Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 08:19 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I notice you leave atheists and secularists out the mix of responsibility which only demonstrates the type of mentality that emanates from the liberal left. IT's the mentality that they can do no wrong, never be wrong, and therefore every single social problem is never their fault, it is the conservatives, Christians and religious people. If you are going to infuse blame as far as groups like NRA then I can say liberal Hollywood shares much blame for injecting countless images of violence into young people. This shooter most likely has seen hundreds of people shot or killed in movies and tv shows which could have fostered his own violent fantasies that he wanted to eventually make a reality. The truth is quite simple. Our society would be a whole lot less at odds or violent if everyone just followed God's basic principle. Put the needs of others before yourself. Love and help your neighbor and someone will help you too.

Marriage is either a sacred vow before God or it is just a label. If it is just a label then a government civil union should have been quite sufficient. No, they need that word "married" because it's really about pushing your ideology onto Bible believing Christians and demanding that we conform to your values. It's no different than coming into a stranger's house and ripping up all the furniture and telling them that you want it decorated your way.

In other words, you want to try to look like you're not blaming us, but yea you really are.

The only hate in our ideology is hate for sin, but I understand your need to ignore this factor because it takes away your ability to scapegoat us. Have gay people been treated poorly by society? Certainly. So has pretty much every demographic or group at one time or another. You make this big claim of discrimination when I am quite confident that the reality is most gay people are well educated, enjoy eating at good restaurants, have no problems getting housing and are financially successful. Exactly where is the discrimination? Interesting enough, Christians face a lot of hate and discrimination from the LGBT community. Any business now that does not support homosexuality usually receives vicious death threats and damage to property. And people who have left the homosexual lifestyle are ridiculed and treated with hate. So stop pretending that society would be wonderful and peace loving if Christians went away.
The first thing I thought of when I married my husband was pushing my ideology on Christians! Yes, I stand here before you and proclaim that the sole reason gay people get married is to push our ideology on Christians.

It's my sole purpose in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 08:20 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
I think people are angry right now, and upset. I must say with a clear mind we are all guilty, I must say we all judge. Atheists, Christians, Muslims, etc, we all look at another and think we are better somehow. It doesn't make us murderers. It just gives us room to improve.

I think this tragedy should serve as a reminder that humanity trumps all. Before we are of any religion, or mindset we are human beings. At this point we are equal. At the risk of sounding like Mary Poppins, I believe we should spread love not hate.

Religion has no reason to be protected by our government, humanity deserves protection. It comes down to this, "if you can't say something nice, shut up," just don't say it, preach it, or dwell on it. Let those who are crazy stick out like of the crowd so we can get them to a doctor. ASAP.

If we stick to this and learn to tolerate each other I think we'll have a better chance at being our best her in America. Until then we are divided. If you are religious please, stop the judgement. From what I hear it's not your job anyway, it's your gods. You are human first, just stick with treating other humans with respect. Atheists, we aren't immune. I give you the same advice.

I know emotions are high, but I hope this can turn into a "we are the world" moment and not a brawl. One thing I hope comes out of this is realizing religious views aren't above humanity or the law of our country. There is no such thing as being politically correct, we need to just accept that fear and resentment will go hand in hand with terrible acts of violence, this is not a choice. Human beings are afraid, are sad, and angry. That's just the way we roll.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:20 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
according to your logic you have blood on your hands when Christians are targeted.
Only fundies.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:52 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
“For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.†Romans 6:23
Apply that verse to the Orlando event. Whose sin resulted in death? Maybe it is assumption to speculate that the club attendees were all homosexual, but it is a gay nightclub. Homosexuality is sin. A man with evil intent in his heart walked in and started shooting….people he had labeled sinners. Murder is sin. The nightclub in question was and is a “Designated Victim Zoneâ€. You can’t call it a ‘gun free zone’, because a radical Islamic terrorist disregarded the law and entered with a gun.
“Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. 5 Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake.†Romans 13:1-5
These people submitted to the authority of government who said that you may not carry a firearm into a place serving alcohol. Why would a government enact such an ordinance? Is it not sin of the civil government to place its citizens at risk of being slaughtered? And is not the civil government in sin if it will not carry out the charge made in verses 3 and 4 above? Some will say that they did, as the SWAT team took out the lone terrorist. But looking back on the event and the many just like this one, what do we see? We see a government that has failed to stop the wholesale slaughter of its citizens by intruders. In traders welcomed by government, supported by government, and defended by government. So while some want to point the finger of blame at an inanimate object of plastic and steel, I will point them to the enablers of these tragic events; their own government. Someone please educate me on how and why it is a good idea to import and fund people who hate you. How and why is it a good idea to deny citizens the means to protect themselves?
Well, violence wasn't supported by Jesus PERIOD.

The one instance in the gospels where an innocent man was about to be arrested resulted in one of His followers lifting a sword and striking off the ear of one of the "guilty." Did Jesus praise Peter for that, or rebuke him?

You aren't really a christian if you don't walk in His footsteps. If you want to be the kind of idiot that thinks everywhere ought to have guns, propose giving them to at least high school kids--if they can't afford it, issue them one with a couple of clips that must be returned at graduation. No idiot in his right mind would then walk into a high school and try to shoot anyone.

But how would that work out. You think a few innocent people might get shot?

The Old West discovered the same thing. Put alcohol and guns in the same place and there are a lot of innocent people getting killed. We considered ourselves becoming "civilized" once we took guns AWAY from the majority of people and wouldn't let them be carried in town. Now we have an NRA that keeps telling us more guns is more safety. Yet over the past decade scores of not only murders but accidental shootings have skyrocketed. Why not let everyone have bazookas as well as AR-15s? Who should prevent someone from buying a fully functional tank, or a Humvee with a .50 caliber on top.

This is one of the stupidest posts in a long history of stupid posts by fundamentalists.

Yet you make it because you are NOT a Christ follower. You are a fraidy cat who thinks the boogeyman is everywhere and you will be safe if you have a bigger, better, faster firing gun than anyone else. Regardless you will soon be dead, and killing another human being for any reason whatsoever will not make a difference in the life you have led, other than to hurt someone else. But fundamentalists love justifying pain against other people. That's why you continue to spew vomit about homosexauls.

Grow up, sonny. I fought in a war. I watched OUR side do some of the most god-awful atrocities ever committed. How about dragging a suspected Viet Cong with a mangled foot into a camp and pouring a box of salt on his wound? That's what war does to far too many of our young people. It makes them like you--no compassion, no love, no sense of justice, and no heart for Jesus.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I notice you leave atheists and secularists out the mix of responsibility which only demonstrates the type of mentality that emanates from the liberal left. IT's the mentality that they can do no wrong, never be wrong, and therefore every single social problem is never their fault, it is the conservatives, Christians and religious people. If you are going to infuse blame as far as groups like NRA then I can say liberal Hollywood shares much blame for injecting countless images of violence into young people. This shooter most likely has seen hundreds of people shot or killed in movies and tv shows which could have fostered his own violent fantasies that he wanted to eventually make a reality. The truth is quite simple. Our society would be a whole lot less at odds or violent if everyone just followed God's basic principle. Put the needs of others before yourself. Love and help your neighbor and someone will help you too.

Marriage is either a sacred vow before God or it is just a label. If it is just a label then a government civil union should have been quite sufficient. No, they need that word "married" because it's really about pushing your ideology onto Bible believing Christians and demanding that we conform to your values. It's no different than coming into a stranger's house and ripping up all the furniture and telling them that you want it decorated your way.

In other words, you want to try to look like you're not blaming us, but yea you really are.

The only hate in our ideology is hate for sin, but I understand your need to ignore this factor because it takes away your ability to scapegoat us. Have gay people been treated poorly by society? Certainly. So has pretty much every demographic or group at one time or another. You make this big claim of discrimination when I am quite confident that the reality is most gay people are well educated, enjoy eating at good restaurants, have no problems getting housing and are financially successful. Exactly where is the discrimination? Interesting enough, Christians face a lot of hate and discrimination from the LGBT community. Any business now that does not support homosexuality usually receives vicious death threats and damage to property. And people who have left the homosexual lifestyle are ridiculed and treated with hate. So stop pretending that society would be wonderful and peace loving if Christians went away.
No you want to arm everyone and kill in the name of Jesus, just as ISIS wants to kill in the name of Allah. Both groups are disgusting and inhumane, no matter how many holy books they wave about.

You focus on the wrong sins. What about the sins of corporate leaders getting fantastic tax breaks at the expense of feeding the poor and housing the homeless? What about the one percent that have doubled their income in the last decade while the people at the bottom have slid backwards or held their own at best? Jesus was quite clear about the love of mammon. It is unquestionably one of the primary topics in both Testaments. But you have six verses that you've sunk in your heart to your own destruction.

How has your life changed a year after homosexuals started getting married? Lost your job? Has your church closed? Is the government giving homosexuals a tax break for donating to their cause like you get for donating for yours?

I think not. Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 06-15-2016 at 03:28 AM.. Reason: Rude posts are deleted.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I think people are angry right now, and upset. I must say with a clear mind we are all guilty, I must say we all judge. Atheists, Christians, Muslims, etc, we all look at another and think we are better somehow. It doesn't make us murderers. It just gives us room to improve.

I think this tragedy should serve as a reminder that humanity trumps all. Before we are of any religion, or mindset we are human beings. At this point we are equal. At the risk of sounding like Mary Poppins, I believe we should spread love not hate.

Religion has no reason to be protected by our government, humanity deserves protection. It comes down to this, "if you can't say something nice, shut up," just don't say it, preach it, or dwell on it. Let those who are crazy stick out like of the crowd so we can get them to a doctor. ASAP.

If we stick to this and learn to tolerate each other I think we'll have a better chance at being our best her in America. Until then we are divided. If you are religious please, stop the judgement. From what I hear it's not your job anyway, it's your gods. You are human first, just stick with treating other humans with respect. Atheists, we aren't immune. I give you the same advice.

I know emotions are high, but I hope this can turn into a "we are the world" moment and not a brawl. One thing I hope comes out of this is realizing religious views aren't above humanity or the law of our country. There is no such thing as being politically correct, we need to just accept that fear and resentment will go hand in hand with terrible acts of violence, this is not a choice. Human beings are afraid, are sad, and angry. That's just the way we roll.
We were a far more united nation before fundamentalists began their political activism. Since that time everything has become black and white, right or wrong, good or bad. That's the nature of fundamentalism. It is the exact same thing in both Islam and Christianity among their respective fundamentalists.

Bottom line, fundamentalist religion of any kind threatens not only the stability of the nation, but that of the world. The christian fundies actually look forward to the Great Armageddon where they can be proved right. They don't want a heart for peace and justice for all men--they want to be RIGHT---and they are--but it is as right wing extremists which should make all of us should be very, very cautious about entertaining any of their comments.

Goldwater was a conservative Republican who wouldn't qualify to be a part of the Republican Party today. So was Ronald Reagan. It was actually a coalition of Republicans and Democrats who passed the 1977 Food Stamp Act:
Quote:
on the Hill, major players were Senators McGovern, Javits, Humphrey, and Dole and Congressmen Foley and Richmond.
A Short History of SNAP | Food and Nutrition Service

But once the Republican Party was owned by fundamentalists, they have done nothing but try to unravel anything the government has ever done to help its poorest people. And again and again they cite "money" as the problem, while funneling trillions into star wars type of defense and an aircraft that the AF said it really doesn't need---

Quote:
The program is the most expensive military weapons system in history, and it has been the object of much criticism from those inside and outside government—in the US and in allied countries. Critics argue that the plane is "plagued with design flaws," with many blaming the procurement process in which Lockheed was allowed "to design, test, and produce the F-35 all at the same time, instead of ... [identifying and fixing] defects before firing up its production line." By 2014, the program was "$163 billion over budget [and] seven years behind schedule." Critics further contend that the program's high sunk costs and political momentum make it "too big to kill."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockhe...5_Lightning_II

It hasn't made anyone safer, but fundamentalists give lip service to Jesus being their shield, while demanding the government cut food from hungry people to keep alive a piece of crap weapon of war.
All fundamentalists TALK about Jesus as their rock, but they put their TRUST in a Glock.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've already mentioned to my wife that I'm tempted to bring it up this weekend at the start of our service. To be honest though, I think my congregants are fairly uninformed and are not even aware of this guy, and I don't want to give him any more free pub than he has. If it were Pat Robertson, or someone that people had heard of, I'd condemn it in a heartbeat.
Well, Patty-poo may or may not say something, but more than that Sacramento pastor have.

Brunswick pastor Kenneth Adkins tweets that homosexuals got "what they deserve"

By David Bauerlein Tue, Jun 14, 2016 @ 4:43 pm | updated Tue, Jun 14, 2016 @ 8:04 pm

Provided by Kenneth Adkins
Kenneth Adkins

Brunswick pastor Kenneth Adkins tweets that homosexuals got "what they deserve" | jacksonville.com
You have a lot of "fine" people preaching on your view of the Bible.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:45 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
I've already mentioned to my wife that I'm tempted to bring it up this weekend at the start of our service. To be honest though, I think my congregants are fairly uninformed and are not even aware of this guy, and I don't want to give him any more free pub than he has. If it were Pat Robertson, or someone that people had heard of, I'd condemn it in a heartbeat.
Here ya go Viz

Pat Robertson: Gays & Islamists Are Allies So 'Let Them Kill Themselves' | Right Wing Watch

Old 06-14-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Here's another one, Viz. They are crawling out from the rocks they hide under to find ways to praise Jesus for killing homosexuals.

Can you not see your view has some serious social ramifications here??
Quote:
Christian pastor Steven Anderson says he’s “not going to cry” about the deaths of 53 people because they were merely “disgusting homosexuals at a gay bar.”

Pastor Steven Anderson is a well-known Christian extremist, and he has a long history of extreme preaching hate. He is known for his extreme flavor of dangerous fundamentalism. Steven Anderson, a Christian pastor from Arizona, has publicly called for the death penalty for members of the LGBT community. Not just the death penalty, but actually public executions. He even publicly prayed for the death of Caitlyn (formerly Bruce) Jenner.

As the United States and the world reacts to the Orlando shooting tragedy with shock and outrage, it appears that Christian pastor Steven Anderson has gotten his wish. 53 people (presumably members of the LGBT community) were publicly executed by another flavor of religious extremist with a grudge against the homosexual community.

Omar Mateen’s own father admitted that he believed that his son’s indescribably horrific crime was carried out because of his hatred of the LGBT community, although Seddique Mateen swore to the media that his son’s actions were not religiously motivated.

In addition to celebrating the deaths of over 50 people simply because of their sexual orientation, Christian pastor Steven Anderson’s literal interpretation of the Bible has led him to speak out as to why women shouldn’t be allowed to work outside the home, vote or get a divorce to end their marriage.
Pastor Steven Anderson has been described as a “dangerous Christian extremist,” and has even used his literal biblical views to defend slavery.
Christian Pastor Steven Anderson: Orlando Nightclub Terrorism

You've got some serious work cut out calming down "christians" let alone condemning others about their "sins."

Old 06-14-2016, 10:17 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Here's another one, Viz. They are crawling out from the rocks they hide under to find ways to praise Jesus for killing homosexuals.

Can you not see your view has some serious social ramifications here??
Christian Pastor Steven Anderson: Orlando Nightclub Terrorism

You've got some serious work cut out calming down "christians" let alone condemning others about their "sins."
Pastor Steven Anderson? His video has already been posted here. I guess you are so zealous to dig up dirt on Christians (which is odd since you claim to be a Christian yourself) that you now have to just repeat whatever was already posted. Sorry, but I don't think a few outspoken pastors on youtube are causing serious social problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality