Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 11:30 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeliber View Post
I fixed it up a tad
Just meditate on it and digest it in bits
It's grounded in fact and study, life experience
You'll see that the universe is an illusion, something for you to digest however you choose
if you make positive realistic conclusions and feed your subconscious that, you'll be satisfied no matter what
even harsh words and catastrophic injuries can elicit an "oh well, what can you do?" and you go on your merry way
This sounds like 60's drug nonsense. The universe is not an illusion. Existence exists. Reality exists. The ONLY way to understand reality is through Reason and Logic. Your subconscious is not a tool of cognition, your conscious mind is the ONLY tool you need to live well and die well.

Stop preaching this nonsense. This poor soul needs direction, not a drug-induced mystical stupor or a self-help lecture from hyper-emotional mystics.

Besides, why would you advise him to concentrate on the subconscious, when the conscious offers all the power anyone needs. Since the conscious mind thinks, reasons, plans and executes.

So much silliness from people selling tapes and dvds these days, promising that you don't need effort, focus, and hard work, just love or self-congratulation or some new inane ritual. EFFORT. FOCUS. DECISION. ACTION. EXECUTION. DIFFICULT. THat's what our OP needs, not prayer, not love, and not subliminal effluent injected into his REM sleep.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 11-28-2015 at 11:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 11:32 PM

215 posts, read 185,547 times
^
LOL
The subconscious can reason also
It also takes the brunt of your self-punishments

Old 11-28-2015, 11:34 PM

Have you ever punished yourself, told yourself hurtful things? Why? Did you know the subconscious internalizes that? Did you know you can ask the subconscious for forgiveness, and it will

The subconscious is just a child yet it is the most abused and neglected part of one's mind ..
.. if you choose to abuse and neglect yourself, internalize peoples' hurtful words which didn't even matter if they were spoken or not (validating what exactly? a simpleton's utterance? Like anything a person says matters In The Grand Scheme of Things)

Old 11-28-2015, 11:41 PM

710 posts, read 584,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
There is no surgery that turns an ugly person to a good looking person. It just doesn't exist. You are smoking some seriously bad drugs if you think otherwise. And your insecurity, which is your real problem, will stay exactly where it is no matter what you look like. Insecurity and inadequacy are only addressed by achieving concrete and rational goals.

Paying money to let some plastic surgeon slice and dice and nip and tuck at your epithelial cells is the height of stupidity. It won't work, you won't look much different than you do now, and your nagging insecurities won't be touched because buying skin and fat rearrangement does nothing to make you a better human being.
Some people who have gotten surgery before we're happy with the results. I'm not sold on it, it's something to consider though. In fact, it will likely never happen because I don't have the money to spend on surgeries, especially expensive ones like plastic surgery. Anyway, I have achieved small things in life so far, but I don't see how those things are supposed to help me feel better about how I look, which is the problem. I also know that I have positive traits as well, but it's how I look that makes me self-conscious.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:44 PM

It's true Marc though that once you're hunky-dory with things (in the subconscious which then become real) you might become a less-effective 'go-getter' type
It's a difference in style and outlook
It's still material maybe worth visiting if you reach a stage in your life where you say, "Y'know, f*** it!" and want to relax a bit, not be so hard on yourself, etc.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:48 PM

710 posts, read 584,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeliber View Post
Have you ever punished yourself, told yourself hurtful things? Why? Did you know the subconscious internalizes that? Did you know you can ask the subconscious for forgiveness, and it will

The subconscious is just a child yet it is the most abused and neglected part of one's mind ..
.. if you choose to abuse and neglect yourself, internalize peoples' hurtful words which didn't even matter if they were spoken or not (validating what exactly? a simpleton's utterance? Like anything a person says matters In The Grand Scheme of Things)
I have told myself hurtful things before. How exactly do you ask your subconscious for forgiveness? The thing about the words though is that I was told the same thing for many years - that I'm ugly. I don't know a lot about mental health, but I'm pretty sure that if a person gets insulted and told negative things pretty much on a regular basis, it takes a negative toll on a person. It's not that easy to just dismiss it because it seems to be true. No one has ever told me that I was attractive before. In fact, if I was told all my life that I was handsome, I'd probably believe that.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:49 PM

I'd like to see him come back here in a year or two and let us know the positive changes in his life, what worked and what didn't work, etc.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:07 AM

"I have told myself hurtful things before. How exactly do you ask your subconscious for forgiveness?"

Requires hypnosis
It requires you to be in a relaxed state, relaxed muscles, zero interference, wearing headphones, allowing suggestions that you find agreeable and rule-changing for the better, your values change for the better, and you welcome other people to be themselves even if they're unpleasant and you continue to be you (but the best possible version of you)

Otherwise..
When you are in an unrelaxed, conscious/awakened mind state, it's like an animal in survival mode filtering information into the subconscious from the real world, with special preference for harsh realities, information that it can store and dwell on when you're asleep. It's important that harshness and hurtfulness have no place in your reality so you can go to bed saying to yourself either good things or nothing at all

"The thing about the words though is that I was told the same thing for many years - that I'm ugly. I don't know a lot about mental health, but I'm pretty sure that if a person gets insulted and told negative things pretty much on a regular basis, it takes a negative toll on a person."

Yes, and you are not wrong for feeling the way you do. It is a choice however to feel that way. Hypnosis can show you that there's a better choice and I like the way Bob Griswold set me straight when I listened to his self-help tapes, while in a hypnosis state I put myself in, after reviewing it in a conscious state beforehand to verify its contents

In the hypnosis state you can be either asleep or awake. The key to my personal success which led me to a fully-paid for scholarship for Nuclear Engineering and a girlfriend I thought I'd never get, was that I listened to the tapes every day for months and months and months until the positivity was cemented permanently into my subconscious

"It's not that easy to just dismiss it because it seems to be true."

It's so freaking easy you have no idea
I'm about ready to send it to you, since I burned it all to MP3

"No one has ever told me that I was attractive before. In fact, if I was told all my life that I was handsome, I'd probably believe that."

Yea well guess what handsome: you're attractive, ha ha
Why not
?

Old 11-29-2015, 04:47 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Are you fishing for compliments?

At 18 you are far from mature physically. You're still developing into the awesome person you were meant to be.

I totally get the fragile male ego. You need to understand that the crap that was said to you was said in meanness. It's not you. I'm dealing with an amazing man who has been stomped on by a couple of previous bad-choice marriages. I don't know if he'll ever recover his self-esteem completely.

Ladies, do the world a favor and be nice. And bullies, you should just sit in your idling car in a closed garage.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:42 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
somewhere along the lines of maturity ,,,you jump off the road of "negative sums of your past" and jump on the path of "this is who I want to become"

picture it, feel it, live it, become it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology