Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,691,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Boring! Besides, it sounds like you're condescending to JJ.
That's exactly what he's doing, which is why I'm done with the conversation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 PM

154 posts, read 291,854 times
filihok, my thoughts are still the same. I think I was editing my post when you replied.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:31 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,360,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Boring! Besides, it sounds like you're condescending to JJ. Your Socratic method would more appropriately be used on the people who insist on paying for women, not on women who pretty much agree with your position.
Boring is in the mind of the beholder.

The point of discussing it was to bring the issues to light. I actually think that JetJockey is a perfect person to discuss it with. Despite my earlier gaffe, I think she's one of the more rational posters in this forum. So discussing with her would lead to a more direct discussion without having to bring it back in to focus all of the time.

Sorry if that came across as condescending.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnny View Post
It has never even occurred to me to pay on a date. For me this has nothing to do with self reliance, independence, or perceived obligation issues discussed here.
What does it have to do with?

Old 01-06-2013, 06:36 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,171,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
What does it have to do with?
Frugality, obviously.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
That's exactly what he's doing, which is why I'm done with the conversation
That's not at all what I was doing. Sorry if you felt that way.

Sometimes the questions do come across as simple, that's because we're trying to get to the root

Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,892,951 times
Quote:
I've talked to many men that have said if a woman splits the check, she's not interested in him and he won't ask her out again.
That's just stupid of them. So they won't ask her out again even if she shows all sorts of signs that she's really into him but simply pays her way? I'd be ecstatic, even though I'm a believer in whoever extends the invite pays.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:14 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,691,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
That's just stupid of them. So they won't ask her out again even if she shows all sorts of signs that she's really into him but simply pays her way? I'd be ecstatic, even though I'm a believer in whoever extends the invite pays.
Nope. My best guy friend maintains that if a woman pays on the first date or argues over the check she doesn't want to be 'in debt' to the guy and therefore isn't interested in seeing him again.

I know this has happened to me on two separate occasions, and possibly a few more that I'm not aware of. One of the guy was really confused, because I saw him a few weeks after our date and asked him why he didn't call...he said he thought I wasn't interested because I wanted to split the bill.

Thus is my life

Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,892,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Hmm, I'll try to think of something while I shave my legs and go get a bikini wax.
Maybe a double standard to some, but I've dated women who didn't do one or the other at some point and didn't disqualify them for it.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Nope. My best guy friend maintains that if a woman pays on the first date or argues over the check she doesn't want to be 'in debt' to the guy and therefore isn't interested in seeing him again.

I know this has happened to me on two separate occasions, and possibly a few more that I'm not aware of. One of the guy was really confused, because I saw him a few weeks after our date and asked him why he didn't call...he said he thought I wasn't interested because I wanted to split the bill.
Couple questions

What happened after that interaction, when he said he thought you weren't interested? Couldn't the spark have been rekindled at that point?

Did you not communicated during the date? You paid but did you hint at, or, gasp, even flat out state, that you'd like to see him again?

This goes back to my point about social mores that no one seems willing to touch.

The reason that mores exist is so that society can function without having to question a person's every action. We know what an action is supposed to mean.

However, since the conditions under which these (men paying, etc) mores were formed no longer exist, the more's themselves are breaking down. Thus, instead of simplifying our interactions, they are confusing them. The mores need to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships