Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 11:05 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You can get real one bedrooms in the South Bronx for $1200 and under with a straight shot on the subway to Midtown. That's not happening in Astoria whatsoever.
And where would this be exactly and how long ago did you look? The South Bronx is pretty big and from what I've been seeing recently, that is only the case in very select areas that require a bus to subway ride. Anywhere in Concourse Village or around the Concourse these days, that price you mentioned is usually for studios, not one bedrooms. The prices have gone up considerably, which is why it isn't all that cheap. Just look at what jc718 posted below about Goldfarb. It isn't the standard but it's damn close.

There really isn't that much of a difference in price between the good areas and the ghettos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 11:18 AM

444 posts, read 387,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Man times have changed.
You ain't lying. I saw an ad for an apartment in my old building, 2 bedroom 1 bath. $1900
Ok there are stainless steel appliances. But the layout wasn't as nice as the one I grew up in.

http://streeteasy.com/rental/2059466

My parents were paying $500. Yes it was the late 70's but still...damn...

Old 09-06-2017, 11:33 AM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
And where would this be exactly and how long ago did you look? The South Bronx is pretty big and from what I've been seeing recently, that is only the case in very select areas that require a bus to subway ride. Anywhere in Concourse Village or around the Concourse these days, that price you mentioned is usually for studios, not one bedrooms. The prices have gone up considerably, which is why it isn't all that cheap. Just look at what jc718 posted below about Goldfarb. It isn't the standard but it's damn close.

There really isn't that much of a difference in price between the good areas and the ghettos.
I know people who moved less than a year ago, paying less than that. I also just looked at Trulia and saw places for less than 1,100. This isn't happening in Astoria at all.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I know people who moved less than a year ago, paying less than that. I also just looked at Trulia and saw places for less than 1,100. This isn't happening in Astoria at all.
Really? Where and for what? Studios? I just checked Trulia as well today. There are places for that... Studios, not 1 bedrooms. For $250 more can have a studio in Astoria. Just checked on Trulia too, so the prices aren't *that different*, though of course most studios there are going for more than that, but still.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:51 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
You ain't lying. I saw an ad for an apartment in my old building, 2 bedroom 1 bath. $1900
Ok there are stainless steel appliances. But the layout wasn't as nice as the one I grew up in.

http://streeteasy.com/rental/2059466

My parents were paying $500. Yes it was the late 70's but still...damn...
So we gotta find a way to stabilize this man. Ya'll scared or what? C-D can be the jumping point but a lot are not ready.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-06-2017, 11:54 AM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Really? Where and for what? Studios? I just checked Trulia as well today. There are places for that... Studios, not 1 bedrooms. For $250 more can have a studio in Astoria. Just checked on Trulia too, so the prices aren't *that different*, though of course most studios there are going for more than that, but still.
Try this search: https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/40.7...IC_type/14_zm/

Using when you put minimum 1 bedroom, Trulia excludes studios. As with most listings for places that are near the bottom end, there are generally few if any pictures to accompany them. Usually for cheaper less desirable neighborhoods, you need to actually go and do legwork (or have someone do it for you like a broker) in order to get most of the listings. We're using Trulia because it's on the internetz, but it's doubtful that the better available places for the area on it.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Try this search: https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/40.7...IC_type/14_zm/

Using when you put minimum 1 bedroom, Trulia excludes studios. As with most listings for places that are near the bottom end, there are generally few if any pictures to accompany them. Usually for cheaper less desirable neighborhoods, you need to actually go and do legwork (or have someone do it for you like a broker) in order to get most of the listings. We're using Trulia because it's on the internetz, but it's doubtful that the better available places for the area on it.
Have seen some of these listings. They are in the *worst* parts of the South Bronx that aren't gentrifying and generally in run down buildings. You get what you pay for, but that's the floor these days. Cannot compare to the parts of the Bronx that *are* gentrifying, which is what we're talking about.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So we gotta find a way to stabilize this man. Ya'll scared or what? C-D can be the jumping point but a lot are not ready.
A lot of people seem obviously until it hits them in the face. West Harlem has had a huge influx of white people (Hamilton Heights area) and will soon be predominately white. All these new cafes are opening up on Broadway catering to white people. Harlem is over.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
NYC is a massive city. The whole city will never gentrify. By thr end of the decade, the lower South Bronx will be at critical mass gentrification. Where about 10 percent of the neighborhood will probably be gentry, and businesses will have to cater and move in for that 10 percent of the gentry. A place like west farms for example will never see the light of gentrification, even with development of all the affordable housing in the area. While a neighborhood such as coop city, Park Chester, city Island, throgs neck does not need gentrification due to being solid middle class.
Agreed. In 3 years as the South Bronx reaches a critical mass of gentrification, by that point West Harlem/Hamilton Heights might be predominately white. There's a rapid growth of the white population here and a lot of brownstones undergo renovation.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:22 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A lot of people seem obviously until it hits them in the face. West Harlem has had a huge influx of white people (Hamilton Heights area) and will soon be predominately white. All these new cafes are opening up on Broadway catering to white people. Harlem is over.
not Harlem is over, but owning is over unless u get a plan and move on it

Harlem aint going anywhere unless they rename it

Everything is subject to change bro

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City