Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2021, 02:24 PM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
We should have gone into Afghanistan, destroyed the Taliban as a government, and after we chased them into their caves, we should have left, and gave the world the warning that this is what we do to you if you harbor terrorists who kill Americans.

But nooooooo, GW Bush and yes even Joe Biden, wanted to nation build. As if we could introduce the US form of a representative government, with individual Rights and freedoms from a Christian God, to Islamists, and this would transform them into contributing members of the world nations.
Thinking we can invade a country the size of Afghanistan with no central government is just bluster. Afghanistan is over 4 times the size of South Vietnam, we had 100,000 troops at the peak and were barely hanging on, we were not going to send in 500,000 like we did in Vietnam and it would take a lot more. Tell me, would you or your family go off to war in Afghanistan, would you be willing to sacrifice your life to defeat the Taliban.

The Taliban have no interest in attacking us were always going to be part of the government when we left.

We never seem to learn our lesson or pay attention to history.

Last edited by Goodnight; 09-13-2021 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 02:35 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I about fell out of my chair when I heard him say it was a success. This was NOT a success, it was worse than a hot mess express.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:24 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
https://victorhanson.com/angry-reade..._vYeNBYa0CJQNU

I alone don’t consider the evacuation a disaster; 65 percent of the American people do as well, almost all of our NATO allies agree it was a catastrophe, and lots of Democrats agree.

Leaving Afghanistan and leaving in shame, defeat, and chaos are two different things. Most Americans agreed with the idea of the former but not the latter. Even the Russians left with less chaos than did we. No American had died in Afghanistan in 18 months. There was a way to stage a graduated and careful withdrawal that might have left the Afghan government in control with measured air support; but if that vestigial support was considered too costly, then even a complete withdrawal was possible without the mess we left behind. Biden, in contrast, had an agenda of announcing on 9/11 that he was the first president to yank out all troops. He did that, and in the process wrecked NATO for the near future, ensured a Taliban terrorist haven and arms mart, ruined US deterrence for the near future, guaranteed violence and death for anyone left behind in Afghanistan that was Westernized, and has encouraged our enemies to take risks that they otherwise would not have.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:32 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
It was completely arse backwards.

Waited to the very last minute where you are lucky to get out alive with just the clothes on your back,
Pulled the military out before getting out the civilians and equipment first. Relied on the Taliban to provide security. Handed out a list to the Taliban (knowing full well that ISIS infiltrated the Taliban) of those who worked with American forces, who could enter the airport for evacuation.

This administration works like my co-workers do. Facebook to the very last second until they are now already late to get their work done and then scurry to try and accomplish something without making any mistakes. That's what the current administration did. And in this case, some of what the current administration was doing was rushing to push vaccinations onto everyone by pressuring the FDA to approve the vaccines as soon as possible so they could then mandate.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:31 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Thinking we can invade a country the size of Afghanistan with no central government is just bluster. Afghanistan is over 4 times the size of South Vietnam, we had 100,000 troops at the peak and were barely hanging on, we were not going to send in 500,000 like we did in Vietnam and it would take a lot more. Tell me, would you or your family go off to war in Afghanistan, would you be willing to sacrifice your life to defeat the Taliban.

The Taliban have no interest in attacking us were always going to be part of the government when we left.

We never seem to learn our lesson or pay attention to history.
So a terrorist group who harbored the group responsible for a direct attack on our nation has no interest in attacking us? That's why they are flying their flag over our embassy now? As a sign of peace, and not a sign that they "won"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
It was completely arse backwards.

Waited to the very last minute where you are lucky to get out alive with just the clothes on your back,
Pulled the military out before getting out the civilians and equipment first. Relied on the Taliban to provide security. Handed out a list to the Taliban (knowing full well that ISIS infiltrated the Taliban) of those who worked with American forces, who could enter the airport for evacuation.

This administration works like my co-workers do. Facebook to the very last second until they are now already late to get their work done and then scurry to try and accomplish something without making any mistakes. That's what the current administration did.
In a nutshell.

I wish that I could say I'm in disbelief that we have Americans who think any differently..... but I guess that's one of the side effects of freedom. People can be free to be as ignorant as they want as long as there are enough of us around who are willing to fight in the background to allow them that freedom.

When the fight doesn't happen here, people tend to forget what it takes to stay free. Soldier's families and the families of the 9/11 victims haven't forgotten. You can bet on that.

Having an opinion in some countries gets you beheaded. Here, you get a front page on (insert your MSM outlet here) with a pat on the back. It's a shame that so many take it for granted and think that the best thing for our country to do is to tuck tail and run away in hopes that the bully on the playground will soon forget we exist.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:42 PM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
So a terrorist group who harbored the group responsible for a direct attack on our nation has no interest in attacking us? That's why they are flying their flag over our embassy now? As a sign of peace, and not a sign that they "won"?
Like I said, the Taliban never had an interest on attacking us but Osama did live there for a period, not hard to do with a country that size. The terrorists attack originated in Germany, Saudi Arabia, it could have been anywhere and Osama was in Pakistan, should we invaded the because they are a hotbed for terrorists.

I don't like the results of our departure either, it's painful to watch but it was inevitable, we are not all powerful and it's not worth wasting American lives on these fruitless incompetent ventures into foreign countries.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:44 PM

46,311 posts, read 27,124,387 times
For those that know and even those that don't, checkout the 5 word Identifiers for checkpoints going into Reagan International.
Attached Thumbnails
Biden’s Afghanistan withdrawal having devastating impact-5.jpg  

Old 09-13-2021, 06:09 PM

1,265 posts, read 445,586 times
Did these idiots in charge of this once great country just send the taliban you know the ones who won’t release Americans 64 million in aid. Just when you think they can’t do anything more stupid.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:29 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Anyone who wants to know why Afghanistan went *****-up so quickly should watch the Netflix 9/11 series. Explains it all.

Basically we lost in 2003 when we turned attention to Iraq. There were a couple chances to turn it around after that but the corruption of the Afghan government + unpopularity of our occupation and operations like drone strikes foreclosed on that oppurtunity.

We possibly could have turned things around between 2009-13 but we lost the propaganda war to the Taliban, BAD, and the Karzai-Ghani government was corrupt as all hell. Since about 2013 we have been in a slow motion ugly exit. Nothing has been going well there for years. The American public just wasn't paying bevause the news has been "Covid, Covid, Covid!" for 18 months now. I admit I was not even aware of Trump's February 2020 deal with the Taliban until last month.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:33 PM

8,154 posts, read 3,682,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Anyone who wants to know why Afghanistan went *****-up so quickly should watch the Netflix 9/11 series. Explains it all.

Basically we lost in 2003 when we turned attention to Iraq. There were a couple chances to turn it around after that but the corruption of the Afghan government + unpopularity of our occupation and operations like drone strikes foreclosed on that oppurtunity.
Well, the invasion of Iraq, was one of the most idiotic foreign policy decisions in the history of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies