Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 01:29 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
When was the last time someone was (intentionally) murdered from half a click away?

Assault rifles killed, at MOST, 358 people in the US in 2010, out of a total of 12,996 total murders. I say at most, because that number includes ALL rifles, assault and non-assault, so the real number is some unknown subset of 358.

They are not a significant source of crime. Period.
Do we have a Beef? Any rifle has more stopping power than any hand gun period. of course i am discounting all .22 LR type guns, BB guns paint Ball guns and etc..

The .223 rnd from a rifle has far more stopping power than the .45 acp can ever hope to have.

I thought we were talking stopping power not murder stats...

I am no gun grabber either and can't even guess how you would have come to that idea if you have.

I carry one of (3) .45 ACP every day......... I know exactly how far i can make a hit at point blank aim, and that isn't any 75 yards either.

So what are we talking? Stopping power, or murder stats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 01:32 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Sorry, can you name even one case an assault rifle being used?

Assault rifles have been under heavy regulation ever since 1934. I would love to see the case.
I can name one...... But i can't name 2....

The one was that California Bank Robbery where 2 x cons made 2 Ak-47 clones full auto.... More than 16 trillion gun laws were broken to do that...

So far as i know there has been no other crimes in my memory where any assault rifles were used inside the USA since around 1926.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:34 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I tried very hard, but I can't think of any reason why a law abiding citizen would want to own an assault weapon. If your true motive for owning a gun is to protect yourself, why isn't a normal gun good enough? What's next, your own miniature nuclear bomb under the guise of "Second Amendment rights"? Where does it stop?
Yep just like this woman here engaging in a crime using her AR-15 in a very threatening manner. She probably fired 200 or 300 rds in a hour, just imagine the carnage at the end of her rifle barrel that must be there.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:12 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I carry one of (3) .45 ACP every day......... I know exactly how far i can make a hit at point blank aim, and that isn't any 75 yards either.
It would be a unique situation indeed to have a legit purpose to shoot someone at that distance.

Quote:
So what are we talking? Stopping power, or murder stats?
What I'm attempting to do is to educate and bring logic into a very sensitive topic. Everyone is prattling on about "assault weapons" when the statistics are clear. Even assuming every single death from a rifle was an "assault weapon" (and it wasn't), and assuming that removing them from circulation would have prevented all 358 murders, as opposed to merely forcing the perp to use a different weapon (and it wouldn't), you've still only eliminated enough murders to be within statistical randomness.

In other words, you've accomplished nothing but violating the civil rights of millions of Americans.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Yep just like this woman here engaging in a crime using her AR-15 in a very threatening manner. She probably fired 200 or 300 rds in a hour, just imagine the carnage at the end of her rifle barrel that must be there.

Take a very close look at that weapon. It is NOT a so-called "assault weapon".

Old 12-26-2012, 02:16 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Take a very close look at that weapon. It is NOT a so-called "assault weapon".

That doesn't stop the anti's from calling it one or wanting to ban it. But her photo proves it has uses by normal people.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
That doesn't stop the anti's from calling it one or wanting to ban it. But her photo proves it has uses by normal people.
True. But I point it out to illustrate how silly and nonsensical the definition of "assault weapon" is.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:51 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Well then, is it the Government against you ? Would you say its all Government, local, state, national ? If this form of Government you talk about is so evil, but necessary, I have to wonder what parts are " necessary" and why. You know there are places you can go, to feel safe, some are local, a safety in numbers.others are deep in the wood away from society. Would that be appealing to you ?
The other thing is always curious, its what do you intend to do about this evil Government ? Some ideas would be helpful for the rest of us that feel threatened, like You. Would you be willing to join others that feel the way you do rebel against this evil ? How far would you go, violence? or just peaceful protest ?
These are just a few questions that need to be answered. O' by the way we will need to have some way identifying you , and what area you live in. If there is enough interest I am sure there others that would join with you to change the current Government that was put in place by a strong majority.who ether like it and want to improve on it, or tear it all down and start over. Which group do you feel closest to ? Your honest answer will be very helpful in the days, years ahead.
And who appointed you the chief investigator of those who don't like the power of our government?

But I'll play your game.

Government is necessary to protect the rights of the people. Without government, we would have anarchy and we've seen how destructive that would be.

The evil of government is that it creates a controlling class who then abuse their power. One of those abuses is to grow government and increase it's power over the people. So that's what we have today; a ruling class that abuses it's power and has grown government into a bloated, costly and powerful organization. And that's true at all levels.

Peaceful protest and voting will never change this. But on the other hand, we Libertarians are not violent so we recognize that the necessary changes will never come about.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Thats all a bunch of crap ! What NBC did was to inform the public using a physical aid. ( Not intended for use, used as a prop) ( Public awareness).
So it's OK to break the law if you have good intentions?

Old 12-26-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Some would say we are already at that turning point, have been for years already.I like you am not so optimistic from what I see ether. Note; Just went to see the Movie Lincoln over Christmas. The political manoeuvrings, the corruption, etc, was very up to date, and that was 1865 ! ( I actually do not know how far or close the movie was to Doris Kern s Goodwin's book but you could see the same reflections as whats going on in DC today ).
You should read this book on Lincoln for a balanced view; "Lincoln Unmasked" by Thomas J DiLorenzo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies