Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, what is President Obama's race?
White 4 1.73%
Black 59 25.54%
Multiracial 142 61.47%
I don't believe in "race" 26 11.26%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:03 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You think that is fine?

How interesting you believe in race pandering.
Both Republicans and Demcorats have been doing it for decades.

Now what's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 09:18 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Both Republicans and Demcorats have been doing it for decades.

Now what's your point?
Because it is wrong???

Old 04-10-2011, 10:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
That may be true...however it is VERY obvious that Obama has a white mother....and so is half white.
My son has a white mother and thinks of himself as a black man with a white mother.

The question you should ask is "why that is?"

Moreover, the conservative obsession with Obama having a white mother is pretty damn suspicious. If Obama was a car thief instead of the president, his white mother would have no bearing. He'd be 5000% black....and calling him black would probably not be the word used.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Since Obama calls himself black, maybe he believes in the one-drop rule.
I think he does...for himself....which is a sharp distinction from applying that rule to everyone.

Again, my own son has a white mother but makes it VERY clear that he's a black man. He doesn't see it as a denial of his mothers roots and will freely acknowledge that he has a white mother that he loves very much. But for practical purposes (and some pride, i'm sure), he sees himself as a black man.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:25 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Race; census; Obama: Black and more so - latimes.com

The article quoted a political science professor who said that Obama identifies as black for political reasons. If he had called himself multiracial in Chicago, he never would have had a political career.
I think that poli sci professor said that to further his own political career.

I'm siding with blacks on this issue. Their reasoning; no matter what multi racial category they might fit into, they're received by the outside world as black. What has a black Briton, a Black Ethiopian, a Black Hutu, and a Black Georgian have to do with one another? Nothing, but our world generally speaking receives them if they were culturally identical. There's truth to their feelings based on a vague worldwide ignorance about black culture. Unfortunately when that gets used by ignorant people in 'the black community' feeding paranoia, they wind up generating racism parroting a white mans tumor.

I disagree that all other races/ ethnic groups harbor deep seated prejudices against them. However, I won't dispute the existence of racist attitudes out there surely as there are misogynist pigs, female chauvanists, xenophobic nutters, homophobes or racist blacks for that matter.

America will never run out of village idiots. And some of them are gay! Sooooo... does that make MLK less relevant than he was 50 yrs ago? I think not. He wasn't about a free lunch crowd. He was about meritocracy and freedom. An inspiration for all, not the few chosen children this nation meant to avoid but inadvertently recreated.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:27 AM

515 posts, read 368,570 times
Why ? Do the maths :
Blacks in America : 41 millions
Multiracial people : 9 millions

He wants the Black vote, obviously.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:49 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
My son has a white mother and thinks of himself as a black man with a white mother.

Moreover, the conservative obsession with Obama having a white mother is pretty damn suspicious. If Obama was a car thief instead of the president, his white mother would have no bearing. He'd be 5000% black....and calling him black would probably not be the word used.
Some of them believe he's a car thief. They call themselves tea party patriots. The consistent lack of constructive criticism is obvious enough to this white lady.

What if your son had a black mother and a white father? Is a boy's pride about paternal lineage only? Same outward appearance results, but people obsess over this nonsense? Indeed it is strange when matrilineal mtDNA has more say than all you menfolk bragging over what's in a name!

Old 04-11-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Facts is all...pesky things.

Same with Halle Berry...

And Tiger Woods.

A person can think themselves whatever they want,doesn't make it true.

Factually,a person with a Mongoloid father and a Caucasian mother is not either...

The lack of respect for Obama has nothing to do with color and everything to do with his ideology with me,some other people seem to care MORE for color when voting however....

Old 04-11-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
Why ? Do the maths :
Blacks in America : 41 millions
Multiracial people : 9 millions

He wants the Black vote, obviously.
Quite likely.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
I would like to say that this conversation was interesting but I would be lying. For the record, there are some blacks (excuse me) multiracial individuals that claim that they are indeed white. In theses cases they tend to be very light skinned people who ACTUALLY look white. Overall I have not met or know of ANY person who is of mixed race AND is darker then lets say a paper bag (older blacks would understand this) they consider themselves as being black.

I have to agree with a previous pollster, why is a person's blackness in question only when they are sucessful? This was bought up with Colin Powell when he got his 5th star, Halle Barry when recieved an Academy award, Tiger Woods(special case) when he started winning in golf and Now The president.

If a person of color says that they are black, then they are black! Apparently this what they identify themselves by....enough said!

To those of you that for some odd reason feel that he claimed to be black in order to get votes......DONT BE STUPID! Just how dumb do you think that he would look claiming to be white? It is quite obvious that he is a person of color so why does he have to say it? By the way he lost alot of votes just by his appearance, just not enough to lose the race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies