and for every box that isn't on the shelf means lost profits. CEO's want bonuses, they want to brag about sales so the will make as much ammo as they possibly can.
It isn't always that easy. At least a couple ammo factories got shut down for a couple years, so the shelves couldn't stay full.

I joined this thread, because I am out of 410 ammo.
Haven't seen any at my "Local Gun Store" since about 2017.
That is five years.
Maybe I should change my three year stockpile to five years.

Things happen. Allowing yourself to run out of a caliber (as several posters in this thread have) leads to demand that may not happen when the caliber is available. If we buy sufficient quantities, when it is available, it helps to prevent panic buying, when others want to buy it. It isn't hoarding, it is a good supply process.

If we could couple that to a good usage algorithm (I wrote a pair of algorithms like that, about 8 or 9 years ago. I might dig them up.) we could insure no one ran out, for the foreseeable future.

Old 02-19-2023, 10:42 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
I would gladly buy ammo in my caliber and desired traits regularly, in not-hoarding quantities, if it were possible. Getting it has turned into an unpredictable gamble (crap shoot?).

Buying huge quantities when it is available was never appealing because there are no refunds on ammo if you get a bad batch. Buyers beware!

I do range practice regularly, usually twice a month. If ammo supplies were better and if the range was closer, I would go once a week except in summer, when it would be twice a month. I have other interests that take precedence in the warm season.

Old 02-19-2023, 11:24 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
If you think about it, your argument contradicts your premise.

It isn't always that easy. At least a couple ammo factories got shut down for a couple years, so the shelves couldn't stay full.

I joined this thread, because I am out of 410 ammo.
Haven't seen any at my "Local Gun Store" since about 2017.
That is five years.
Maybe I should change my three year stockpile to five years.

Things happen. Allowing yourself to run out of a caliber (as several posters in this thread have) leads to demand that may not happen when the caliber is available. If we buy sufficient quantities, when it is available, it helps to prevent panic buying, when others want to buy it. It isn't hoarding, it is a good supply process.

If we could couple that to a good usage algorithm (I wrote a pair of algorithms like that, about 8 or 9 years ago. I might dig them up.) we could insure no one ran out, for the foreseeable future.
Remington going bankrupt, divvied up and the delay in new ammo operations at almost the worst time hurt quite a bit. And now with a full scale war in Ukraine I’m sure European and Australian powder producers are devoting supply to military ammo.

I don’t think supply is going to be normal for a while. Just my hunch.

Old 02-19-2023, 12:01 PM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Remington going bankrupt, divvied up and the delay in new ammo operations at almost the worst time hurt quite a bit. And now with a full scale war in Ukraine I’m sure European and Australian powder producers are devoting supply to military ammo.

I don’t think supply is going to be normal for a while. Just my hunch.
Powder is still through the roof. I see people paying ridiculous prices just to get what they need. The thing is, I've been trying to sell some pull down powders for a reasonable price. But, since people have not really heard of them they won't touch them. Guess I'll just keep it and load it myself.

Old 02-19-2023, 12:07 PM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Why? At some point, you will die with thousands of rounds of un-used ammo.

As a kid I helped my dad clear out an old guys stuff after he died. Widow wanted more space, not all the guns/ammo ready to eat meals (they were old, completely unedible as we had to try one). The guns were already gone to a relative but the ammo was too heavy to be shipped. We probably loaded 10-15 ammo boxes and gave them to a friend. This guy was loading up after the Cuban Missile Crisis (60's) and we were throwing everything out in the mid 80's.

At some point you have to let the paranoia settle, "be ready" but nobody needs a 53 foot trailer buried in the backyard full of ammo.
I have tens of thousands of loaded rounds and components for much more than that. My entire family hunts and shoots and when I go whomever is left will get it. A nice gift that I couldn't afford to buy all at once.

After Sandy Hook every single time I went by Big 5 I bought at least 3-5 boxes of .22 LR. The last time I was there about a week ago still NO .22 LR.

We've already had what, 5 rounds of clear the shelves since then. One year I had to leave some rifles at home because I had no ammo to hunt with. Not gonna happen again.

At some point, unless they want to learn to reload I will sell my reloading gear (after loading even more first).

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 02-19-2023 at 12:15 PM..

Old 02-19-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
After Sandy Hook every single time I went by Big 5 I bought at least 3-5 boxes of .22 LR. The last time I was there about a week ago still NO .22 LR.
Seems dependent on location. 22LR has been available here, for over a year.

Quote:
We've already had what, 5 rounds of clear the shelves since then. One year I had to leave some rifles at home because I had no ammo to hunt with. Not gonna happen again.
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”
― Rudyard Kipling

Thanks to City Guy997S, I now realized I have been under estimating how much ammo we need to keep on hand. Five years, instead of three

Quote:
At some point, unless they want to learn to reload I will sell my reloading gear (after loading even more first).
I never took up reloading, because I am prone to make mistakes. If some of my electronics won't work, I tear it down and rebuild it. If I make a mistake on ammo, someone could be injured.

Somethings like ammo and canning, I leave to guys like you: ones who get it right, every time.

Old 02-19-2023, 05:55 PM

1,063 posts, read 906,196 times
thank you TRex2:

“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”
― Rudyard Kipling

Old 02-19-2023, 08:11 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Powder is still through the roof. I see people paying ridiculous prices just to get what they need. The thing is, I've been trying to sell some pull down powders for a reasonable price. But, since people have not really heard of them they won't touch them. Guess I'll just keep it and load it myself.
Depends on the pull down. A lot of it very slow burning powder for large munitions that won’t really work well for smaller calibers, unless they are extremely overbore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting