Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2020, 11:18 AM

18 posts, read 20,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th street View Post
Yes it is 24/7 doorman service.
I moved in this week,it is one bed on 13 fl, facing N/E and it is very noisy, Williamsburg bridge is killing us,
we do have a very beautiful view but I will trade less noise for the view.
I am very grateful for this unit but to tell you the truth I wish if I know this before.
All staff is very good and very helpful. The storage is bit problem it is only 2 on small size closets no linen or pantry cabinets. Washer and drier are in the hallway I do not see any wet hose in that closet I am wondering how much of the moist especially from the drier it will and for now the bathroom went is not working.
We are 130% and rent is not that cheap, not quiet sure for the electricity charge, they do not have individual electricity meters, for now we are not paying electricity until they get approved from I believe Direct energy. They will calculate how much each unit will be charged!
How much I understand only gas and electricity for the A/C and lights we should pay, but now I am wondering how they will do that when is heat/AC in one box. Also they said one when is done calculation electricity bill will be automatically added to the rent bill.
If we have to pay all year around for heat and a/c that would add a lot on already high rent.
I will call again to ask for better explanation.
Love my new noisy and vibrant neighborhood, a lot of stores is around to shop.

Were you given options to pick the one bedroom units? Sorry to hear about the noise. How big is your unit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 12:22 PM

14 posts, read 12,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th street View Post
Yes it is 24/7 doorman service.
I moved in this week,it is one bed on 13 fl, facing N/E and it is very noisy, Williamsburg bridge is killing us,
we do have a very beautiful view but I will trade less noise for the view.
I am very grateful for this unit but to tell you the truth I wish if I know this before.
All staff is very good and very helpful. The storage is bit problem it is only 2 on small size closets no linen or pantry cabinets. Washer and drier are in the hallway I do not see any wet hose in that closet I am wondering how much of the moist especially from the drier it will and for now the bathroom went is not working.
We are 130% and rent is not that cheap, not quiet sure for the electricity charge, they do not have individual electricity meters, for now we are not paying electricity until they get approved from I believe Direct energy. They will calculate how much each unit will be charged!
How much I understand only gas and electricity for the A/C and lights we should pay, but now I am wondering how they will do that when is heat/AC in one box. Also they said one when is done calculation electricity bill will be automatically added to the rent bill.
If we have to pay all year around for heat and a/c that would add a lot on already high rent.
I will call again to ask for better explanation.
Love my new noisy and vibrant neighborhood, a lot of stores is around to shop.
I just went to see the apartment and it was on 10th floor and was very noisy even though it was facing downtown. Closets were small and shallow, all the rooms including the living room were small, smaller than the measurements I saw on their website(I guess they make the lottery apartments smaller?) And the overall finishing seemed very much on the cheap side. How does the laminated kitchen countertop working for you? I’ve seen a lot of fake granite tops in my 6 years of full-time career in Manhattan real estates, but this one was something else. Matte and cheap feeling. Not sure if I’m going to proceed. It’s 130%, 2 bedroom. When the market is overflowing with promotions and reduced rents, this rent priced “pre-pandemic” isn’t exactly a “
steal. They were firm about showing one unit only, which didn’t help either.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:31 PM

6,697 posts, read 6,064,486 times
Aren’t those windows soundproof?

Old 10-23-2020, 02:05 PM

This lottery just emailed me again to submit paperwork even though I had already sent my paperwork to that office last week. I actually feel like withdrawing my application. No way I'm moving from a quiet place to a noisy one...

Old 10-23-2020, 02:37 PM

3,159 posts, read 2,762,108 times
Sorry but not surprised to hear about the noise, given the location.

Electricity will eventually be charged separately. Hard to say what it will be, since WFH during the summer doubles your costs.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:34 PM

67 posts, read 60,161 times
No, I couldn’t have any other place.. windows are not soundproof and laminate is not to bad but counter top is very cheap.. in apt next to
Mine is real granite and looks very nice.. also my bath tub is very low and in other apt is higher and tiles are put sound.. definitely the stove n fridge are nice but not nice as other market rate apt
Paying 130% is very high and probably I could get for same price much bigger and more quiet place.
I was very excited by the fact that finally after 10 years applying finally I get the apt in new building .
If you are facing only north, west or south noise is not bad

Old 10-23-2020, 05:16 PM

35 posts, read 40,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
This lottery just emailed me again to submit paperwork even though I had already sent my paperwork to that office last week. I actually feel like withdrawing my application. No way I'm moving from a quiet place to a noisy one...
I got emailed again too.

Old 10-24-2020, 03:07 PM

7 posts, read 4,783 times
I submitted my documents in August 23rd and still haven’t heard anything back, at this point I’m pretty sure I should look for something else. What’s crazy is that my log # was 140 so I don’t understand why I didn’t get emailed.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karisma10 View Post
I submitted my documents in August 23rd and still haven’t heard anything back, at this point I’m pretty sure I should look for something else. What’s crazy is that my log # was 140 so I don’t understand why I didn’t get emailed.
This is very interesting. Can you call them and ask? I mean these people have our personal information so we should know what is being done with it.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:48 AM

3,159 posts, read 2,762,108 times
It's been two months, I think it's entirely reasonable for you to follow up (politely) at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery