Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 02:33 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The problem is your side wants to brand any kind speech that is not extremely supportive of homosexuality as being "hate speech". I'm not going to support a lie. I firmly believe it is sin based on the word of God.

Now this pastor's comments clearly are hate speech and I agree, they should be condemned. It helps no one or gives God any glory to call for violence against any group. These poor victims last moments on this earth were filled with terror and gore. How anyone could be glad to see that happen is despicable. We are all equal human beings, and everyone needs encouragement and compassion. That is how Christians should respond.

But some Christians ARE responding with hate, and in the past some Christians HAVE called for gays to be mistreated and even killed, and that's what is being pointed out . And then you and Finn jump in about how everyone who points this out is just hating on Christians .

Viz handled it properly from the start . You and Finn blamed others for bringing it up, and you defended one such guy even though finding out the truth of what he said was easy , as it took me all of 5 minutes that you apparently couldn't be bothered to spend learning the truth before deciding the proper course of action was to attack me because I didn't accept his BS explanation .

You are free to think homosexuality is sinful all you want . You are not free to try and limit their civil rights or call for harm to them because your religion teaches they are sinful .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 02:42 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Yup
Attached Thumbnails
Orlando gay massacre - by a Muslim. Christian perspectives are?-fb_img_1465936869791.jpg  

Old 06-14-2016, 02:51 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yup
Extremely lame. You've just made a direct correlation between refusing to grant a marriage license and shooting 49 people.

Wow.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:53 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post

You are free to think homosexuality is sinful all you want . You are not free to try and limit their civil rights or call for harm to them because your religion teaches they are sinful .
hey now. Let's be honest here. I haven't seen any Christians on this board call for a gay person to be physically harmed because of their choice of sexual partners.

As for the civil liberties issue? That's in the eye of the person making the claim. You say I handled it "properly", then bash them for "denying civil rights". There is no civil right to marriage, and certainly not a civil right to a same sex marriage.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:05 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,731,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
But some Christians ARE responding with hate, and in the past some Christians HAVE called for gays to be mistreated and even killed, and that's what is being pointed out . And then you and Finn jump in about how everyone who points this out is just hating on Christians .

Viz handled it properly from the start . You and Finn blamed others for bringing it up, and you defended one such guy even though finding out the truth of what he said was easy , as it took me all of 5 minutes that you apparently couldn't be bothered to spend learning the truth before deciding the proper course of action was to attack me because I didn't accept his BS explanation .

I wrote a heartfelt post and you just spit all over it. The OP was designed to bash Christians. Plain and simple. I defended the one guy because he was quoted as saying that he absolutely DID NOT want the government to harm people. I haven't had a chance to listen to the audio link but since you already charged me with ignoring it and being unfair, I won't bother now. You are just determined to combat every word I post anyway anyhow.

I am free to defend the right of religious freedom which is threaten by broad scoping the definition of discrimination and civil rights.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I wrote a heartfelt post and you just spit all over it. The OP was designed to bash Christians. Plain and simple. I defended the one guy because he was quoted as saying that he absolutely DID NOT want the government to harm people. I haven't had a chance to listen to the audio link but since you already charged me with ignoring it and being unfair, I won't bother now. You are just determined to combat every word I post anyway anyhow.

I am free to defend the right of religious freedom which is threaten by broad scoping the definition of discrimination and civil rights.

And as usual your response is to choose to remain ignorant of the facts, as you admittedly couldnt even be bothered to make a simple click on a link I went to the trouble of finding and pasting in , and instead choose to whine about how you are mistreated . And before you claim you just haven't had time to click the link and listen to the audio of Knapp, I went back and counted the number of posts you have made since I put that link up, and you have found the time to write out 19 posts since then . NINETEEN . But you couldn't be bothered to take a couple of minutes to listen to an audio that all you had to do was make one click and you would have heard the truth of what Knapp said , in context . Because you don't want to know the truth . You want to be lied to, you want to remain ignorant of the truth, and you have no desire to understand the actual facts . I realize now you are beyond hope in terms of expecting you to deal with issues like an adult , so I won't waste any more time with you .

But Pastor Knapp lied about not saying he wanted the government to kill gays . And another Baptist preacher celebrated the fact that 49 gay people were killed ( post 321) . Whether or not you have the courage to face these facts about your Christian preachers is up to you .

Last edited by wallflash; 06-14-2016 at 03:38 PM..

Old 06-14-2016, 03:29 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've already mentioned to my wife that I'm tempted to bring it up this weekend at the start of our service. To be honest though, I think my congregants are fairly uninformed and are not even aware of this guy, and I don't want to give him any more free pub than he has. If it were Pat Robertson, or someone that people had heard of, I'd condemn it in a heartbeat.
That is an interesting point and I could understand why mentioning it could seem like a bit of a non-sequitur and perhaps even cause people to question their faith to no good purpose, which I suspect is the real basis of your hesitancy. If you raise their awareness that there is so much diversity even in evangelical circles, ranging from this nutter we're currently discussing, to readers of Christianity Today and everything in between, it raises an obvious question: how do I know my pastor / denomination has it "right"? Or that anyone does? And one question might lead to others, and so forth.

I used to assume that most of fundamentalist Christianity was pretty close to my thinking and if I had been really aware of these kinds of excesses, it would have tended to destabilize my confidence that I had found "the truth".

So, yes, perhaps if no one is asking, you don't raise the issue.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:31 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Never ending attacks on Christ followers here.

Remember what Jesus said:

John 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you
You may be a Christian, those come out of the woodwork, but you've never made a single post ever that resembles a Christ follower. Don't try to mix up Christ followers with your sick fundamentalism. You stand opposed to everything Christ lived for. I've certainly never seen a post of yours about love and justice. You believe the opposite of justice is mercy, but in fact it is human injustice which you practice toward Christian LGBTQ members.

Your beliefs are far more closely aligned to fundamentalist Islam than Jesus.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 06-14-2016 at 03:41 PM..

Old 06-14-2016, 03:37 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,915 times
Quote:
As I predict, you stubbornly refuse to accept my very clear simple to understand explanation about OT law. You know, I'll just leave it there. It's obviously that it is your OWN bigotry and hate for Christians like us that you have to lie and label us as extremists and violent people. I have no time or respect for someone who has to resort to extreme dishonesty.

There is no similarity. I have a desire to love and help people. Not hurt them. People like you do make me mad because I just can't stand liars, but that's as far as it goes with me.
Yet you stubbornly refuse to get a broader biblical education. If you desire to love and help people, including homosexuals whom you compare to pedophiles, then get that education. If not, you remain firmly entrenched in that vomit of fundamentalism.

It's obvious you either love your bigotry or have an erotic inclination towards members of your same sex that you cannot recognize without professional help.

I'll just leave it there.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
hey now. Let's be honest here. I haven't seen any Christians on this board call for a gay person to be physically harmed because of their choice of sexual partners.
You are correct , and it was not my intention to suggest otherwise . The "you" was used in general terms and meant to refer collectively to those who oppose homosexuality and homosexual rights .

I hereby amend my statement from " you" to " people".

Quote:

As for the civil liberties issue? That's in the eye of the person making the claim. You say I handled it "properly", then bash them for "denying civil rights". There is no civil right to marriage, and certainly not a civil right to a same sex marriage.

I say you handled your response to the hate speech of other pastors properly .

As for rights to marriage , there is the same right to marriage, however you wish to define the state granting this, for gays as for heterosexuals . Not to be too blunt, but your likely disagreement in the matter is irrelevant .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality