Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 11:03 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Christians are demonized over a cake, and muslims are defended after mass murders
And that is precisely what is happening in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
While I agree that fundamental religion draws in some crazies, so do atheists. Nobody is immune to this. I say this as an atheist. I think Christians and Muslims feel the same as I did when this happened.
Just read this thread where crazy atheists and new agers blame the killings on Christians. I'd be more concerned about people like them that anyone else in this country, as they are the biggest "fundamentalists" out there.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:16 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And that is precisely what is happening in this thread.
Wrong.

Quote:
Just read this thread where crazy atheists and new agers blame the killings on Christians. I'd be more concerned about people like them that anyone else in this country, as they are the biggest "fundamentalists" out there.
Wrong.

Show me where anybody blamed the Orlando killings on Christians.

What's been said is that FUNDAMENTALIST Christians promote hatred against gays and thus share in a collective guilt every time a LGBTQ person is denigrated, shamed, beaten or killed because of how YOUR god made them.

Quit being such a gutless worm and face up to YOUR sins, Finn.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:26 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
We know how many fundamentalist Christians on this board feel about homosexuality and how "depraved and sinful" it is. That is a given.

Many of us suspect that the negative feelings toward gays and lesbians are challenged only by the negative perspectives of Muslims in general.

As such, what response do the fundamentalist Christians have towards this horrible act of possible domestic terrorism, but certainly a hate crime no doubt fueled by the same teachings against homosexuality that both fundamentalist Christians and Muslims adhere to.

Do you deep down, viscerally feel abhorrence to this massacre? Do you deep down in your heart have a touch of, "Meh, they were gay, so who cares."? Are you angry because a Muslim did this?

Why are these questions asked? Because we have seen so much vitriol against homosexuals on this board that one has to wonder if everyone has empathy towards those killed.
I'm going to respond, even though I am not a "fundamentalist Christian." When I saw that Glenn Beck (whom I would describe as a right-wing Mormon radical, and with whom I almost never see eye-to-eye) had made a statement on Facebook about the massacre, I went in to read it, expecting some idiotic nonsense. Here's what he had to say:

Isis should know, if you try to kill our LBGT brothers and sisters, you will need to come through us all. We are one. We will be a shelter and fierce defender of the rights of all mankind. We will always put our differences aside when push comes to shove. When someone tries to silence, cause fear or kill - we will unite and stand against you. Today the colors of the rainbow blend into one bright white light.

Of course, unlike Beck, most of us realize it wasn't actually ISIS that committed the murders, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the man apparently had actually had a lucid moment.

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-15-2016 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-15-2016, 11:38 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Wrong.

Wrong.

Show me where anybody blamed the Orlando killings on Christians.

What's been said is that FUNDAMENTALIST Christians promote hatred against gays and thus share in a collective guilt every time a LGBTQ person is denigrated, shamed, beaten or killed because of how YOUR god made them.

Quit being such a gutless worm and face up to YOUR sins, Finn.
Well, that's what I thought Anyone targeting gays whether by refusing th marriage licenses of mowing them down in a club, whether Musim or Chrstian or Zoroastrian gets condemnatin from us atheists at least.

As does a pope saying that those shot by Muslims had it coming, or a Christan judge, politician or whatever. Condemnation and no defence. Just as for an atheist who shot Muslims in a car park.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:41 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
While I agree that anyone, including atheists, can apply unfounded blame the dynamics of our country take the big part of the blame. It's as if we have dozens of teams and spectators. Our president has always been a member of one of the "teams" (Christian) which will always carry a bias. We need a spectator in that seat to truly address important issues without bias.

That said, there is no winner of the blame trophy. People are hurt, angry and sad right now. PC doesn't carry much weight in these times. At one point action to address the real reasons for violence in America will have to ensue. Facts, not beliefs, will have to rise to the top or we will continue to live this way.

Why is America so violent?

If you look at Japan, for instance, they are a secular country with little violence. There is no need to succumb to the pressure of freedom to worship if it disturbs their society. You can practice a religion but you can't disturb society with it. I do know they do not allow people into their country who are associated with violent religion. It can have no ties to hostility. I'm not saying we should follow this or even can but it does shed light on the subject.
Officially, immigration to Japan is not closed to Muslims. But the number of the immigration permits given to the applicants from Islamic countries is very low. Obtaining a working visa is not easy for adepts of Islam, even if they are physicians, engineers and managers sent by foreign companies that are active in the region. As a result, Japan is “a country without Muslimsâ€.
JAPAN & ISLAM: The Japanese Don't Have A Terrorist Problem For This BRILLIANT Reason ⋆ Doug Giles ⋆ #ClashDaily

America needs to stop adopting a Christian country persona. We aren't lead by a Christian government on paper but in reality, we are. I believe this is why we cannot address reality accurately. Food for thought anyway.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:43 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
That is an interesting point and I could understand why mentioning it could seem like a bit of a non-sequitur and perhaps even cause people to question their faith to no good purpose, which I suspect is the real basis of your hesitancy. If you raise their awareness that there is so much diversity even in evangelical circles, ranging from this nutter we're currently discussing, to readers of Christianity Today and everything in between, it raises an obvious question: how do I know my pastor / denomination has it "right"? Or that anyone does? And one question might lead to others, and so forth.

I used to assume that most of fundamentalist Christianity was pretty close to my thinking and if I had been really aware of these kinds of excesses, it would have tended to destabilize my confidence that I had found "the truth".

So, yes, perhaps if no one is asking, you don't raise the issue.
We are in southern Nebraska. Our people are well aware of the Westboro Babtist inbreeds in Kansas. THey realize that there are some bad teachings in the world.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:43 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm going to respond, even though I am not a "fundamentalist Christian." When I saw that Glenn Beck (whom I would describe as a right-wing Mormon radical, and with whom I almost never see eye-to-eye) had made a statement on Facebook about the massacre, I went in to read it, expecting some idiotic nonsense. Here's what he had to say:

Isis should know, if you try to kill our LBGT brothers and sisters, you will need to come through us all.
We are one. We will be a shelter and fierce defender of the rights of all mankind. We will always put our differences aside when push comes to shove. When someone tries to silence, cause fear or kill - we will unite and stand against you. Today the colors of the rainbow blend into one bright white light.

Of course, unlike Beck, most of us realize it wasn't actually ISIS that committed the murders, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the man apparently had actually had a lucid moment.
Tragedy can sometimes be an eye opener. I agree, I'm surprised as well. Good for him.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:45 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
You don't have to. Your god has.
Interesting enough, my God does not ask us to do that, either. You realize that, right? Anyone that dares to harm a gay person in the name of Christianity is not doing what our God commanded us to do.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Only fundies.
You said "all who rail against gays", so according to your own logic all who rail against Christians (like you do), have blood on their hands when Christians are murdered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality