Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, what is President Obama's race?
White 4 1.73%
Black 59 25.54%
Multiracial 142 61.47%
I don't believe in "race" 26 11.26%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 06:09 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Race is more of a sociocultural category than a biological category. Seems as though you missed that part.

I'd suggest that you educate yourself by starting here:

RACE - The Power of an Illusion | PBS
No,race is more biological than anything else,contrary to how some may not want it to be so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Could you post some evidence to support this:
Things have gotten no better since this article was published:

Tourism Enriches an Island Resort, But Hilton Head Blacks Feel Left Out - NYTimes.com

Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,670 times
[quote=Lucario;18682317]You nailed it. Obama would just be another N-word. When Tiger Woods owned golf, he was Cablinasian. When his series of sleazy dalliances was revealed, he was just another black athlete again.[/QUOTE]

Funny as hell...but true!!! LOL

Old 04-11-2011, 06:41 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
Quote:
No,race is more biological than anything else,contrary to how some may not want it to be so...
Sorry, but it is a generally accepted scientific fact that race is more of a sociocultural concept than biological.

Quote:
The notion of race in humans is completely a social concept without any biological basis, according to a biologist at Washington University in St. Louis.

In the 50th year since the discovery of DNA, Washington University evolutionary and population biologist Alan Templeton says that there are not enough genetic differences between groups of people to say that there are sub-lineages (races) of humans.

There are not enough genetic differences between groups of people to say that there are sub-lineages (races) of humans, said Alan R. Templeton, Ph.D., professor of biology in Arts & Sciences at Washington University in St. Louis...

"I'm not saying there aren't genetic differences among human populations," he cautioned. "There are differences, but they don't define historical lineages that have persisted for a long time, which is one criterion for race in a scientific sense."
Evolutionary biologist: race in humans a social, not biological, concept | Newsroom | Washington University in St. Louis

Quote:
...the very concept of race is bogus and has no basis in biology, according to most scientists.

"This dialogue on race is driving me up the wall," said Jefferson Fish, a psychologist at St. John's University in New York who has written extensively about race in America. "Nobody is asking the question, 'What is race?' It is a biologically meaningless category. It is a cultural term that Americans use to describe what a person's ancestry is.
PAGE ONE -- No Biological Basis For Race, Scientists Say / Distinctions prove to be skin deep - SFGate

This is just for starters.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Facts is all...pesky things.

Same with Halle Berry...

And Tiger Woods.

A person can think themselves whatever they want,doesn't make it true.

Factually,a person with a Mongoloid father and a Caucasian mother is not either...

The lack of respect for Obama has nothing to do with color and everything to do with his ideology with me,some other people seem to care MORE for color when voting however....
Yea, but the "pesky fact" is that lots of interracial blacks...dare i say the overwhelming majority, consider themselves BLACK! And what is or isn't true has no bearing on this particular topic.

Besides, where is your skin in this game? You aren't black. Why should this mean anything to you personally what a person calls his or herself?

And i don't give a damn about what you feel about Obama and whether or not it has diddly squat to do with his race. That's not my issue, nor have i accused you of being racist against him. It doesn't matter to me why you dislike him. (shrugs shoulders)

And BTW....I don't doubt that "some other people" (of course you meant black people...as usual) care more about color when voting. So what? That's probably about the same percentage of people who voted AGAINST him BECAUSE of his color!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhenaton06 View Post
things have gotten no better since this article was published:

tourism enriches an island resort, but hilton head blacks feel left out - nytimes.com
lol....1994.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Besides, where is your skin in this game? You aren't black. Why should this mean anything to you personally what a person calls his or herself?
Free country,I can talk crap about the loser in the Witehouse even though part of him is black...
Quote:
And i don't give a damn about what you feel about Obama and whether or not it has diddly squat to do with his race. That's not my issue, nor have i accused you of being racist against him. It doesn't matter to me why you dislike him. (shrugs shoulders)
I actually don't care about him at all,he is basically an empty suit.

Quote:
And BTW....I don't doubt that "some other people" (of course you meant black people...as usual) care more about color when voting. So what? That's probably about the same percentage of people who voted AGAINST him BECAUSE of his color!
I doubt it,what was the % of blacks who voted for the half white candidate?

How many white voted for him?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,054 times
Quote:
Lucario;18682317]You nailed it. Obama would just be another N-word. When Tiger Woods owned golf, he was Cablinasian. When his series of sleazy dalliances was revealed, he was just another black athlete again.
ROTFL...HE CHEATED ON A WHITE WOMAN with other white women AT THAT. and she damn near beat his ass and didnt get charged with assault or anything

Old 04-11-2011, 10:19 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:
Free country,I can talk crap about the loser in the Witehouse even though part of him is black...

I actually don't care about him at all,he is basically an empty suit.

I doubt it,what was the % of blacks who voted for the half white candidate?

How many white voted for him?
Blacks have been voting strongly for Democrats since FDR & since LBJ Democratic Presidential candidates have gotten near or over 90% of the black vote, its nothing new...

Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,006,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
If he prefers the black side of his identity, it is his business.
I have a friend who is half Japanese, half black. She almost exclusively identifies with her Japanese side.
Probably only few mixed-race people like all their ethnic sides equally much. The more different those sides are, the more likely one is to favor one or the other.
But its not more different.

Obama was raised by his White side not his Black side. In theory he should identify himself as a White man trapped inside a Black mans body, but thats not the case here. He has even called himself a "mutt" on numerous occasions.

The biased Liberal media would love to brainwash the public into thinking he's all Black though.

Obama is not our first Black president as some people claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies