Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 01:06 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Now let's wait for the No True Scotsman apologists.
Oddly enough, it was not a Christian that they quoted, but the spokesman for the LGBT Pride group that stated that. Do you agree with him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 01:14 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,994 times
Never underestimate the effect of hateful rhetoric on the stupid and weak minded regardless of its origin.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:14 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Oh, ok. Anything else?
Glad you agree. Now stop sinning.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:16 PM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Not only do we live in a world where Muslim terrorists slaughter people, we live in a world where Christians cheer them on and lament that the government isn't doing the same.

Sacramento Baptist Preacher Praises Orlando Gay Nightclub Attack « CBS Sacramento
Correction - we live in a world where a small handful of "Christians" would celebrate such an activity. Just like I'm sure there are a handful of atheists out there who celebrate the slaughter of innocent Christians by ISIS.

This pastor's comments are reprehensible and anti-Christian. Here is the Baptist church's official position on homosexuality:

Quote:

“Christians can, and should, minister to homosexuals in a kind, yet firm manner. The church should never turn its back on homosexuals who are searching and seeking to heal the hurts within their lives. … While God hates the sinner in his sin, we are called to love the sinner and hate the sin. In doing so, Christ can work through our lives to touch those lost in a world of confusion and darkness.â€
Stances of Faiths on LGBT Issues: Southern Baptist Convention | Human Rights Campaign

Old 06-14-2016, 02:00 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,286,862 times
Jeff, all that is being suggested and hoped for here is that Christians will do as Vizio has done , and condemn the speech as hate filled nonsense, and condemn the one saying it for being hate filled . Not defending or apologizing or rationalizing the comments , or proclaiming the people pointing out this hateful speech as atheistic haters who just want to attack Christians .

In my opinion any honest and sincere Christian will condemn it in his/her Sunday School and church on any Sunday such hateful religious speech becomes public knowledge .

Old 06-14-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Jeff, all that is being suggested and hoped for here is that Christians will do as Vizio has done , and condemn the speech as hate filled nonsense, and condemn the one saying it for being hate filled . Not defending or apologizing or rationalizing the comments , or proclaiming the people pointing out this hateful speech as atheistic haters who just want to attack Christians .

In my opinion any honest and sincere Christian will condemn it in his/her Sunday School and church on any Sunday such hateful religious speech becomes public knowledge .
Reading Jeff's statement, I think that's what he did. He did not justify or rationalize this guy's comments.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I hereby condemn that sort of speech outright. Please say no Christians are condemning it--because I, as a member of the clergy--outright condemn it. I am certain many other Christians do, as well.

In my opinion this is something that pastors should condemn publicly in their sermons . It's all well and good , and appreciated , to condemn it to us here , but has much more impact being said to a congregation of Christians .

What are your thoughts , seeing that this hatred is being expressed more and more on a nationwide level by preachers from regular churches and not just fringe nutters like the Westboro bunch , who are admittedly not normal believers .

Old 06-14-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Reading Jeff's statement, I think that's what he did. He did not justify or rationalize this guy's comments.

He did claim that Knapp didn't really mean it, and has never came back and admitted otherwise after I linked to the audio of Knapp actually saying what he denied saying .

Old 06-14-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
In my opinion this is something that pastors should condemn publicly in their sermons . It's all well and good , and appreciated , to condemn it to us here , but has much more impact being said to a congregation of Christians .

What are your thoughts , seeing that this hatred is being expressed more and more on a nationwide level by preachers from regular churches and not just fringe nutters like the Westboro bunch , who are admittedly not normal believers .
I've already mentioned to my wife that I'm tempted to bring it up this weekend at the start of our service. To be honest though, I think my congregants are fairly uninformed and are not even aware of this guy, and I don't want to give him any more free pub than he has. If it were Pat Robertson, or someone that people had heard of, I'd condemn it in a heartbeat.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:22 PM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:

The problem is your side wants to brand any kind speech that is not extremely supportive of homosexuality as being "hate speech". I'm not going to support a lie. I firmly believe it is sin based on the word of God.

Now this pastor's comments clearly are hate speech and I agree, they should be condemned. It helps no one or gives God any glory to call for violence against any group. These poor victims last moments on this earth were filled with terror and gore. How anyone could be glad to see that happen is despicable. We are all equal human beings, and everyone needs encouragement and compassion. That is how Christians should respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality