Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 06:13 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,949,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Nicely said. Personally, I love it when the man picks up the check on a first date. It tells me that the guy is interested enough in me to make a small investment. However, sadly, this "honor system" is easily abused. I have an acquaintance who frequents dating sites just to snag a free dinner. "A girl's got to eat," she told me. If there's one woman like this, there's another. And another.

Well, then I hear men kvetching about how they feel taken advantage of — some even mentioned this in their online dating profiles, when I was actively dating. To all of the guys who believe that the man should always foot the bill ... how do you feel about this kind of mentality? Isn't that a little off-putting, to say the least? Does it still make you want to reach for the bill every time?
Women using guys for the first date is the cost of doing business, just like women not being interested. The guy still pays. And frankly, any guy who can't afford to lose the cost of one entree at a normal restaruant once in a while shouldn't be dating.

That said, I've seen some women here post that men need to purusue them and do all the work and they may or may not eventually get interested. No. One date. At the end of it she is either interested in me or not. But I'm not footing the bill for 5 dates while she decides. One first date for evaluating, and the rest for growing a relationship. Not paying for 5 "first" dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,920,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
And frankly, any guy who can't afford to lose the cost of one entree at a normal restaruant once in a while shouldn't be dating..
And frankly, that's the most ignorant thing I've seen posted here.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:22 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,992,794 times
Eh pay for one, she pays for one and so forth. Or buy groceries together and cook.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
And frankly, that's the most ignorant thing I've seen posted here.
Assuming every date you go on will be perfect is more ignorant.

Some women won't want to see you again, some will use you for a meal...just pay for the first date and write it off as the cost of doing business and move on. It happens.

What else could you do? Insist she pays? Word will get around and you'll have trouble finding future dates not to mention burning bridges. Just because a woman isn't interested in me doesn't mean her friend wouldn't be, since I'm such a nice guy....but she'll never set that up if she thinks I'm a cheapskate and a jerk for making her pay once I found out she wasn't interested...

Old 01-04-2012, 06:45 PM

773 posts, read 1,262,911 times
Quote:
What else could you do? Insist she pays? Word will get around and you'll have trouble finding future dates not to mention burning bridges. Just because a woman isn't interested in me doesn't mean her friend wouldn't be, since I'm such a nice guy....but she'll never set that up if she thinks I'm a cheapskate and a jerk for making her pay once I found out she wasn't interested...
Oh, you don't know how true that is. There's an "underground" forum in my city for women who are on dating sites and believe me, notes are definitely compared. The guy who doesn't pick up the tab on a first date does not get glowing reviews.

Speaking only for myself: I never wanted to meet a man for a free meal or entertainment. Which is why I agreed to go out on dates very selectively rather than saying "yes" to any guy who asked when I really didn't feel it. It's not fair to someone who might be a wonderful guy for someone else to take advantage of his generous nature simply because I feel I deserve a night out. I'm special, but I'm not that special.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,247,612 times
Quote:
Assuming every date you go on will be perfect is more ignorant.

Some women won't want to see you again, some will use you for a meal...just pay for the first date and write it off as the cost of doing business and move on. It happens.

Don't you guys find all this traditional dating to be a bore? Where's the creativity? Dinner and a movie. Dinner and a movie. Dinner and a movie. Kind of sounds like a snooze fest.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:51 PM

819 posts, read 1,131,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
1. I'm not interested in getting married. I could go into a long rant about divorce and child custody laws, but even if those didn't exist it's still "not for me".
Then do whatever you want. Plenty of idiot girls out there who aren't worth marrying that you can get away with that stuff.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:28 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,735,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Don't you guys find all this traditional dating to be a bore? Where's the creativity? Dinner and a movie. Dinner and a movie. Dinner and a movie. Kind of sounds like a snooze fest.
I agree that it's boring. For me, I never do dinner on the first date. I try to do something that is outside of the normal dating manual.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I find it best to play it safe for a first date. Dinner is an acceptable treat (rather than looking cheap), isn't really a distraction to conversation and allows a lot of talking, questioning and getting to know each other. Since the first date is mostly about evaluation, this works well. And if we can't enjoy each others company without some external activity, then the chemistry probably isn't there.

I do get more creative on later dates.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:08 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,892,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123

I am one of the biggest critics of feminism on this forum,...
Quote:

And now a bit of nausea can be added to that. fail.
What in particular is nauseating or is a "fail" about my embracing of egalitarianism instead of feminism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships