Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2021, 06:26 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They were attempting to mold Afghanistan into our image of democracy. We went in to find Osama and 20 years later no one has a rational response to or mission.

I served in Vietnam, I'm quite familiar with misguided leadership and when you say "we" I know that only applies to a select group of national guardsmen serving 2 or 3 tours because we didn't have enough military. People that have no skin in the game use the term much to often.

Hopefully we learned our lesson this time around.
First off, thank you for your service. But I don't believe this is the exact same situation as Vietnam but I can see why you would think that it is. Botched leadership looks like botched leadership even if the intent was not the same.

I can say from experience (I have more skin in the game than you realize) that the goal was not to mold Afghanistan into our image of democracy. The goal was to stop terrorists from controlling a country, where people actually live in fear of death for something as simple as stealing a piece of food so that they can eat that day. The secondary goal was to get the Afghan people on their feet so that they could run their own country. They are so beaten down that it obviously didn't work. We play by certain rules that the Taliban do not recognize.

What if we needed to go in against North Korea? While their tyranny is much more organized, those people fear for their lives daily and live in extreme poverty while their dictator lives the lap of luxury. If the time ever came where they posed a threat to us, would you oppose going in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 07:15 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
First off, thank you for your service. But I don't believe this is the exact same situation as Vietnam but I can see why you would think that it is. Botched leadership looks like botched leadership even if the intent was not the same.

I can say from experience (I have more skin in the game than you realize) that the goal was not to mold Afghanistan into our image of democracy. The goal was to stop terrorists from controlling a country, where people actually live in fear of death for something as simple as stealing a piece of food so that they can eat that day. The secondary goal was to get the Afghan people on their feet so that they could run their own country. They are so beaten down that it obviously didn't work. We play by certain rules that the Taliban do not recognize.

What if we needed to go in against North Korea? While their tyranny is much more organized, those people fear for their lives daily and live in extreme poverty while their dictator lives the lap of luxury. If the time ever came where they posed a threat to us, would you oppose going in?
Yes. Because you don't destroy the village to save it.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:51 AM

43 posts, read 24,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Yes. Because you don't destroy the village to save it.

Maybe one day the human race will be intellectually advanced enough to properly comprehend those 10 words of wisdom you wrote. That'll probably take another 20 or 30 thousand years though.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:40 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Ask the Russians who armed the Taliban with weaponry to take down their Soviet combat helicopters and change the course of the war.

Breaking news, WE did.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cyclone

That ain't breaking news, champ. They even made a Rambo movie about it for Christ's sake....

Russians - lost

Brits - lost

Sikhs - lost

Persians - lost

Mughals - lost

Timurids - lost

Mongols/Genghis Kahn - lost

Rashiduns - lost

Alexander the Great - lost

This was a doomed effort from the start if the mission was ever to be anything more than killing some selected terrorists - and it was more than that.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:36 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
That ain't breaking news, champ. They even made a Rambo movie about it for Christ's sake....

Russians - lost

Brits - lost

Sikhs - lost

Persians - lost

Mughals - lost

Timurids - lost

Mongols/Genghis Kahn - lost

Rashiduns - lost

Alexander the Great - lost

This was a doomed effort from the start if the mission was ever to be anything more than killing some selected terrorists - and it was more than that.

This is what you call misdirection. Its all about suggesting that what happened wasn't a train wreck because the people in charge are idiots.

"hey even Genghis Khan lost!"

Nope. Leaving Afghanistan wasnt the issue. The issue IS that Dementia Joe and General Chinaman put a plan in place that killed Americans, left Americans behind and handed American Military Tech to the freaking Chinese Communist party.

good grief. You can still be a leftist and realize that Biden is an idiot.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:37 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Which liberals said this wasn’t the worst evacuation of all time?

The Pentagon just confirmed we killed 10 civilians and 0 terrorists in our drone strike.

Biden truly is an idiot. There’s zero chance Trump would’ve created such a disaster on this scale.

13 fallen troops
10 civilians killed, many of which were kids
0 terrorists killed

Old 09-17-2021, 01:40 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

Nice spin job there. Try harder to address the actual point next time.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:44 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Which liberals said this wasn’t the worst evacuation of all time?

The Pentagon just confirmed we killed 10 civilians and 0 terrorists in our drone strike.

Biden truly is an idiot. There’s zero chance Trump would’ve created such a disaster on this scale.

13 fallen troops
10 civilians killed, many of which were kids
0 terrorists killed
I recall how glowing Biden was to announce right after the strike was carried out that we did a drone strike that took out a big bad terrorist who was in the process of doing another terrorist attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2vsJOj8gVc

What I don't get is how Biden & Co could successfully identify and attack a terrorist target without boots on the ground providing the support necessary to do such an operation? The CIA and most of the Special Forces were out of there at the time this drone attack commenced.

Last edited by FC76-81; 09-17-2021 at 01:57 PM..

Old 09-17-2021, 03:24 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,666,638 times
It's amazing how gullible the average American can be. Saudi Arabian citizens destroyed the towers, and our leader holds hands with the king. We attack Afghanistan because they had a training camp there. Easy victory with hundreds of millions in payoffs to the warlords and a few thousand CIA. Next, we start another war with Iraq, the enemy of Iran that war destabilized the entire region and that we have to live with for many years to come.

The fix was in Feb 2020 with the Taliban. The United States agreed to withdraw, we pay them billions, they don’t shoot Americans. That is how only a few thousand American troops could keep the so-called peace. We pull out, and the American-trained Afghan military surrenders their equipment to the Taliban. We thought it would take about two months, not two weeks.
Be happy we are finally out of that quagmire.

Old 09-17-2021, 03:36 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
What I don't get is how Biden & Co could successfully identify and attack a terrorist target without boots on the ground providing the support necessary to do such an operation? The CIA and most of the Special Forces were out of there at the time this drone attack commenced.
Fairly continuous drone surveillance. There's enough drone surveillance going on that imagery analysts can get to know a suspected terrorist's entire family before getting a "strike" order.

In this case, they watched a particular "person of interest" loading packages into a vehicle that they estimated to be explosives by the apparent weight (measuring the deflection of the shock absorbers and other means). It turns out the packages were water, not explosives.

Certainly mistakes can be made, but don't think they can't be made by an on-the-ground strike team as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies