Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2022, 07:38 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,665,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Christians tell atheists that God is going to send them to hell. Religionists tell atheists they are responsible for evil in the world. Religionists tell atheists they are the most "disliked" people in the world. Religionists tell atheists they are immoral. Religionists tell atheists that they "hate" God. Religionists tell atheists that they are atheists only because "they want to sin"...

Why should atheists have any respect for religion or Gods considering all that?
Promoting their Beliefs is to be expected.
For many...those Beliefs come from the most epic & prolific writings/Books in human history. And they believe what is written. It is not personally sourced.
Those writings/Books say what they say...and the Religious relate it.
On the other hand...the Atheists claim they "Lack Belief"...so, they get the things they say to the Believers from within themselves. It is sourced only from within them personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 08:03 PM

16,053 posts, read 7,074,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I believe it is for a variety of reasons. The vocabulary of these individual are indicators of their intent in participating in this forum.
Some may participate because of their disdain towards religious people and/or religious views.
Others may do so to feel smarter than others.
Others do not like differing views so they want to show to others how wrong they are.
Some are legitimately inquiring about others views.

Again, you see the intent by the way the express themselves. Some are condescending, some are rude, some love to put down others views, and others love to be nags.

Some of them claim to be curios but their posts show otherwise. They think people do not notice their ulterior motives.

However, again, some are very honest and open minded.

In my case, I do love to learn about philosophy. To me religious/theological views are not different then different philosophical views in life. So I read about religion no differently than reading about Hume, Lock, or other philosophers just as I may read about what Moses wrote or Jesus said.
Bolded is the worst. They are the ones who are the Truth monitors. They believe they have the Truth.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:44 PM

10,537 posts, read 6,181,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I come here to chat with fellow atheists and the Pagans and a good handful of Christians that I'm very fond of.

If you stay within your own bubble, you never learn anything. It's good to have a rounded perspective on the world.
It's a good thing to see other sides of a story - you know?
It's also a good thing to open up other peoples horizons.
For what it's worth, I'm reposting what I posted on this thread originally.
Nothings changed on my side.

Old 07-09-2022, 02:39 AM

16,813 posts, read 5,014,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above is a valid question for the atheists here on CD who carry that huuuuuuuuge list of grievances many looooooooooooooong decades waaaaaaaaaay after they say they left religion.
The difference is that those who do carry that huuuuuuuuge list of grievances do so because of what religion has done to them.

That huuuuuuuuge list of grievances that some theists have is that atheists simply post on the internet. How militant of us. Hence the other thread about why theists are fascinated by atheists. Why do some fundamentalist theists want us to be quiet?

Old 07-09-2022, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Christians tell atheists that God is going to send them to hell. Religionists tell atheists they are responsible for evil in the world. Religionists tell atheists they are the most "disliked" people in the world. Religionists tell atheists they are immoral. Religionists tell atheists that they "hate" God. Religionists tell atheists that they are atheists only because "they want to sin"...

Why should atheists have any respect for religion or Gods considering all that?
And some delicate religionists lie about us mocking and bashing religion. Why should we be quiet about that?

Old 07-09-2022, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Bolded is the worst. They are the ones who are the Truth monitors. They believe they have the Truth.
So do you. The question is which has the better evidence?

Old 07-09-2022, 05:09 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,665,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So do you. The question is which has the better evidence?
Well...according to you, moral truth is determined by "Society".
And the evidence is...for over a thousand years, the global society has determined it is Theism/Religion over Atheism, by 10 to 1.
So...there's the answer to your question.

Old 07-09-2022, 05:21 AM

16,053 posts, read 7,074,593 times
We all know ways to burst our own bubble: gather knowledge. We know how to read and write, we can read widely and in depth. We can observe how the cosmos functions and surmise. We can listen and extract the meaning from words and choose what texts reveal the information we seek.
Atheists can stop worrying about the rest of the world living in ignorance and incapable of thinking for themselves. Tend to your own religion. Stay in your lane, to repeat the atheist mantra.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:28 AM

50,946 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
The difference is that those who do carry that huuuuuuuuge list of grievances do so because of what religion has done to them.

That huuuuuuuuge list of grievances that some theists have is that atheists simply post on the internet. How militant of us. Hence the other thread about why theists are fascinated by atheists. Why do some fundamentalist theists want us to be quiet?
Even beyond that...who doesn't have grievances. Against religion. Or again their family. Or against their teachers. Or against their employers. Or against a political party. Or on and on. So what? It's the way human beings are.

You make another good point -- how militant we are...because we write. I mean...wow. How horrible that we think and write.

And that last few lines of your post...exactly what I have been saying. They brag about how powerful they are due to their overwhelming numbers, they claim to have the most powerful being in the universe on their side (ready to smite us...or is it smote)...why are they so afraid? We we simply speak they toss out the peace taught by Jesus and go into the 'onward christian soldiers' mode.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:43 AM

50,946 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
We all know ways to burst our own bubble: gather knowledge. We know how to read and write, we can read widely and in depth. We can observe how the cosmos functions and surmise. We can listen and extract the meaning from words and choose what texts reveal the information we seek.
Atheists can stop worrying about the rest of the world living in ignorance and incapable of thinking for themselves. Tend to your own religion. Stay in your lane, to repeat the atheist mantra.
But you seem to just assume that the ancient texts are correct and that we should accept them at face value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality