Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:26 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
To answer the original question I do believe America is over medicated. It's sad how both the pharmaceutical & medical industries have brainwashed so many people into thinking they need to take a pill for every little thing wrong in their lives.

If someone truly needs medication in order to be well and survive there is nothing wrong with that, we have all needed medicine at some point in our lives, but there are plenty of things we are being mislead about in order to put more money in the pockets of the wrong people. Our health is not truly the overall concern anymore.

I strongly believe that there are already cures for diseases, as well as future cures that we will never hear about. Think about it, a cure for any disease that generates billions of dollars in prescriptions isn't likely to ever be introduced, it would mean a huge loss of $$$ for the pharmaceutical industry, no way they will allow it to happen. That's not only sad it's absolutely disgusting.

We live in America though and are lucky to have the freedom to make our own decisions when it comes to our health, and I would hope more people would take it upon themselves to become better educated and informed about their health, physical & mental. Taking a pill for every little thing is nothing more than putting a band-aid over your ailment, there is a root to every problem and while it is sometimes necessary to turn to medicine, it's also important to know what your taking, and to be educated enough to know if your truly doing the right thing for your body.

Be well everyone.
I agree with everything written here. Excellent post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 06:53 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I went to lunch with a friend. After the meal, she pulled out a pill box and popped about four different pills. I didn't ask what they were for. The other day, I went to visit a friend. As soon as I walked in, I saw pill containers everywhere. What pills are you taking? Beta blockers and anti-depressants, he said. It seems everyone I know is popping prescription drugs. Pills for heart problems. Pills to lower cholesterol. Pills for erectile disorders. Pills for menopause. And lots and lots of pills for depression, anxiety, and other mood disorders.

What's happening to us? Are we buying into big pharma? Making drug companies rich? Do we really need to take all these drugs? Are we a bunch of sickos? What's going on?

Some of the patients I have looked after have had so many tablets in their lockers - I just thourght "No wonder they're ill taking all this!"

I think we are too quick to take medications. Our bodies are capable and we need to do more naturally to increase our bodies ability to fight infections and disease not interfer with it.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:13 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
What's happening to us? Are we buying into big pharma?
Yes.

Quote:
Making drug companies rich?
Yes.

Quote:
Do we really need to take all these drugs?
No.

Quote:
Are we a bunch of sickos?
The majority of us? Yes.

Quote:
What's going on?

What's going on? Bad diet, no exercise, high amount of stress, the lack of supplementation all pushes us towards the arms of ever-welcoming but mostly well-meaning hardworking doctors.
Fear and lack of knowledge and last but not least laziness to learn about alternatives methods is the reason why we are so content to take the pill and call it a day.

Not that there are no situations when you absolutely have to be on medication, but I would say at least 70% when we could skip it if we really tried.

And now, aks you doctor if "too much computer time" is right for you!!!!
ps...headaches, anemia all can be serious side effects...

Last edited by max's mama; 06-22-2008 at 07:45 PM..

Old 06-22-2008, 10:13 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I agree with everything written here. Excellent post!
Thank you very much for your comments.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:57 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I went to lunch with a friend. After the meal, she pulled out a pill box and popped about four different pills. I didn't ask what they were for. The other day, I went to visit a friend. As soon as I walked in, I saw pill containers everywhere. What pills are you taking? Beta blockers and anti-depressants, he said. It seems everyone I know is popping prescription drugs. Pills for heart problems. Pills to lower cholesterol. Pills for erectile disorders. Pills for menopause. And lots and lots of pills for depression, anxiety, and other mood disorders.

What's happening to us? Are we buying into big pharma? Making drug companies rich? Do we really need to take all these drugs? Are we a bunch of sickos? What's going on?
This has been my gripe for years, especially years of working for doctors and big pharma.
I too think we are an overmedicated society which in turn creates more problems and less healthy people.
Our kids all have ADD, our seniors all have diabetes and high cholesterol and our middle agers all have depression and anxiety.
When did we stop trying to fix things ourselves and start running to and putting all of our trust into doctors?
I remember the good old days when you had a cold, you drank fluids, rested and got over it, now everyone comes to the doctor for a runny nose and wants a quick fix!
What happened to us?

I remember when I almost got sucked into this craziness. My daughter was having acid issues, she was put on Nexium, then it got worse, then she started to have other issues, which is when we got sent to another doctor who knew the meds she was on and wanted to add to that list - well when I researched the meds myself, I found that it would have been a near fatal combination of drugs!!!

I stopped all meds, changed her diet and she has been fine ever since.
I personally don't see a doc unless I'm having a near emergency situation and that's been years!
I take vitamins, which even taking those, took a lot of research on my part, they are based on my diet, lifestyle, exercise and all benefit me greatly.
It just makes me sick to see our society all doped up all the time. I think NO, I know that the pharmaceuticals are getting rich off of society and their needs for a quick fix.
25 years ago, you NEVER saw meds being advertised on television, now that's all the commercials are! Ever picked up a Readers Digest? Every ad in there is all about prescription meds, if you have the problem, they have the medicine!
Something is terribly wrong. Half of the drugs on the market will end up being taken off once the pharma companies and the FDA realize that they didn't spend enough researching and instead use society as their guinea pigs.
If you are taking meds, research them, get a second opinion do wehat you need to do in order to not take something you absolutely don't need to have.
You are only doing harm to yourself by not being proactive with your own health. As usual, this is just my opinion.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:07 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
25 years ago, you NEVER saw meds being advertised on television, now that's all the commercials are! Ever picked up a Readers Digest? Every ad in there is all about prescription meds, if you have the problem, they have the medicine!
I mentioned this as well and I completely agree with you. What's funny is these commercials usually mention the side affects associated with the medication, and often they are reading off quite a huge list of what could happen to you. After hearing some of the side affects I'd almost rather just suffer through whatever is bothering me than to add sometimes more serious problems from taking their so called miracle drug.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:17 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
andreaspercheron, You might have it backwards. I think they first create a new miracle drug, THEN they invent a disease to cure with it!

j760, Most of these miracle drugs simply MASK the symptoms of one newly minted dis-ease for a new list of symptoms that are even worse then the one being numbed out. This generates a never ending cycle of this drug for that disease and assures an ever expanding market for their newest poisons. An ETF or mutual fund, with holdings in big pharma might be a good investment for a person who doesn't care how they make their money.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:14 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,098 times
[quote=GreenMachine;2371615]Oh, and read this article here in the WSJ:

Moderator cut: you need to post link, you cant post copywritten material
I'm 45 years old and I have Alzheimers Disease. Do you realize that your statement here you know nothing about and I know too well what these drugs are for! I am one of those people who take a variety of medications!

First of all Aricept is an Alzheimers medication. It is used for memory. Alzheimers isn't a disease that makes you forget your memory. It does much more than cause memory problems. It is a disease where the cells in your brain slowly die and demetia problems occur w/ many elderly people as well. Like Alzheimers and Dementia, Depression occurs and so does anxiety. I don't know why it happens to the brain. Medications are needed because the brain is not balanced. You obviously don't know about this but the brain goes into a very deep dark place. It isn't a place you'd like to visit, nor do I like to visit. Medications are needed to prevent and stop these symptoms because you do feel as if you are losing your mind and although you may not have ever had mental illness, you suddenly feel like you are crazy.

You've also heard of Alzheimers patiens wandering off at night, well many of ys can no longer sleep. Sleep studies are done and REM sleep gets tested, Some people like myself have no REM function, therefore, sleep medications are necessary. Please read about Alzheimers and dmentia before you make statements.

Some of you think Dr.'s just prescribe, prescribe, prescribe. I'd rather people who have problems w/ depression, mental illness or whatever is wrong mentally get prescribed something rather than them walking around and do something to hurt someone or in my case live in a hell that can be treated for the time being rather than die in a way that is a nightmare more than just simple forgetting.

Last edited by Suzet2262; 07-15-2008 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: copyright

Old 06-24-2008, 11:41 AM

67 posts, read 201,469 times
Well, I'm starting to really take an keen interest in the foods I put into my body. These huge corporations benefit from selling us food that makes us sick and then they make more money from selling us drugs to stabilize us.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:58 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettuce View Post
Well, I'm starting to really take an keen interest in the foods I put into my body. These huge corporations benefit from selling us food that makes us sick and then they make more money from selling us drugs to stabilize us.

Exactly!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness