Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 03:45 PM

885 posts, read 1,382,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasanti View Post
okay this is good info. I think I may need to ask them directly because they are projecting income that we no longer receive and so the rent is a little higher then we anticipated.. so I’m wondering if there is a way to see what tier bracket we fall into
Hey I just found the announcement:

https://www.thecarolinanyc.com/wp-co...pproved-Ad.pdf

You can check here to see where your new income falls to see what your rent might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 03:50 PM

125 posts, read 132,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
also! check out this page:

https://streeteasy.com/blog/nyc-affo...certification/

It states, "Income recertification is not required for all lottery buildings. But if your building is financed by a federal program (i.e., Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LITHC) or HOME Investment Partnerships), chances are you will have to go through the process. If that is the case, each year, your building’s management company or the organization that financed your building will ask you to submit pay stubs, bank statements and other financial documents for review. Through this recertification process, you are also able to confirm or update the number of people in your household."

So what you'd need to know now is, is this building financed by the LITHC or Home IP federal programs. This is usually stated on the lottery announcement. I went to the housing lottery website to check the announcement and the link is broken, takes you to an error page :-/
You’re an angel! Thank you for these details and being so informative! I appreciate this so much!

Old 05-29-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
You’re an angel! Thank you for these details and being so informative! I appreciate this so much!
Awww you're very welcome! Always happy to help and share any knowledge I have on this process. I know it's not easy for us, there's so many rules and the waiting is killer but it's always within reach!

Old 05-29-2020, 05:26 PM

9 posts, read 8,702 times
Hi Chasanti, be careful about the income change, it may affect your eligibility. Good luck!

" After eligibility appointment (formerly “post-interview”)
a. In the case that an applicant’s income changes after the eligibility
appointment, and such change impacts their
eligibility for the unit for which they are in process, the Marketing Agent
will not reconsider the application unless the change is due to an
extenuating circumstance."

Quote:
okay this is good info. I think I may need to ask them directly because they are projecting income that we no longer receive and so the rent is a little higher then we anticipated.. so I’m wondering if there is a way to see what tier bracket we fall into

Old 05-29-2020, 05:35 PM

9 posts, read 8,702 times
Congratulations. I went by the building every week. I asked a construction worker and he said it would be finished before August.
I have log# much lower than you, 2xxx, like Chasanti's. I did the interview early April and signed the TIC form mid April with unit # and rent on the form. Last week I was asked to submit updated files, including bank statements and paystubs.

Quote:
You know, I'm really not sure! They asked me for additional documents on April 27th and said i had to send them in by May 5th which i sent in like 2 days later. On Monday May 4th there was some details left off the household questionnaire that she brought to my attention. I updated the form and scanned it back to her that same day. So I'm guessing they sent off the file May 5th, but it could have been any date after that, she never really told me. But let's say she sent it the week of May 4th, this week is the week of May 25th, so that's anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks, solely an estimate though! but at any rate, now that I know my file is approved, i'm wondering why the next steps are going to take a few more weeks :-/

Old 05-29-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boheme2020 View Post
Hi Chasanti, be careful about the income change, it may affect your eligibility. Good luck!

Thank you for this piece of information ! I appreciate it! How many bedrooms are you in for?

Old 05-29-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Loss of income due to the pandemic is DEFINITELY an extenuating circumstance!
They will consider someone's unemployment payments now, even if they interviewed and provided employment stubs before.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Loss of income due to the pandemic is DEFINITELY an extenuating circumstance!
They will consider someone's unemployment payments now, even if they interviewed and provided employment stubs before.

The loss of income is that my child no longer received ssi benefits and I no longer intend on trying to obtain that benefit. The letter of the discontinued benefit hasn’t arrived in the mail yet. But I was just wondering if and when it does.. let’s say they mark my file approved. Would I be able to ask for them to recalculate our projected income.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Congratulations. I went by the building every week. I asked a construction worker and he said it would be finished before August.
I have log# much lower than you, 2xxx, like Chasanti's. I did the interview early April and signed the TIC form mid April with unit # and rent on the form. Last week I was asked to submit updated files, including bank statements and paystubs.
That's awesome! Congratulations to you as well! My last email requesting updated documents was on April 27th but no interview or TIC form as yet, the waiting continues! Which ami and unit size did you snag, if you dont mind me asking!

Old 05-29-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
The loss of income is that my child no longer received ssi benefits and I no longer intend on trying to obtain that benefit. The letter of the discontinued benefit hasn’t arrived in the mail yet. But I was just wondering if and when it does.. let’s say they mark my file approved. Would I be able to ask for them to recalculate our projected income.
Okay, so did they calculate that SSI benefit when they initially calculated your income and qualified you for the unit? If so, here's the thing: you can definitely give them the discontinued benefits letter and ask them to recalculate your income, but if you do this after your file has been approved by hpd, it may throw you back into the processing stage and prolong your waiting. They would definitely re-calculate your annual projected income and if it's lower than what you initially had when you qualified, they can consider you for a lower income band if they have units left that are not assigned. This means you'd pay lower rent, but there's also a chance that the process would take too long and risk you being placed on a waitlist for a lower income band. I hope everything works out for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery