Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 01:28 AM

3 posts, read 7,536 times

Advertisements

I wonder the same exact thing. I've had both long and short hair and people's reactions when I cut my hair were either sad or angry ones.

My hair was long almost all of my life (I'll be 21 in two days) but recently I cut it short after obsessing over Rachel Green's hair in the show FRIENDS. I wanted to look a little different from everyone else (and really I just wanted to try it) because everywhere I looked I saw girls all with the same exact hair length (lower back), style, etc. It bugged me. I didn't look like that (I had layers and bangs as well) but I also wanted to show that short hair looks great also.

When I cut it, my coworkers asked if I was crazy (yeah) and were acting as if their own hair was cut without their permission. Many were upset. It made my parents sad as well. Now my hair is growing long and everyone is telling me to grow/keep it long. Even the hair stylists at the salon I went to are telling me since I'm young I should let it grow long (which I don't get).

I went to my mother and asked what she thought and immediately she replied with "Don't cut it!! Leave it long!" (Mind you, my parents are very open and always let me make my own decisions and are always behind me regardless, so this was a bit shocking.)

The only reason I can think of as to why long hair is preferred (according to my parents at least) is long hair makes you look more elegant as opposed to "trendy." It also makes you look more exotic or "interesting." And if you have nice, healthy hair, then you should show it off (even though you can still see it when it's short).
The reason I personally like short hair is because it's so much easier for me to deal with, I can wake up it'll look great without even touching it, it's not in the way, it's stylish, and I guess it brings people's attention more towards my face and/or body. Maybe even personality, I don't know. Long hair I feel is a huge distraction, if that makes sense.

I don't get it, and I agree with the idea that there should be more diversity with haircuts and styles. But nowadays in this society, all girls try to be alike to fit in. Many celebrities and models also have hair that is alike, and they're considered gorgeous/sexy. So of course, many girls are going to want to look the same.

(Sorry I rambled off, I just wanted to share my own personal experience.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 10:06 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Ok, my hair is long, but .......................... it's GREEN. Am I "cookie-cutter"???

(Just kidding!)

(About the GREEN, that is.)

Old 03-25-2014, 10:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
I guess long hair makes women simply more feminine, i.e. more different from men. There are also a lot of people who hate it when men have longer hair or even a ponytail.
Most people simply don't want that mixing of conventional gender markers.
Another example is face shape. Women with edgy faces are not considered equally attractive, just like men with round faces...

Old 03-25-2014, 10:08 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,579,253 times
My daughter and I both have our hair down to the middle of our back and I will be 43 next month. I have had some women tell me I should cut it but no way! I have always had it long and plan to keep it that way for as long as I can. Most men I know hate short hair with few exceptions, and I honestly don't like it much either. Personally, I have never met a woman that I thought looked good with a pixie cut. Awhile back when emma watson got one I remember sitting in a restaurant and overhearing some guys talking about it and they were talking about how ugly they thought it was and how they hated pixie cuts.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Ok, my hair is long, but .......................... it's GREEN. Am I "cookie-cutter"???

(Just kidding!)

(About the GREEN, that is.)
Depends on the type of green

Some people look good with wild hair colors (green, pink, etc.), others look like trash...

Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
My daughter and I both have our hair down to the middle of our back and I will be 43 next month. I have had some women tell me I should cut it but no way! I have always had it long and plan to keep it that way for as long as I can. Most men I know hate short hair with few exceptions, and I honestly don't like it much either. Personally, I have never met a woman that I thought looked good with a pixie cut. Awhile back when emma watson got one I remember sitting in a restaurant and overhearing some guys talking about it and they were talking about how ugly they thought it was and how they hated pixie cuts.
I think a woman has to be really beautiful if she has a hairdo like that, a face and body that compensate for the short hair. And if such a woman had long hair, she would probably look even better.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:04 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,030,437 times
Short hair is in.

Zedd - Stay The Night ft. Hayley Williams - YouTube

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...11_306x454.jpg

Old 03-25-2014, 05:08 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I love long hair on a woman. So sexy.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I don't care whether short hair is in, or whether strange men in restaurants don't like short hair. I LOVE my short hair and so does my husband! I've had it short (sometimes REALLY short) for over twenty years and I get compliments on it a lot.

It fits my face well. I have a roundish face and very big eyes. I look much better with short hair than long hair.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
After 10+ years of having my hair down to my butt, I recently cut my hair down to about 4 inches. I love it. I don't care what other people think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care