Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Spanking Your Kids Be.....
Illegal 12 9.84%
Leagal 110 90.16%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:54 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,609,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
Sorry I missled you Creme. I posed this question as an example. As a Juvenile Detective for over 15 years (now retired). I frequently recieved phone calls from parents with very similar situations.

I had a regular question I always asked them. And, I always got one of two responses.

#1 resonse: "Oh, I don't belive in hitting my kid.
#2 response: "If I hit my kid I'll go to jail.

My regular question: "When is the last time your kid picked him/her self up off the floor after talking to you like that?"
LOL. I guess we thought you were talking about your own kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 09:58 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Sorry I missled you Creme. I posed this question as an example. As a Juvenile Detective for over 15 years (now retired). I frequently recieved phone calls from parents with very similar situations.

I had a regular question I always asked them. And, I always got one of two responses.

#1 resonse: "Oh, I don't belive in hitting my kid.
#2 response: "If I hit my kid I'll go to jail.

My regular question: "When is the last time your kid picked him/her self up off the floor after talking to you like that?"
you sneaky bugger you.....

Old 12-14-2007, 10:14 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,760,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
wull fine, that is your perogative....lets loose the tude....ok? I"m sorry if I offended you....
I don't have a "tude".

Anyway, according to your words, you equated the responses to your poll to mean that most people spank their kids, or approve of that. But the poll was whether the government should interfere.

Quote:
I want to thank you for providing this, but I find it absolutely ridiculous...we're not talking about spankings here, we're talking about abuse...and any child is going to hit another child regardless if they are spanked or not.....
Why? The majority of parents who spank don't do it... what did you say, 3 or 4 times in a kids life. The do it 3-4 times a week. So it is a SERIOUS issue then, especially if you, the advocate for spanking thinks that this 3-4 times a week is abuse. I don't argue that it's abuse, but I do argue that it is unnecessary, and it can have unwanted consequences, consequences that don't have to be blatantly obvious, but that show up in 20 years from now in people's interpersonal relationships. The study does substantiate that opinion.

Quote:
this study is going way above and beyond spanking....
No since most parents who spank, do so 3-4x a week, according to the study.

Quote:
spanking is not violence...
Of course it is. The fact that it is done once in awhile doesn't make it less violent. It is just less frequent violence.

Quote:
and when you people understand that, perhaps you'll energize all this anger into something really constructive to help children....
This is constructive. It makes other people, maybe not you since you have formed your opinion, think about it a little bit.

You can skin it anyway you want, and explain it away. But when you raise your hand to a child for any purpose at all, and strike them with an open palm, or with a belt, where they can barely feel it, or whether it hurts, it is an act of aggression. Even if you are calm when you are doing it. It is an act of violence.

Quote:
Roseba, I really think it would be wise to end this....right here, and now...and lets just say for the record...you raise your kids your way, I'll raise mine my way, and lets keep the government out of it....OK?
Why are you asking me to keep the government out of it? That's attributing an opinion that I have not expressed.

Quote:
extending a hand shake....
Hand shake extended.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
As a parent, what do you do with a your teenager, (lets say 15 years old) who gets right in your face and tells you, "F you, *****. I don't have to do anything you tell me." ????
How would you handle it if a 30 year old did that to you? I'm not trying to be sarcastic here. But the way you handle that with an adult is probably the way you would handle it with someone who is 15.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I was hoping to get a response from a 'no spanking' advocate.
You hit a 15 year old, and you are risking them hitting your right back. Even if you believe in spanking, it is inappropriate to "spank" a person who is old enough to reproduce.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I am sorry to feel this way, but maybe he is like this b/c you don't believe in spanking...
Studies have proven that spanking makes kids MORE aggressive, not less so.

How do you explain all the J.D.s who were spanked as kids?

Quote:
I promise you, I"m not tainted but more so, am glad I learned at a young age that there are consequences for my actions, and some of them could be grave depending on how bad my actions were.
Yes, there are many consequences for a myriad of actions. Consequences don't have to be a spanking to be effective.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:29 AM

17 posts, read 39,295 times
Cool spanking should be legal....but to some extent

i was also spanked as a kid...i was never beaten nor was i spanked or hit with anything else...MY actions got me a swat on the butt...i agree that it should be legal. Spanking isn't bad if it is open handed...BUT!!!!....just because it could be legal DOES NOT MEAN it should be manipulated.

Kasey j DeMarrias

Old 12-14-2007, 10:30 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGirl101 View Post
i was also spanked as a kid...i was never beaten nor was i spanked or hit with anything else...MY actions got me a swat on the butt...i agree that it should be legal. Spanking isn't bad if it is open handed...BUT!!!!....just because it could be legal DOES NOT MEAN it should be manipulated.

Kasey j DeMarrias
thank you, thank you, thank you....at least you are mature enough to look at both sides..you get reps....
creme

Old 12-14-2007, 12:33 PM

488 posts, read 1,177,116 times
I'll go ahead and address your 15 year old hitting you back. I'm not talking about punching their lights out or beating them. I'm taking about a slap to the face to get their attention. If the kid decides to hit the parent back then ya thow them in the clink for a couple days to let them decide how much they enjoy their freedom.

To some folks this tactic may sound extreme and, no one single technique works in every situation but, I had pretty good success with this one.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:38 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,609,845 times
Quote:
you sneaky bugger you.....
LOL, yeah sneaky, but making a great point!!

Quote:
I'll go ahead and address your 15 year old hitting you back. I'm not talking about punching their lights out or beating them. I'm taking about a slap to the face to get their attention. If the kid decides to hit the parent back then ya thow them in the clink for a couple days to let them decide how much they enjoy their freedom.

To some folks this tactic may sound extreme and, no one single technique works in every situation but, I had pretty good success with this one.
This response really does not have anything to do with spanking, but the mind set between parents nowadays and parents from a few decades ago.

Scenario back then - I'm playing baseball and break Mrs. Smith's window, I'm scared I run and hide, Mrs. Smith saw me break the window. I don't fess up so she comes over and tells my mother what I did. Mom punishes me for lying, makes me save up my allowance to pay for Mrs. Smith's window or makes me do chores for Mrs. Smith until the window is paid for.

Scenario nowadays - I'm playing baseball and break Mrs. Smith's window, I'm scared I run and hide, Mrs. Smith saw me break the window. I don't fess up so she comes over and tells my mother what I did. Mom gets defensive with Mrs. Smith and says my kids wouldn't do that. Questions me, I say no I didn't do it. Then mom tells Mrs. Smith, my kid is not a liar, she didn't break your window. Angry words are exchanged and Mrs. Smith leaves and either ignores the situation or calls the police.

I think you know where I'm going with this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies