Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2021, 09:20 AM

1,150 posts, read 615,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Unless all children wear n95 mask they won't be protected.
They will be more protected than wearing nothing.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:25 AM

2,019 posts, read 868,097 times
Yes, something is better than nothing. A cotton mask maybe 10 percent? Ventilation in schools would also help.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedRedneck View Post
That as well. My children my choice. I don't expect school to stay open past September. My kids will love it, me not so much. The day they mandate masks is the day my kids become home schooled. I doubt we have to worry about that here though. Too much common sense here for that kind of idiocy.
I guess it all depends on the number of cases at the school. At some point, if those numbers get too high, they will be forced to either mandate masks, or shut down school and have the kids go virtual. I prefer the minor inconvenience of a child wearing a mask, over parents not being able to go into their office/work, due to virtual learning.

Last edited by Atlanta-Native; 08-27-2021 at 09:52 AM..

Old 08-27-2021, 09:49 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Quote:
Because 99% of the pro vaxxers are mini dictators and want it literally FORCED on everyone. ...
I have never yet seen that.

But I do see that you want to believe it.
No one cares. I see what I see, I read what I read. No one cares if you believe it or not. Back to your echo chamber.
You accuse ME of being in an echo chamber, yet it is YOU who is making an unsubstantiated claim "you read" somewhere.

Spare us the drama about "mini dictators" and all of that nonsense.

Your opinion and a few bucks will get you a nice cup of coffee.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:59 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Unless all children wear n95 mask they won't be protected.

It's not a binary. All children and staff wearing mask is a layer of protection - one of many.

Think of it like driving a car. People wear their seatbelts, turn on their light, stay within the speed limit, avoid texting or holding their phone, avoid driving while impaired, and pull over every few hours for a break. Some of those things are legal requirements, others are just good sense. And yet you can do everything right and still be in a horrific car accident, but no one would argue that each of these measures adds another level of mitigation.

The same is true of COVID policies. We know a lot more now than we did a year ago, but are still figuring things out with the increased transmission issues with the delta variant. We know that both vaccines and masks are less effective at completely preventing delta as they would have been with initial covid waves, but we also know that masks reduce (but not eliminate) both spread and viral "dose", and that vaccines prevent the vast majority of hospitalizations and almost all deaths. You can do everything right with covid and still get it, or do everything wrong and never get it - we all have anecdotes on both sides. But as an aggregate, what matters is on a population level to keep our healthcare system going. Right now, the heathcare system is failing in places like Texas and Florida where surgeries are being cancelled and chemotherapy postponed due to lack of staff or space.

With regard to schools, Texas started almost a month ago and one of my best friend's children has been out on quarantine almost the entire time. She had an exposure on the first day of class - 2 weeks out. She came back to class, and surprise! Two more positive students in her class that she has close connections to. Two of her teachers are currently out with active covid now. This is pretty extreme, but teacher friends in my homestate of Georgia are also reporting that teachers are going down with covid and whole classes are quarantining. Masks are not required in either state in schools, but I suppose that is a moot point if you're constantly being booted out of the classroom due to quarantines or sick teachers.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:15 AM

2,019 posts, read 868,097 times
There are no absolutes, but cotton mask are a waste of time and give a false sense of security. If a n95 is worn correctly it will give you 95 percent protection against air borne pathogens, but you can't get a child to properly wear a mask. Trying to keep a mask on a child is the equivalent of trying to herd cats.

Old 08-27-2021, 11:27 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
When I worked for Abbott Vascular, we had to dawn a new (N95) mask after every break and a new gown and booties.
No one suffered any respiratory damage as a result to my knowledge. The same mask was not worn all day.
After wearing a mask for several hours it loads up with the humidity your exhaling, the ability to filter goes away and you end up rebreathing that humidity as well. The mask can only absorb so much.
ANYTHING that is not an N95 mask is not going to be an equivalent substitute.
Some of these masks people wear look like they were fashioned for a dog, not a human, which means that it is like blowing into a balloon and rebreathing the same carbon dioxide. The closer to the face the N95 fits the better, if it is going to work at all.
Now I realize that it becomes expensive to replace the mask every few hours however if you put it in the sun between uses and trade off during the day the sun will both dry it out and kill any germs present. I put mine in the dash of the car while driving from place to place.

Old 08-27-2021, 01:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
I guess it all depends on the number of cases at the school. At some point, if those numbers get too high, they will be forced to either mandate masks, or shut down school and have the kids go virtual. I prefer the minor inconvenience of a child wearing a mask, over parents not being able to go into their office/work, due to virtual learning.
Yeah. The problem is states like Texas, Florida and Arizona that is blocking this self-determination by the districts who are on the ground and better know the pulse of the area in regards to the virus.

Old 08-27-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah. The problem is states like Texas, Florida and Arizona that is blocking this self-determination by the districts who are on the ground and better know the pulse of the area in regards to the virus.
I think that's asinine.

Old 08-27-2021, 01:30 PM

1,952 posts, read 829,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
I think that's asinine.

Well...in Texas, people are still free to wear masks to school. The governor is just not going to issue mask mandates.

Wear it all you want or don't wear it. You know...freedom. Everyone seems to forget what freedom was like. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies