Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 06:50 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
No SHE has a boyfriend I believe ( or did up until i had a break from here ).
That makes her single. When she has a husband she will not be single. Do you think all lifelong single people never had a relationship or are not having one now? It means not married, unless you are a teenage girl that calls herself single because she broke up with her boyfriend. For anyone else not married is single.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 07:38 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
That makes her single. When she has a husband she will not be single. Do you think all lifelong single people never had a relationship or are not having one now? It means not married, unless you are a teenage girl that calls herself single because she broke up with her boyfriend. For anyone else not married is single.
With the declining marriage rates nowadays, I think the usage of the word "single" is changing. Instead of just meaning "never married", it now also means "not in a relationship". I know I use the word this way.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:46 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Short-term, yes if they are going through life changes or improving themselves to be a better person. Long-term, no. I've met people who say they're happy being single but their words and actions tells me differently. Meaning, they either complain about how lonely they are or drink as an escape to avoid dealing with their feelings.
I know a lot of people have blasted this notion, but I agree for the most part. Many people claim they are perfectly happy single but it may have not been their choice to be single, to begin with. Perhaps they simply came to an acceptance of it.

I also think there are differences between a never-married single person, and a divorced person. I was a member of a singles group years ago, that wouldn't admit divorced people because it was strictly for "never married" singles. We had so many divorcees getting upset about that, but the fact is, many people who have been in a marriage cannot understand the frustration of growing older and still being single. They couldn't relate to us and they would talk about their divorce and child custody issues, which the rest of us couldn't relate to either.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:59 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Family law is a state law matter. Last I looked, the US has 50 states, some of which still call it alimony. The fact that your state (MN?) apparently does not, does not make the people who live in states that still use the word "alimony" in their state statutes wrong for using the word that is still legally correct for their particular situation. Why is that so hard to grasp? You were insulting a person for being wildly out of date using the word alimony, but he's probably in a state where it's still called that.
It was not my point, I asked if that's what he heard or if that was what he was ordered to pay. My point was parroting with no experience. Now what is so hard for you to grasp?
The fact that you're putting so much time and energy into proving me wrong about semantics with still no fact or point instead of contributing to the topic is what's really puzzling.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:09 PM

63 posts, read 49,702 times
Singles who love to talk about never wanting to get married when nobody asked them are usually the loneliest.

I know a woman who loves to bash men and talk about how controlling and selfish they are. She claims to be single by choice. This woman also brags about being "intimidating" and a "feminazi." I don't believe that she is happy because nobody can carry around so much animosity and live a satisfying life.

Being in a happy relationship is lovely but it also comes with different challenges. It isn't easy to share a life with someone.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:06 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,533,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I thought it was started by a single person who was lamenting that fact due to his miserable existence?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
No SHE has a boyfriend I believe ( or did up until i had a break from here ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

RE the post I replied to.....

I'm saying that as I've not seen the OPs posts for ages she DID have a boyfriend but as I've not seen her for a while I couldn't confirm at that very point.

And what bollox are you talking with the rest of your post? where did I mention anything about life long singles never finding or having a relationship? and out of pure interest how is unmarried necessarily single? many in a loving relationship that are not married that are not single

Seriously I've no idea how you got all that from my post thinkalot.?

Old 02-24-2017, 01:33 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
You don't know what happened. Maybe they tried to work it out thoroughly, but nothing came to fruition. I like how you assume they just bailed at the first sign of issues.

Well, I guess everyone is entitled to an "opinion" (no matter how insane it is )
You can roll your eyes at me all you want it doesn't effect me any. You called me insane, like that that is supposed to hurt me. I am not here to make friends with anyone so you can think what you want about me. I honestly don't care what happened tbh I just avoid any woman who have been divorced at least once. Shows to me they can't handle large commitments.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:46 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,408,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
You can roll your eyes at me all you want it doesn't effect me any. You called me insane, like that that is supposed to hurt me. I am not here to make friends with anyone so you can think what you want about me. I honestly don't care what happened tbh I just avoid any woman who have been divorced at least once. Shows to me they can't handle large commitments.
1) "at least once"? Makes no sense.

2) And I don't care if it hurts you or not, that wasn't my intention, I'm just stating a fact (and yes, it's a fact). Sometimes, a divorce is simply inevitable (for both parties). In your eyes, a woman should stay in a marriage even if her husband abuses her (emotionally, physically, etc.), ignores her or disregards her, cheats on her, etc.

So, yes, your opinion is indeed asinine.

3) I know of a woman that got divorced once, but has stayed with her 2nd husband for over 20 plus years (that'd be my Aunt with my paternal Uncle). My aunt's niece has also divorced once but has been with her 2nd husband for a long time now.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:53 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,194,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
1) "at least once"? Makes no sense.

2) And I don't care if it hurts you or not, that wasn't my intention, I'm just stating a fact (and yes, it's a fact). Sometimes, a divorce is simply inevitable (for both parties). In your eyes, a woman should stay in a marriage even if her husband abuses her (emotionally, physically, etc.), ignores her or disregards her, cheats on her, etc.

So, yes, your opinion is indeed asinine.

3) I know of a woman that got divorced once, but has stayed with her 2nd husband for over 20 plus years (that'd be my Aunt with my paternal Uncle). My aunt's niece has also divorced once but has been with her 2nd husband for a long time now.
To be fair, 49 mentioned earlier he could understand a woman leaving her husband if he turned abusive. But that, and accidents, were the only reasons he accepted.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:12 AM

28,911 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
CitytoCountryWife Singles who love to talk about never wanting to get married when nobody asked them are usually the loneliest.
I don't know, if I love to talk about single life, however, I am so happy now, compared to when I was married...and that is what I love....
I know several women who have lost their hubby's to cancer and heart attack, and they all say, they would never marry again...doesn't mean they had a bad marriage, but, they do enjoy making their own decisions, going where they want when they want, and not having to take care of anyone but themselves.

Quote:
I know a woman who loves to bash men and talk about how controlling and selfish they are. She claims to be single by choice. This woman also brags about being "intimidating" and a "feminazi." I don't believe that she is happy because nobody can carry around so much animosity and live a satisfying life.
Well, I'm single was in bad marriages, but still love men, not all men are terrible abusers....

Quote:
Being in a happy relationship is lovely but it also comes with different challenges. It isn't easy to share a life with someone.
I agree, marriage/relationships, no matter who they are with, is always a work in progress. But, if you have two compatible people, who love each other enough to care about the other person's happiness, and success, I believe it can be great.

Marriage, however, is not for me....I'm not bragging, its just that some people are so completely independent, they don't want marriage.

Human beings always try to put labels on others who live different than what society dictates to be normal....which is wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships