Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 12:43 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
You are posting right now, you could post pictures if you wanted to. I could fly to you and take dna tests. Tons of evidence. Youre claiming something exists with absolutely no evidence. I can say there are flying whales in space that eat planets, I made the claim so i have the burden of proof, I cant just say "well you cant prove theyre not real".
What if this is 500 years ago ? How would you ever know i existed then without evidence ? . You would have 3 choices, you are not sure , you don't believe it , or by faith believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:52 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What if this is 500 years ago ? How would you ever know i existed then without evidence ? . You would have 3 choices, you are not sure , you don't believe it , or by faith believe it.
When you resort to the "what if" arguement, you are admitting you have do basis of fact to continue your arguement.

In other words, you lose.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:52 PM

895 posts, read 2,367,039 times
Quote:
I would not believe you existed 500 years ago unless i had evidence to think so.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:55 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
Quote:
This is a non-argument. A person can be proven or disproven to exist. A god (or any other supernatural being) cannot be proven or disproven to exist.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:58 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,579,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
WHy do I need evidence to prove there is NOT a god? How ridiculous. You need to prove something is true FIRST than we can look at your real evidence not a book then we can disprove it. I can say right now i have a flying pink unicorn chained in my backyard and you should say "prove it" and I will say "but u cant prove i dont have one!". It doesn't work like that. You made the claim, the burden of proof is with you.
There are people who already have given evidence about there being a God,so now the burden of proof is on you to state there is not one,better yet spare me the details,because I know there is One.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:02 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,675,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
There are people who already have given evidence about there being a God,so now the burden of proof is on you to state there is not one,better yet spare me the details,because I know there is One.
Nope no one has given ANY evidence of a God. Still on you.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:05 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
Quote:
Ridiculous. As has been stated many times...one cannot prove a negative. As to the people who have already given evidence, anecdotal evidence and logical fallacies are not proof (in the scientific sense). That is why I say again, a god (or any other supernatural being) cannot be proven or disproven. That is why it is a matter of faith and belief. It can be nothing else.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:07 PM

895 posts, read 2,367,039 times
Um what evidence of god? There is none. If there was real evidence of god, this would be a non issue, and the scientific community would have come to a consensus and everyone on planet earth would believe in god. But even christians agree, all it is, is faith. Faith is the key word. Belief in something that has no evidence or can't be proven.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:08 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,331,748 times
I don't believe in any god because for one...the inconsistencies in the bible, the fact he never shows up live and in color in any situation, I believe in things that are scientifically proven, like water, air, the ceiling, those things are real, I can see them, feel them, love is real I can feel it or give it ... People used to believe thunder and lightning were the work of some devil or god but it's scientifically proven to be a natural phenomenon. The more science proves, the less is left of these gods and demons. So stay tuned...
Look, there's no harm to me personally in others believing in gods and devils but it's when you try to persuade me of your beliefs that things become hairy. It's a forever argument and science will prove me right, maybe not actually in my lifetime but in years to come...Just like for example the Greek gods and the Roman ones turned out to be imaginary...

Old 08-04-2009, 01:11 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,018,154 times
Quote:
That depends on what you consider to be adequate evidence. Atheists tend to consider that which can be empirically verified as being backed with evidence. On the otherhand, the concept of god is undetectable by logic and scientific inquiry. While religious folk tend to have personal experience which proves to them that there is a god, they are still unable to verify it empirically. If you want an atheist to accept the god belief as fact, then you'll have to prove it empirically. This is why atheists don't bother with trying to prove there is no god. Since believers can't empirically verify that their beliefs are true, there's no reason to believe they are true. For example, there are many people that believe they have been abducted by aliens, although many other people would find this belief to false and ridiculous. While the individual may personally believe it because of a personal experience, people tend to reject the truth of this belief because the person claiming it's true can't empirically prove it's true. Similarly, while religious people believe that god exists, they also can't empirically prove he does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality