Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:41 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,241,461 times

Advertisements

I guess my concern is that this is just another dealbreaker, and I'm getting so many, that I'm probably eliminating lots of women. Stuff like ever having had sex in exchange for anything of value (be it money, rent, whatever) is an absolutely dealbreaker for me. Women knowingly having sex with married guys, is a dealbreaker for me..

Old 06-14-2010, 01:43 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Because there's more drama if she bangs guys who are not available.

Why anyone would get married and expect a committed, life long relationship today has to be delusional or insane given the divorce rates, the infidelity rates.

So why are people getting married?
I guess you don't come across as forbidden fruit. Maybe you'll get more woman, if you wear a wedding band. I'm kidding. I'd never make a mockery of marriage.

I think some people jump into marriage without discussing expectations. Instead of dealing with marital issues, they choose to cheat on their spouse.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I guess you don't come across as forbidden fruit. Maybe you'll get more woman, if you wear a wedding band. I'm kidding. I'd never make a mockery of marriage.

I think some people jump into marriage without discussing expectations. Instead of dealing with marital issues, they choose to cheat on their spouse.
But it's not even hidden that the divorce rate is incredibly high, yet they still are getting married, knowing the consequences. Something still isn't adding up.

You cannot logically think "oh, there's a 51% divorce rate, but it won't happen to me" when the odds are MORE likely than not than you will get divorced due to just the statistics...

Old 06-14-2010, 02:09 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
yeah, but why are these guys so popular with women? There's all these single guys out there, yet she only can manage to find married guys?

Hi betamanlet,

One reason is attractive people are just more attractive to everyone.

The other is more interesting. Have you never heard of pre-selection? This has been confirmed in studies from birds to humans. Females use other females as proxies to judge mate worthiness. The collective judgment of many females does seem to play a role even all other things being equal.

Though its intresting your perspective since the single in this context has only a moral responsibity whereas the married party also has a personal obligation.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:10 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
Quote:
I guess my concern is that this is just another dealbreaker, and I'm getting so many, that I'm probably eliminating lots of women. Stuff like ever having had sex in exchange for anything of value (be it money, rent, whatever) is an absolutely dealbreaker for me. Women knowingly having sex with married guys, is a dealbreaker for me..
Look on the bright side. Having eliminated so many, it should be easier to find ONE from among the remaining candidates. You don't need thousands to choose from, if a good match can be found in the much smaller number who meet your standards. Lucky you! Dating just got simpler!

Old 06-14-2010, 02:12 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
Quote:
But it's not even hidden that the divorce rate is incredibly high, yet they still are getting married, knowing the consequences. Something still isn't adding up.

You cannot logically think "oh, there's a 51% divorce rate, but it won't happen to me" when the odds are MORE likely than not than you will get divorced due to just the statistics...
People defy odds all the time. Some build homes in earthquake prone areas, other live in trailers in tornado alley. Most people survive disasters. If people always worried about odds, we would stagnate. Risk is what has made us successful. Sometimes you have to take a chance on love. If the relationship doesn't work, divorce isn't death. Your life won't end due to a failed relationship.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:

Actually, divorce rates have been coming down in recent years - the figure is under 50%, closer to 40% I believe - which means that MORE than 50% of marriages don't end in divorce.

But again, you are concentrating on all the minutia surrounding marriage instead of YOUR own issues. Have you ever considered speaking to a therapist?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi betamanlet,

One reason is attractive people are just more attractive to everyone.

The other is more interesting. Have you never heard of pre-selection? This has been confirmed in studies from birds to humans. Females use other females as proxies to judge mate worthiness. The collective judgment of many females does seem to play a role even all other things being equal.

Though its intresting your perspective since the single in this context has only a moral responsibity whereas the married party also has a personal obligation.
you describe a herd mentality.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, divorce rates have been coming down in recent years - the figure is under 50%, closer to 40% I believe - which means that MORE than 50% of marriages don't end in divorce.

But again, you are concentrating on all the minutia surrounding marriage instead of YOUR own issues. Have you ever considered speaking to a therapist?
I'm saying that the odds are much greater than not that any particular women i date will have done things that I consider to be dealbreakers, and that I would think any rational person, looking for a committed, and stable, life long relationship, would consider dealbreakers too.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:38 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Okay..we know you dislike women..what else is new

Quote:
How common is this, or some equivalent lack of morals in men? I know lots of women that i grew up with, same high school, that have at some point, been involved with married guys. I know more women who have done this than have not. It can't be some giant coincidence, right? That I just happen to know a lot of females lacking morals? The lastest one is my best friend's sister... is this just something you're going to have to accept with someone these days, that they've done some horrible things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships