Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 11:18 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Yep, WH backed down... Or did they? It seems the Adult is still lives in the WH.

News from The Associated Press (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BIRTH_CONTROL_POLITICS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEM PLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-02-10-08-57-33 - broken link)
Adults, don't make me laugh here. The only thing they did, was caved in to the pressure around them, on this issue, which was starting to heat up.

Nothing to do with being an adult, this W.H. please! as usual with this W.H. lets apease them for now, and then!

And there is this thing coming up called an ELECTION, like this has nothing what so ever to do with that at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 11:18 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,941,820 times
The real problem, in my mind, is that we've accepted that the employer must provide some specific health insurance benefit at all. I think that's a lousy requirement. Why do I have to have that insurance from my employer at all? What if I'd prefer to negotiate a higher salary & pay for my own medical expenses? Why is my ability to control what I will accept as payment for my labor being taken away from me? Why have we, as Americans, allowed the system to become such that this is seen as normal?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I don't think he was wrong. If I work for a group ... I have to believe everything they do? ... I don't think so. Why should I not have a benefit, just because you have some A$$ backwards way of thinking that dates back to the Dark Ages?
You don't have to believe what they believe. You should be able to purchase whatever you want, not what that company decides you can purchase. But neither should that company be required to purchase anything for you. Including your health insurance.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Then why did the GOP favor the same mandate in 2001? But not when Obama does?

Moreover, we have been doing this for quite some time. Read: //www.city-data.com/forum/22923212-post4.html
The GOP didn't favor that in 2001, which is why it didn't pass. Two senators from Maine, who happen to be Republican by affiliation but are known to be liberal by action, supported the bill. Huge difference.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:26 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
So, you don't believe in religious freedom? Or just those religions you agree with?
Didn't say anything about my beliefs, just pointing out history.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
If someone set out to devise a system for health care access, they could not devise a dumber one than employer based coverage. Seriously, people are health insurance slaves. One's health care and possible life depends on where one works (or doesn't work). It is insane! The ONE thing I agreed with Bachmann on was that employer health insurance needs to go and everyone should manage their own coverage just like auto, life and home insurance.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:39 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,848,514 times
It isn't that Obama is declaring war on the Catholic church but that the Catholic church is declaring war on human rights and the right of free choice to women.
About time that the Catholic Church came into the 21st Century. Women have no rights in the Catholic Church and to be honest neither do the Priests. Let's get rid of the silliness now and openly allow Catholic women to take birth control instead of having 95% of Catholic women inventing painful periods and illnesses so that they can be given the pill without feeling guilty.
The President is trying to give women the means to stop unwanted pregnancy and the church is living in the past. Whatever the President does he is wrong in some eyes but Women will remember how he is thinking of their welfare when next November comes around.... No matter what they say to their church, husband or pollsters.......... they will vote for Obama as the testosterone fuelled right is NOT a friend to Women.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:42 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,099 times
Again, WTH does birth control have to do with health care?!?! Pay for it your damn self. This should NOT be covered by insurance

Old 02-10-2012, 11:45 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,892 times
I thought this was an interesting theory on the contraceptive issue. Of course the administration knew this issue would cause a firestorm. President Obama truly believes women have the right to control their own bodies. But choosing this battle now could benefit him in another way. It might fire up younger voters especially women. In the 2008 election, President Obama garnered support from 66% of younger voters. The President's approval rating with this group now is only 50%. There are few issues that get young women more incensed that the contraception issue.
Clip:
"They’ve got to get young people jazzed up, and there are very few issues that get young women more jazzed up than contraception.”

Did Obama Administration Pick a Fight on Birth Control Deliberately? - The Daily Beast

Old 02-10-2012, 11:46 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Again, WTH does birth control have to do with health care?!?! Pay for it your damn self. This should NOT be covered by insurance
Dong pills shouldn't be covered by insurance either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies