Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 02:03 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,265 times

Advertisements

When in fact a person goes to an extreme extend to hide something there is always something to hide. Just what is it that Trump is hiding?

Where there's smoke there's fire, and in Trump's case there must be a blazing inferno in his tax returns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 02:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Yes it is, go look in a mirror, after all those clamoring here to release the taxes would be the same one's opposing the release of taxes if it was Obama's. And i am no Trump fan, i just loath hypocrites.
Obama released 16 years of tax returns so we don't have to ask for them.

Except for Trump, "every other major party nominee" for the past 40 years has released their tax returns. The only other exception is Gerald Ford.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:08 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I'm sure you would say the exact same thing if Obama refused to release his tax returns when he took office.

Yeah, seriously. I seem to remember these people demanding Obama produce a birth certificate. No other President had ever been asked to do that. I wonder why...

Old 04-14-2019, 02:09 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
When in fact a person goes to an extreme extend to hide something there is always something to hide. Just what is it that Trump is hiding?

Where there's smoke there's fire, and in Trump's case there must be a blazing inferno in his tax returns.
Yep. Trump's got something to hide alright. And it must be a pretty big deal the way he's so desperate to keep it hidden. And I want to know what it is. I suspect it's a little more serious than claiming deductions for his underwear.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:10 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
The 4th amendment only mentions searches and seizures. Nothing about transferring data from one part of the government to another.
One government branch seeking to compel another government branch to turn over an individual's tax returns is indeed a seizure. Just like the executive branch seeking to compel Speaker Pelosi to turn over notes relating to her duties would be a seizure. Based on your rational, however, Pelosi should automatically be compelled to turn the goods over under such a scenario because the documents are already in the hands of one government branch, due process be damned. That's not how things work. And note this doesn't even get into the separate issue of separation of powers.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:12 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Mnuchin concerns they will be weaponized Ala Nixon....is all you really need to know.
Nixon owed $$$ after viewed .
Trump knows he owes.
Get real. The tax returns of billionaires are always given extra scrutiny by the feds. If there was anything amiss in them as a legal matter he would have been locked up a long time ago.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:24 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Laws are made in response to events that happen that point out a need for new laws. The fact that the president of the United States has had questionable financial dealings with hostile foreign entities is what is prompting this proposed change in the law. And it will apply to every candidate going forward, not just Trump.

I, for one, want to know if my president is up to no good with hostile states around the globe. I'm astounded that you don't.
Tax returns are not going to report criminal activities. Trump, or at least his lawyers and accountants, ain’t that stupid. They certainly must contain stuff he thinks is more politically damaging than not releasing his returns. That does not justify forcing those returns to be released to the public which you know is what the Democrats plan to do with it. Or at least politically damaging parts of it.

If I was running for office I’d donate to the “help old people, babies and puppies “ charity more often. A businessman, unlike a career politician, is not going to have politically correct tax returns.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:28 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,697,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Congress demanding Trump's tax returns seems a gross violation of the Fourth Amendment. What justification is there to demand Trump's returns?

Sounds like you, and Trump, are afraid to see what is in those returns. Someone innocent would have no qualms about showing theirs. If Trump shows his, I will show mine.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:31 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
This is all pretty silly, really. I mean if Law enforcement were to confiscate DFT's returns, then, perhaps they would be violating the 4th A, but no one is taking them. They are asking him to do what he already promised, long ago, that he would happily hand over should he be nominated by the GOP for the job.

He changed his mind it is a private document. The government has no right to release your medical records even if you are collecting Medicare. Once again, the fourth along with the first, third, fifth and ninth, have been ruled to have created zones of privacy. Roe v Wade is the most controversial case where the fourth is cited in this manner. Government can’t do whatever they please with the information you are coerced into giving them.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:32 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,782,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
They certainly must contain stuff he thinks is more politically damaging than not releasing his returns.
Merely that he is wealthy and others are not. Seems to be a lot of envy and I suspect the Dems will play on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies