Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 12:44 PM

17,371 posts, read 14,618,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

But. . . the Olympics that the US boycotted were in 1980!
If you're saying that she must have qualified for the 1980s marathon event .....

Quote:

The 1980 Summer Games, held in Moscow, were boycotted by the United States in
response to Soviet military actions.

But those Games did not hold a women’s marathon event.

Read more: Zimmerman eyewitness may have fabricated Olympics story | The Daily Caller

Old 07-08-2013, 12:46 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
This woman testifying said that Martin's father said, no, it's not my son, as opposed to just "no," which is what Serino said. Hmmmm. Serino specifically said that the father said, "no," under his breath.

She's impeaching herself here. She didn't remember correctly what was said. She just said she was sure he was "telling us" that, no, that was not his son screaming.. Interesting that Serino didn't remember the response in that way. And this woman was NOT sitting beside the father when he made the response.
I caught that too.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:48 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,309,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
This is ludicrous. Because of one stupid comment by John Good, now they're trying to infer that Trayvon was a Mixed Martial Arts expert. LUDICROUS. They're talking about rounds....this wasn't an MMA match!
And the term "MMA" wasn't even said first by John Good. The person questioning him asked, "Do you mean in an MMA manner?" and John said, "Yes." Then after that John started using the term. This was brought out when they went back to his original statement.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:49 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,319 times
In the article "Is Black Manhood on Trial?" the author writes:

"That Zimmerman fumbled for an answer when the lead investigator asked whether he thought Trayvon was afraid of him is emblematic of the way society has trained us to think about black manhood. Of course he didn’t think Trayvon could be scared. Young black men never are. They are the danger.

Which is also why, for some, Zimmerman’s story, even with the cartoonish language he ascribes to Trayvon, doesn’t sound far-fetched. A black man jumping from behind the bushes to sucker-punch someone they don’t know and attempt to kill them only a short distance from their home. It makes perfect sense if you believe that black men are preternaturally violent."

"Zimmerman’s innocence rests on the notion of Trayvon’s criminality. And in this country, it’s not that difficult to convince six people of the criminality of a 17-year-old black boy."

Read more: Trayvon Martin and Black Manhood On Trial | The Nation Trayvon Martin and Black Manhood On Trial | The Nation
Follow us: @thenation on Twitter | TheNationMagazine on Facebook

Old 07-08-2013, 12:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
If you're saying that she must have qualified for the 1980s marathon event .....

Read more: Zimmerman eyewitness may have fabricated Olympics story | The Daily Caller
Don't have time to read it right now, though I will. I will point out, the operative words are "may have". They don't know either.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
And the term "MMA" wasn't even said first by John Good. The person questioning him asked, "Do you mean in an MMA manner?" and John said, "Yes." Then after that John started using the term. This was brought out when they went back to his original statement.
Right, in his original statement John Good simply said "ground and pound."

Old 07-08-2013, 12:51 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
She was in the room and has her view. Being she was not involved, other than listening, it frees up her thinking to focus on the words and not what she is needing to ask.

They both stated that Tracey said, "No".

You'll have to accept it.

It was damaging to the Prosecution.
Based on the good cross examination, I disagree that it was damaging to the prosecution. The point was made very clearly that Mr. Martin was hearing the tape for the first time, hearing the gunshot that killed his son, and that he was quite emotional. Of course, many people respond to being informed of the death of a loved one with the word "no"......and Serino also testified that that is true as a form of denial of the death. That is a jury of 6 women a number of whom are mothers and it would not be unrealistic to think that some of those women have experienced being informed of the death or a loved or, or at the very least can imagine how they would react to actually HEARING the gunshot which had killed one of their children.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:52 PM

226 posts, read 229,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
This is ludicrous. Because of one stupid comment by John Good, now they're trying to infer that Trayvon was a Mixed Martial Arts expert. LUDICROUS. They're talking about rounds....this wasn't an MMA match!
The witness/coach is explaining GZ's training in Grappling and even though he trained for under a year, Martin was still able to take advantage and pin Zimmerman because he was still inexperienced. You just don't become experienced in a years time. He gave Zimmerman a rating of 0.5 to a 1 when it came to skill.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:53 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,842,798 times
GZ's initial grappling ability: 0.5.

Ending ability: 1

Generally over all athleticism on a scale of 1 to 10?

Old 07-08-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Don't have time to read it right now, though I will. I will point out, the operative words are "may have". They don't know either.
I have read on runner's blogs, that Jane D. was a top runner in the 1980's but she did not qualify for the Olympics.

I think she said she was one the top 3 runners in the U.S. in the women's marathon which wasn't included in the Olympics until 1984. I think she was referring to 1980, and I think what she meant was that because it was cancelled she stopped training or something like that. It was misleading, but I don't think a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies