Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the idea of whites becoming a Minority in America?
I don't want it to have a negative affect on America 5 8.62%
As long as the core principals of America is believe in we might be ok. 9 15.52%
Do you think it can be stopped? 7 12.07%
I think it will result in a less free, less prosperous nation 9 15.52%
I think it will result in a failing state like South Africa 8 13.79%
I think It will end in conflict 8 13.79%
I think it will end the American Culture as we have know it 14 24.14%
Other, explain 10 17.24%
Skin color does not matter culture and ideology does. 23 39.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 04:40 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,735,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would understand that many Republicans have a very disturbing attitude towards the poor. And I've met some Republicans similar to your father. The point I was trying to convey, the point that is being lost on many, is that alot of race issues boil down to a thirst for power and control over others.
It was my father-in-law (my first hubby's dad).

I agree that race issues boil down to a desire to have power over human beings. I recently began reading a book titled, Lies My Teacher Told Me, which is about how high school history textbooks in the U.S. are written in such a way so as to whitewash American history and leave it free of any details that might reflect badly upon this country. Inherent in the re-writing of American history in high school textbooks is the intent to gloss over all racial mass crimes. The true stories of our past (a couple of which are told by the author) are very different and so evidently the result of a desire to control, insult, loot, steal, torture and take lives. It's a terrifying book. Real American history is scary.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:40 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Most of the Hispanics coming here illegally are only partially white. They are mestizos mostly which means they are also indio. This has nothing to do with race however, it is an objection to a cultural and identity change to our country via illegal immigration which is neither natural nor lawful. Does one really think that Mexicans in Mexico would embrace an illegal invasion by the Chinese for example that changes their country from a Hispanic identity to an Asian one? Of course they wouldn't and rightly so!
Mexico aggressively enforces the integrity of their southern border with Guatemala.

Mexican and Guatemalan immigrants here in L.A. often don't get along.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
I can't point out actual history without settlers getting butthurt over FACTS? It's important to look at the historical context of things and the hypocrisy of illegal immigration in the US.

In this context it's directed against the US

As for Mexico unfortunately upon independence Mexico has internalized colonialism and propagated this Mestizo myth of all the Indian women getting raped by the Spaniards creating "la raza cosmica" but fact is Mexico seems to be mostly of Indio blood, Mestizo is not about being mixed race you can be fully Indio but be mestizo once you identify as such, which most Mexicans are, not identifying with their Indio heritage or not really knowing about it or outright rejecting it seeing Indios as inferior. Indios not only in Mexico but throughout Latin America are also getting screwed by a different type of colonialism but we're not talking about that, we're talking about the US.
Like I said: this is 2013 and it does NOT matter what happened 100's of years ago. The US is a country and has the right to decide who it will let in or NOT. Same for Mexico, Spain, India, Liberia and so on. Sheesh!

Old 02-28-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Hmmm... there are lots of expatriate (people who left their country to live abroad) American communities in Mexico. Lots of Americans who like living abroad, and lots of retirees. For example, here's one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/21/gr...anted=all&_r=0
I'm gonna guess those Americans living IN Mexico are legally there. If they're illegal aliens; it's up to Mexico to deport them back to the US.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:28 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,735,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'm gonna guess those Americans living IN Mexico are legally there. If they're illegal aliens; it's up to Mexico to deport them back to the US.
They're there as retiree residents, as tourists overextending their visas, as expatriate citizens (former Americans who are now Mexican citizens), you name it. And San Miguel de Allende is not the only Mexican city Americans are flocking to. And trust me on this, it's an awesome place. Artistic, lovely beyond anyone's imaginings... paradise.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:

I agree that race issues boil down to a desire to have power over human beings. I recently began reading a book titled, Lies My Teacher Told Me, which is about how high school history textbooks in the U.S. are written in such a way so as to whitewash American history and leave it free of any details that might reflect badly upon this country. Inherent in the re-writing of American history in high school textbooks is the intent to gloss over all racial mass crimes. The true stories of our past (a couple of which are told by the author) are very different and so evidently the result of a desire to control, insult, loot, steal, torture and take lives. It's a terrifying book. Real American history is scary.
So it was. Mexican history was scary. Irish history was scary. So on and so on. Tho IMHO some things in history are best left unsaid till a person is a bit older like college age so it doesn't flip them out.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:35 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
The US has reached a demographic tipping point, with most babies born now belonging to minority groups.
According to the US Census bureau, black, Hispanic, Asian and mixed-race births made up 50.4% of new arrivals in the year ending in July 2011.
The official notice foreshadows the day, expected in the 2040s, when non-Hispanic whites - like the group that founded America - will be in the minority.BBC News - What will a white-minority US look like?

So could it mean the Spanish speaking minority would assimilate and would much more commonly use English rather than Spanish? In addition would there soon be a Hispanic president?

Plus would the culture of the US be similiar today as in 50 years time?

PS: No racist comments here please.
Since most of these babies are being born to mexican and central americans I'd say larger and larger parts of this country will look like mexico. I'm already thinking of california as another mexican province.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:00 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Illegal immigration has been dropping over the past few years. I'm not saying that illegal immigration isn't going on. The question is what percentage of people who are coming here came illegally?
There are still at least 11 million here illegally and that is a large number. Not only that but hundreds of thousands are their anchor babies. Therefore an unnatural and unlawful change to the demographics of our country. Many of their anchors are of the child bearing age. Do the math.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:13 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Kidkaos, first of all, you don't know if I'm a liberal or a conservative. In fact, I've recently said that neither party is doing much good and politics has all become a game regarding getting numbers.
That's true. The thing I said about you being for multiculturalism being why you aren't concerned about immigration was an assumption. So that's my bad.

The thing about the standard liberal argument, however, does stand. I was making a comment more about the argument itself being overused by lots of people to apply to lots of situations than I was commenting about you personally of using it wrongly in this particular situation.

The fact is it isn't necessarily a bad argument and isn't necessarily wrong in any given situation. What's wrong is people using it as a go-to answer for anything and everything. Sort of a "it could apply, so I'll use it" thing.

Quote:
There are certain things I'm not for. I don't like abortion, I'm very pro-gun rights. In fact, if you have read some of my posts, you would know some of this. But of course, you jumped to alot of conclusions, which might lead me to believe that this isn't really about my political views.
I did jump to that multiculturalism conclusion, like I said. I admit that was a mistake. But all the rest of the stuff was a general attack on overuse of the "you're threatened by X and want to control it so you hate and fear it and make laws against it" thing. Wasn't about you in particular, and wasn't meant to claim that your use of that argument was wrong in this situation.

For example, I might say I think abortion is murder. Instead of addressing that, the person will say "you just want to control women and want to ban abortion as a way to keep women down". Well, no. I actually do think it's murder. It has nothing to do with wanting to keep women under my thumb. If it wasn't murder then I wouldn't care if women had abortions. I'm not using the idea of banning abortion to keep women under control.

Quote:
Now, I have a question for you. What does being a liberal have to do with "White minority"? What does that have to do with me not being afraid? I've even said I'm used to being outnumbered.
It has to do with one of the main "white minority" fears - that it will result in the loss of the general American culture. Nobody will remember what July 4 is. People won't know who George Washington was. People will see the constitution as just some words and not the founding document of the country. Stuff like that. It doesn't really have anything to do with white people being a minority. That's just a way to refer to it. It has to do with American history and values not being respected by the majority of the people living in America. Really it doesn't matter if the majority was composed of aborigines originally from New Guinea. If 10% were white and 90% were purple with green stripes that would be fine, as long as the purple ones considered themselves Americans.

What being a liberal has to do with that, is that multiculturalism is generally supported by liberals. And it is the doctrine of multiculturalism which leads to the problem I talked about. It encourages people not to assimilate.

When we get to a point, as happened in California in 2010, where a principal calls students into his office and tells them not to wear clothing which displays American flags on May 5 since Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday, then multiculturalism is starting to go too far. This isn't Mexico. You don't tell Americans not to wear an American flag in an American school just because it happens to be a holiday in some other country.

Quote:
And I was not talking about liberal vs conservative. I was talking about how some people thirst for power and control over others and would do dirty things to get that power. Rather that complain about my political views, why not try to read and understand what I'm trying to say.
I wasn't complaining about your political views. You just happened to use the argument that I wanted to make a general point about. Not about you or about how you in particular used it. The use of that argument against Jim Crow the way you did is actually a perfectly true argument. I have no disagreement with that at all.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:

This is a part of what I have been trying to get many people to understand. When I hear some people make very disturbing comments about minorities, when I hear about certain things, I know part of it can be traced to fear of losing control and power.

I've noticed that alot of things in the history books of our schools isn't the exact same as what I've read for myself outside of the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies