Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 04:13 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have bottles on nightstand for sleep too and I sleep 8-10 hrs and have worked with alternatives for this good sleep. My latest addition is Melissa and I'm sure no one knows it. It's cheap otc. And as I see it, so much depends on which industry you want to support. I wonder if there are supplement lobbyists in D.C. Probably so as this industry has been attacked starting about 30 yrs ago in the health food stores. I saw shelves emptied and banners across the shelves. The alternative industry has had a hard battle.
Yes, there are supplement lobbyists.

Look up the supplement industry on the stock exchange. It's a multi-billion dollar industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 04:15 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Yes, there are supplement lobbyists.

Look up the supplement industry on the stock exchange. It's a multi-billion dollar industry.
Exactly....."hard battle" please

They make money hand over fist, unregulated, high profit margins with a sucker born every minute ready to buy what they are selling...

Old 06-04-2018, 07:40 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Can you please tell us your medical and educational background, including all certifications?

You have said this to so many on C-D, as if you are the supreme authority on all medical issues.

I thought you said previously you just enjoyed googling research, which is fine, but please don't shut down discussions and other posters. Not everyone is in the 60% positive group in your research articles, many of us are in the 40% where something didn't work or had harmful side effects. I think those personal stories are just as important, if not more so, and add to the discussion.

Can you imagine going to your doctor and telling him that you had a bad reaction to a medicine and she says, "as you've been told repeatedly, your personal story doesn't matter, look at all this research showing that medicine works..."
It does not take a medical degree to understand how science works. It does take some understanding of scientific methods though, and I have formally studied that - and biochemistry and physiology. I do not just "google research," I like to read the scientific articles, including many that I do not post links to because they are not reader friendly to many here on CD. I try to find links that are geared more toward laymen.

The person to whom I was responding has specifically stated in other threads that she is not interested in science and persists in telling stories about her family as if their experiences outweigh the science. No, personal stories are not scientific data. If 100 people were to post in this thread and 60 had positive experiences and 40 had less than satisfactory results, that would still not be scientific data, because the people posting here on CD are unlikely to be representative of the whole country. The people most likely to post are those who have had bad experiences, and very often the split is not 60 positive to 40 negative, it's 999 (or more) to 1 when it is studied properly. Do you really think drug companies want to make and doctors want to prescribe meds that harm people?

That is why scientific studies are done. Two groups of people that are as much alike as possible are compared, one of which gets a medication and the other does not. Then you compare outcomes. The more people in your study, the better. One or two (like in a family) are not sufficient.

Personal stories do matter - to the person with the story. They may even contribute to the body of knowledge about a medication if enough people have the same story. That is how uncommon side effects are discovered. But one person having a bad experience with a medication does not make that medication evil and it does not mean no one should use it. The last time I took a sulfonamide antibiotic it gave me hives. That will be the last time I ever take it. It does not mean that no one else who is not allergic to it should not take it. However, people with bad experiences will demonize medications and try to persuade others not to take them.

A personal story is just one person's experience. You can decide how much it means to you, but it is not scientific data.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 06-04-2018 at 07:56 PM..

Old 06-04-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
And some here just think pharma meds are all the answers...and they are NOT. I'm not telling anyone not to take their statins.....some of these folks have closed tight minds to all other protocols for healing.

And there are plenty who feel Americans are overmedicated. 244,000 deaths or more annually from drug interactions!!!!
I would welcome any "protocol" for "healing" that you have. All you have to do is show me evidence that the "protocol" produces "healing". Anecdotes are not enough.

Quote:
I never said YOU were. I do see my neighbor who was hit with RA a couple yrs ago and boy has she aged from the drugs she takes. She was a vibrant strong woman and now...she can't afford to buy a lot of supplements but buys some.

I resent all the drug ads that bombard our tv programs and don't see them anymore as I got rid of tv. But before, good grief. And I've had my days in the ER with drug side effects and loved one on ICU from drug interactions...so I have resentments. Why can't we get pharma to give us drugs that don't cause ALL the side effects they do....sure seems like this can be done, but nope.
You are sure it is the drugs that have caused her to age and not the medical condition for which the drugs were prescribed?

Do you have evidence that any supplements would help her arthritis? Anecdotes are not enough.

Nope. There will never be a drug that cannot ever cause side effects. Your supplements can cause side effects, too, sometimes fatal. Vitamins and minerals can cause side effects. Take too much magnesium and you will get diarrhea. Too much potassium can stop your heart.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
244,000 deaths or more annually from drug interactions!!!!
Not true. That is a poor conclusion derived from numbers too small to be used to derive it.

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2017/02...use-death.html

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/are...th-in-the-u-s/

Old 06-04-2018, 08:12 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I would welcome any "protocol" for "healing" that you have. All you have to do is show me evidence that the "protocol" produces "healing". Anecdotes are not enough.

You are sure it is the drugs that have caused her to age and not the medical condition for which the drugs were prescribed?

Do you have evidence that any supplements would help her arthritis? Anecdotes are not enough.

Nope. There will never be a drug that cannot ever cause side effects. Your supplements can cause side effects, too, sometimes fatal. Vitamins and minerals can cause side effects. Take too much magnesium and you will get diarrhea. Too much potassium can stop your heart.

I take RA drugs and look fabulous!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-04-2018, 08:36 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Do you really think drug companies want to make and doctors want to prescribe meds that harm people?
Yes. Their goal isn't to harm people, but they can easily blind themselves to the possible harm. They want to make and prescribe meds that provide easy simplistic answers to complex problems, and allow them to rake in billions in profit.

Your blind faith in scientific establishments, and the government agencies that supposedly protect us, is awfully naive.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:39 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, that's great, some just age better/worse than others...I look good for almost 80...I still get you look in 60's..

For SQ:
On the science based stuff, I go to health groups to ask others how they do on this or that and not asking them for the scientific data on this or that. I've been doing that for about 10 good years of opinions and personal info. Helps me make decisions..same with my friends, we don't exchange science with one another.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:41 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
This is the first time I have seen you mention that you take RA drugs. In all the recent conversations where you told us how a healthy lifestyle does not keep your blood sugar normal (and I forget exactly what else), you didn't mention it. Maybe that mystery would be solved if you look up the side effects of the RA drugs you take.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:17 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Well, that's great, some just age better/worse than others...I look good for almost 80...I still get you look in 60's..

For SQ:
On the science based stuff, I go to health groups to ask others how they do on this or that and not asking them for the scientific data on this or that. I've been doing that for about 10 good years of opinions and personal info. Helps me make decisions..same with my friends, we don't exchange science with one another.
Your personal experience is in no way a testament to anything. I believe that you take good care of yourself, eat well, and whatever else you do works FOR YOU. But you have yet to prove any of your claims. So recommending something does not mean it is going to work for anyone else.

My father is 93. He has adult onset diabetes - not from obesity, he has never been overweight. He has had 3 stents put in and is on all kinds fo medications. His wife, my step mother, is a terrible cook so he has a fairly crappy diet. And yet at 93 he has no dementia, gets around, and seems to have more years ahead. My point in mentioning this is that everyone is different. Your personal experience means squat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness